Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Your Experience With Huky 500
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Your Experience...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
BV_Climber
BV_Climber
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM. Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch, Virtuoso...
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 9:36pm
Subject: Re: Your Experience With Huky 500

gregr Said:

Another update: I installed the range hood yesterday and tried a pretty dark roast last night to celebrate the accomplishment. One pound taken 15 seconds into second crack so a good amount of smoke. I left one of the range fans on low overnight-- this morning there's no smoke smell at all. The fans in this hood are fairly powerful (760 CFM) so take that into consideration.

Posted November 6, 2013 link

I am curious on the amount of smoke your current hood vent captures during the roast. You mention that you leave one of the two fans on over night, can I assume a vent-a-hood or similar multi-motor setup?

My wife and I are building a new townhome and will be installing a hood vent. I am limited by code in my area to a limit of 300 cfm's as I cannot alter the exterior of my property for make-up-air via condo board rules, this includes the roof. Luckily, I have a 6 inch external ducting, so I'm not totally limited. I am interested in a vent-a-hood as it claims it is an 'open cavity' as opposed to having mesh or slated screens to capture the smoke, meaning it claims industry equivalent of approx 450 cfms. As with anything there are trade-offs, and in this case, it's price. However, we will be installing something regardless so the coffee roasting is a bonus.

That having being said, Gregr I am using some numbers to form my basis of choice. The huky is a solid 1 lb roaster, and I'm on a quest m3, roughly 1/2 to 1/3 the size by batch volume. Your hood vent is just over/under twice the size if I can believe the vent-a-hood 450 cfm equivalency claim. This seems on paper that I should be ok with my proposed set up. My goal is as little smoke escaping into my kitchen as possible.

Does anyone have any insight/advice to this thought process, or other considerations I should perhaps consider?

Additionally, I've a way to direct 95% of the smoke from the quest to within any desired distance to the hood intake acting as a chimney to reduce smoke billowing over the sides of the hood.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
 View Profile Link to this post
BV_Climber
BV_Climber

Espresso: QM. Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch, Virtuoso...
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 9:40pm

I just realized this is probably not in the best spot on the forum, sorry about that.
kwantfm

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014, 7:31am

tonini Said:

For now it's a battle of behmor vs hottop.

Posted November 14, 2013 link

You should be considering the Quest M3 as well then.  More manual control than a Hottop, easier to clean and probably holds its value better.  It's a superb roaster.
masonjer

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 11:10am

I am looking at the Huky 500 as well. It looks like modifications can be made with ease.  I've also heard the heat source can be replace with anything, even possible a stove burner.  Might help with the smoke problem if you could roast on the stovetop?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 9:06pm

tonini Said:

Well the search still goes on, with so many options it is not easy to choose...American Roaster Corp would not return my email...

Posted October 31, 2013 link

I don't think there is an "American Roaster Corp. " But if  you mean "US Roaster Corp," it's true that communicating with them by email can be -- shall we say -- uncertain.

If you were specifically interested in the USRC 1lb Sample Roaster, it's $6K.  Worth it for what it is, but way beyond your stated limit.  

The best choices within your budget are the HotTop, Quest and Huky.  Each has its set of strengths and weaknesses, and, price aside, is worth serious consideration on its own merits. I know that sounds like something Coffee Lover's Mag would say, but it's true.  The each fill a slightly different set of needs; without more specifics about you it's hard to make a specific recommendation which goes beyond our own prejudices.  

You said you found the Huky's greater capacity interesting.  If you're planning on roasting more than four or five pounds one day per week, you need it.  But, that's a lot of coffee.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Your Experience...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.27628493309)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+