Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Home Coffee Roasting Safety
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Home Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 6:16am
Subject: Re: Home Coffee Roasting Safety

I wear a long sleeve cotton or light wool shirt when roasting to avoid brush ups with hot surfaces.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
onthemoors

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop, Behmor
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 7:56am

Good thread and good advice yet all kitchens should be equipped with a fire extinguisher even if someone isn't roasting coffee.

My paper regularly prints stories about people burning down their homes due to grease fires or other food related fires. Reflecting back in my school boy days we were taught about using flour, stop drop and roll, so the only thing that changed is what's getting cooked or baked.

At the end it still al comes back to the people taking control and responsibility.
 View Profile Link to this post
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 9:19am

onthemoors Said:

My paper regularly prints stories about people burning down their homes due to grease fires or other food related fires. Reflecting back in my school boy days we were taught about using flour, stop drop and roll, so the only thing that changed is what's getting cooked or baked..

Posted March 30, 2012 link

Ive had a grease fire in my house.  Petrifying to say the least.  Put it out by putting a lid on the pan but lifting the lid only reignited it.  Kept the lid and stood watch until all was safely cooled outside.  Reading a story or advice on a coffee forum is one thing, but an eye opener is actually having a fire in your house.  Ive had fire in my behmor too.  Followed the wise direction of NOT opening the door and all was "safely" kept contained in the behmor.

The likelihood of burning your house down with a home roaster probably isn't very high, but with the risk of burning your house down and killing someone is worth whatever that fire extinguisher costs and the time hanging out by the roaster.
infinus

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 10:33am

If you can find some thin heat gloves they also provide some brief protection on hot surfaces while still letting you work an extinguisher.
Snaxx

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 9:25pm

If you can find some thin heat gloves they also provide some brief protection on hot surfaces while still letting you work an extinguisher.

You shouldn't need anything too expensive like welding or woodstove gloves for standby use with a roaster.  All we use in the fire department on wildfires is lightweight leather work gloves, nothing major like heavy duty structure fire rated gloves. your roaster fire with at the most, a pound of beans inside, likely shouldn't be requiring too much handling or attention to either wait until it's out or to hit it with some baking soda or an ABC extinguisher.

Netphilosopher Said:

Interesting side note: this is exactly the effect that converted wood-gas or coconut-husk-gas vehicles take advantage of.  Combustion of wood and husk products in a low oxygen environment (smoldering) produces flammable gas that can be sent directly into the carburetor of a vehicle.

Back in the early days of the Mother Earth News, there was a piece or two on wood or coal gasification systems people had built and installed to run a vehicle.  Quite bulky installation for one, and you needed to plan ahead if you had to get anywhere, since it took a while to build up enough gas to get it moving.  I'd seen a short TV news story one time on one of these cars, and there was a definite smoke issue to deal with.  They were so large and took up a lot of space in the passenger compartment.

Ken
jkoll42

Espresso: VBM DD V3, Gaggia Baby Class
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid, Bunn...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Roaster: Honey Badger 1K, HG/BM
Posted Sat Mar 31, 2012, 5:45am

I would also add that if you are using electric for the heat source it's a good idea to have a manual power cutoff switch between you and the exit.  It can be as simple as a surge protector.  At least if the worst happens you can cut power easily and only have to worry about putting out the existing fire.  I second roasting at the garage door.  You can always kick/push the roaster out in the driveway and eliminate any immediate threat to your home.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Mar 31, 2012, 10:24am
Subject: .

germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Mar 31, 2012, 10:55am

jkoll42 Said:

I would also add that if you are using electric for the heat source it's a good idea to have a manual power cutoff switch between you and the exit.  It can be as simple as a surge protector.  At least if the worst happens you can cut power easily and only have to worry about putting out the existing fire.  I second roasting at the garage door.  You can always kick/push the roaster out in the driveway and eliminate any immediate threat to your home.

Posted March 31, 2012 link

I dont think I will be kicking my roaster out the door at 130lbs nor would I want to damage it. For big expensive machines I suggest co2 extinquisher but since they are $200+ I don't think it is an option for most home machines but for my Diedrich it is a small price for piece of mind, safety, and will not gum up the interior with chemicals. Smaller under $1k machines are pretty easy to access all parts so I would not hesitate to use an under $20 ABC chemical extinquisher ( the kind that should be in every kitchen).
OGmahatha

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2012, 11:18am

I like to wear safety goggles in case the drips splash me in my eyes!! hahaha
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Rascally
Rascally
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 10:37am

Hello everyone... a junior roaster here.

Does anyone have experience with refurbishing a roaster, after it has been sprayed with chemicals?

There is a moral obligation to ensure all traces of chemical are removed, and that the roaster is, in it's entirety, safe.  But there is also the issue of being able to defend a legal claim related to the machine having been exposed to such chemicals (or other issues related to the fire/heat).

If a fire extinguisher was used on a roaster, what are the concerns related to cleanup and it's use for food processing?

Ref:  "for my Diedrich it is a small price for piece of mind, safety, and will not gum up the interior with chemicals"

Thanks,

Randall
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Home Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.438811063766)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+