Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Time between FC and SC?
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Time between FC...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
boss99er

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 7:59pm
Subject: Re: Time between FC and SC?

Well....my roast tonight was interesting. Instead of cranking the TC up to 480 and letting her go, I did the following:

400 degrees until 5:00 then turned up to 420 through remainder of roast.

Somehow I hit FC much earlier at about 8:15!!! Why would I have hit FC around 9:30 my first two roasts, but at a lower temp I hit it at 8:15. Ambient temp was around 50 degrees.

SC hit at around 11:30 which made me happy....I wanted to extend my time between FC and SC and seem to have done it.

Dumped into cooling rig right at the beginning of SC.

We'll see how it tastes after a couple days!
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: K-30 Vario,Pharos, Vario-W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 2:29am

I'm thinking this likely is to do with the dead band on the TO. By turning it up at 5 min. it was likely heating for most of the time till it hit 1C.

You didn't mention what beans you're roasting (or I missed it). Some are much more forgiving than others. I've found a few now that I do quite well with, the list slowly grows as I try new ones here and there. I've also got a few that I've given up on for the time being.

Don't be scared to try a drip brew a few hours after roasting (espresso not so much). Some coffees are pretty good right away, and you'll get to know some of the flavors that will change/go away with more rest as you go. It's interesting to taste the flavors develop and change as the days go on.
boss99er

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 7:24am

That was my guess as well. I think I'll try another roast tonight but start with a much lower "drying out" heat. Any idea what a good setting would be to basically dry the beans before I crank it up to roasting temp? This is the exact reason I'll likely end up PIDing the TC.

I'm roasting Columbian beans right now. Boring, but pretty forgiving for my first roasts. I have a pound of Ethiopian Harrar that I'm saving for after I figure out how to extend the time before FC and also the time until SC......which I'm told I do NOT want to hit with the Harrar beans.
OregonCityMan
OregonCityMan

Espresso: Salvatore SES Semi
Grinder: Ascaso I-2 mini
Roaster: Torrefattore 1KG, DIY 1/2lb
Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 10:17am

The short answer is you should have a pause between FC and SC. I have been using a DIY coffee roaster I designed a year ago. My heat source is a propane camp stove that produces up 10,000 BTU's. The propane stove is a Coleman and offers six distinct heat settings. I use to start the stove on high, then turn it down to medium, and finally to low. This produced  a roast that was completed in 11 to 12 minutes, and had no pause between cracks. The roast was a bit uneven.

I now use the lowest possible setting on the camp stove for the first four minutes, then turn the stove to the second lowest setting for four minutes, then to medium setting until the FC starts. I then drop the stove down to low for the remainder of the roast. This produces a 15 to 16 minute roast of 1/2 pound of greens. I get a nice pause between cracks and an even roast.

I don't use a thermocouple, as the roaster is a stainless steel cylinder that you spin over the flame. It would not be possible to install one anyway. This is an entry level coffee roaster, but you can produce excellent coffee. I know, as I own a small commercial drum roaster that just sits in my garage now as it is much more of a production to use it due to heat up times. I don't roast commercially anymore.
boss99er

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 12:26pm

Sounds like I have some experimenting to do!
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 2:08pm

boss99er Said:

That was my guess as well. I think I'll try another roast tonight but start with a much lower "drying out" heat. Any idea what a good setting would be to basically dry the beans before I crank it up to roasting temp? This is the exact reason I'll likely end up PIDing the TC.

Posted February 19, 2014 link

These are the kind of questions I'm also trying to get answers to right now. My roasts however usually go to 12 min. or so to 1C. Not sure why yours are going quicker. Did you disconnect the heating element to your sc? That is common practice as the TO puts out plenty of  heat for the roasts. Almico over on HB is getting really long roast times on the other hand and seems to need the extra heat, not sure what's going on there, it seems way out of the norm compared to mine and what I saw on the old threads about SC/TOs when I built mine. Also I don't preheat my setup.

A couple of my favorite beans right now are Mexican Chiapas- really good slightly nutty flavor, and Brazil Conquista- nice smooth chocolaty flavors, both pretty easy to get a good roast from.

Good luck with tonights roast!
boss99er

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 2:27pm

Man....there must be quite a variation in the turbo ovens. I disconnected the heat element in my SC, so that's not contributing. While I was building mine I read that the TO puts out plenty as you mentioned, so disconnected that right away. I also do not preheat mine. Last night I threw the beans in set it to 400 degrees and let it run for 5 min. At that point I kicked it up to 420 and it hit FC faster than if I just set the TO to 480 and let her rip. Ha ha, no idea.....

I do like a nutty coffee....so maybe after my harrar I'll try the Chiapas!
boss99er

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 8:44pm

Ok.......I have no idea. Tonight I set the TO on 300 for the first 6:30. At 6:30 I turned it up to 350. Again I was into FC by 9:15!!! I left it at 350 and hit the first crackles of SC at 11:30....at which time I immediately dumped. My goal is to extend the time before and after FC to get more of a complex flavor.

I wonder, am I doing too small of batches? I've been doing 6oz batches. Maybe if I kick it up to a half pound (8oz) it might help me extend my time getting into FC. I really want to figure this out before I try it on my Ethiopian Harrar.

Whatcha think fellas?
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 9:44pm

A couple things:
Setting the TO thermostat to a temperature will have the heater full on until that temperature (or there-about) is reached, at which time the heater will turn off for a period of time. Is there an indicator light that tells you if the heater element is on or off? and does the heater cycle during the roast? If so, when?

How are these batches tasting that you have done already?
When you get a temp probe in there, it will be somewhat easier to tell what is going on when.
I don't see any problem with reaching first crack at 9:15 into the roast as long as the beans are not scorched or tipped. (burnt spots on the beans)

Once you get good control of the heater and ET, all roasters benefit from a thorough preheat.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014, 2:04am

You're probably on to something with the batch size. I usually do 12 oz. roasts and don't think I ever did less than 8 on the scto. I wonder about your thermostat though. I put an oven thermometer in mine early on when I got it and found the temps to be surprisingly right on. Maybe yours is faulty though?

As you go along, if you like all this, you'll more than likely start buying more beans at a time and a half pound of this or a half pound of that won't be such a big deal. I'm way beyond the starting out stage- I bought a pound of roast coffee from a roaster in Salem Or. when I went down for Thanksgiving last fall. I usually treat myself to a pound for my birthday- IIRC I bought some Intelligentsia last year. Other than that it's all home roast, for better or worse. I buy from 10 to 30 lbs. at a time of the ones I know I like. 5 lbs. just to try one. I usually buy from green coffee buying club or green coffee coop.

Just giving you an idea of where this can lead.... but buying a pound of this and a pound of that thinking you're going to get the first or second 1/2 lb roast just right can become a frustrating experience (maybe not so much when you really get things down but that doesn't happen overnight). So this is also I guess food for thought.

Be prepared as well- you'll find even your mediocre roasts will be raved over by friends who drop by and you'll likely tend to go thru more coffee than you're used to.

Guess I've rambled enough for tonight, busy day at work and I'm tired. Still debating whether to have the espresso machine come on so it's warm when I get home at night, a capp would be good right now.
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Time between FC...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.281069993973)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+