Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Time between FC and SC?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Time between FC...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 3:08pm
Subject: Re: Time between FC and SC?

boss99er Said:

Thats exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks! I think I'll pick this up and start experimenting with placement. With the temp kind of riding on the beans, do you get a pretty accurate bean temp?

Posted February 17, 2014 link

On the beans not so much- if you can get it down in the beans better. I haven't played around with it that much as I've been using other roast methods more over the years. As I said this is something I'm just now looking at much more than in the past.
 View Profile Link to this post
boss99er

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 3:10pm

Oh wow! Purchased.

It'll fit my needs for now. Thanks for the link!
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 3:10pm

]

Frost Said:

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

..here's another in the US for less.....

But the display will be a problem for my use... I like the difference feature, but need the actual temp display as well.

Didn't notice where it was- just did a quick search for the model number. Gotta run- should have left for work 5 min ago! Later :)
boss99er

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 3:13pm

Gotcha. Well, if you come up with any good ideas, let me know!

CoffeeRon Said:

On the beans not so much- if you can get it down in the beans better. I haven't played around with it that much as I've been using other roast methods more over the years. As I said this is something I'm just now looking at much more than in the past.

Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 3:34pm

The BT probe placement may be tricky on the SC/TO. As I recall the TO throws the heated air out towards the edge and draws in from the center. If this is correct, look to put the BT probe closer to the center, farther away from the heated air inlet.  Spend some time with a good search engine (not the one on CG) and see what others have done here and on HomeBarista, homeroasters.org.

..but if I could only have one probe, I would take ET over BT.  If you have good visual feedback of the beans, and can hear the cracks, then you at least have that to guide the bean progress. The ET is your roasting temperature and this is more critical to get right. If you get a good ET profile, the beans will follow.
boss99er

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 3:37pm

Thanks for the info!

Yeah I have a great visual on the beans, and can hear the FC and SC very clearly. So...once this thermocouple arrives I'll place it to measure ET and go from there.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 3:02am

Here's a link to a thread on HB I've been involved in where a guys just a little ahead of you in the game. You should find some helpful info there. He's just ordered a PID for his and I'm debating with myself ordering the same one or maybe trying a different one.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Personally I have a hole in my sc that puts my probe into the bean mass. Just occurred to me I never mentioned that to him, I've really just this past week started messing with the thermometer again and still mostly just go by sight/sound/smell on when to stop the roast.
boss99er

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 7:12am

You don't happen to have a pic of where your temp probe goes in, do you? Everything I'm imagining would get in the way of the stir arms if it was in the bean mass...but maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong.

Thanks Ron!

CoffeeRon Said:

Here's a link to a thread on HB I've been involved in where a guys just a little ahead of you in the game. You should find some helpful info there. He's just ordered a PID for his and I'm debating with myself ordering the same one or maybe trying a different one.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Personally I have a hole in my sc that puts my probe into the bean mass. Just occurred to me I never mentioned that to him, I've really just this past week started messing with the thermometer again and still mostly just go by sight/sound/smell on when to stop the roast.

Posted February 18, 2014 link

CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 2:22pm

boss99er Said:

You don't happen to have a pic of where your temp probe goes in, do you? Everything I'm imagining would get in the way of the stir arms if it was in the bean mass...but maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong.

Thanks Ron!

I have a 6" wire probe I slip in a hole that does put it right over the stir arms. I added a couple big lugs (wiring type) to the stir arms last summer when my Freshroast died and have to be careful not to slip it in too far now as it can interfere a tad- I think if you slip one of the flexible ones in right there it would work as well or better.

My thinking right now is that a good ET reading or even PIDing that will be more helpful to me. I typically like to roast past first crack but not into second. What I've been reading lately is telling me that if I spread that time out after first crack I'll develop sweeter flavors. I am currently awaiting the book by Kenneth Davids- Home coffee Roasting, and looking forward to what I might learn from that.

I'll try to take some pics of my set-up this week. I just started swing shift this week and things are a bit topsy-turvy for me. Thank God for coffee!
boss99er

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 3:21pm

CoffeeRon Said:

Thank God for coffee!

Exactly! Ha ha. I'll look for your update. In other news, I got some Etheopian Harrar that I'm excited to try. I was warned to be sure I do NOT get into second crack with them. I'll practice extending my time into FC and get that down before I even try roasting these.
showing page 3 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Time between FC...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.368562936783)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+