Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Time between FC and SC?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Time between FC...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
Author Messages
boss99er

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 9:22am
Subject: Time between FC and SC?

Hey guys, just completed my second roast. Should there be a "quiet time" between FC and SC? Mine seem to carry right into each other with no discernible time between them. My FC (sharp snaps) started at 9:15 and my SC (subtle crackles) are noticed at 11:15.

I'm using a home built Turbo Crazy. For the roast I had it set to 480 the whole time. I think I'm just ramping up heat too fast and flying right through the two cracks. On my next roast, I considered setting to 480 until FC starts, then dropping to 440 for the rest of the roast. Sound like a solid plan?
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 11:42am
Subject: Re: Time between FC and SC?

From my experience simply turning it down right then probably won't cool it down quick enough to help, especially running at 480. You might try running a bit cooler from the start (try 450 for starters), and shoot for a bit longer till first crack. From there turning it down will be more responsive as it won't be heating as fast. Lifting the TO to cool it down more helps as well. The more you roast the better feel you'll have for what it's doing and what it's going to do. Enjoy!
boss99er

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 12:53pm

Cool! Thanks for the info! How long should it take to hit first crack? Is 9:15 way too fast? I'll try setting the heat at 450 tonight and try to hit FC a little later and see if there is a space between cracks. I've been keeping very careful notes, so I should be able to note changes.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 12:58pm

I wouldn't say WAY too fast but going even as far as 12 min or more till first crack can make for some good roasts.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 1:15pm

BTW how are you cooling your beans? The time it takes to cool will make a noticeable difference in your end result. I started out just pouring back and forth between colanders in front of a fan. Didn't work very well really.

A very nice bean cooler can be made by picking up a small cheap shop vac and a 5 gal. plastic bucket. Cut a hole in the side of the bucket that the vacuum hose will just push in snug (about mid way up is what I did), cut a hole in the lid that a colander will sit say half way down in.

When your roast has finished dump the beans in the colander and turn on the vac. Stir with a wooden spoon or whatever for a couple min. and you're good. This simple setup works surprisingly well.
boss99er

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 1:46pm

My cooling rig is EXACTLY as you described. The 5gal bucket, shop vac, etc. I can get my beans down to ambient temp in about 1 minute.

Ha ha......as I was reading your description I started laughing because you were describing mine exactly!
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 1:51pm

You can back off the heater a bit to slow the finish, but be very very careful here. You don't want to ever 'cool' the beans during the roast, always keep your oven temperature higher than the bean temperature. It helps to have accurate and well placed thermometers in the roaster to measure your bean temperature and oven temperature. (referred to as Environmental Temperature in coffee roasting) Also having good thermostat control of the heater to avoid wide swings in the temperature when it cycles on and off. (Variac, PID or some form of proportional control)
boss99er

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 1:59pm

Got any recommendations on a good multi-probe thermocouple.....that isn't insanely expensive?
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 2:06pm

I've been using this one for ET for about 6 years now. It matches a 400F mercury thermometer fairly well:
http://www.web-tronics.com/csi6500.html

(not multi-probe though...)

For a bean probe, I'm just using one of the digital 'oven thermometers' available at kitchen stores. Make sure it can handle 450F+ temperatures.
boss99er

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 2:10pm

Bean temp might be tricky to measure with my turbo crazy. I'll have to brain storm how to do that....

Frost, what type of roaster do you use?
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Time between FC...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.248837947845)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+