Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Broke my Toastess
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Broke my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jjtjp

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Feb 7, 2014, 3:34pm
Subject: Broke my Toastess

BG info (extra): So I've been roasting with a modified Toastess air popper for about a year now and have not had any issues. My setup was to split the power to the motor and the heater. The heater was plugged into a router speed controller which received 110 from the wall, and the fan received stepped down voltage from a transformer which was passed through a fan dimmer. Like I said it's been working great, until I did something really dumb. I got done roasting and dumped my beans to cool and then wanted to turn the roaster back on to cool it too (perhaps one of the reasons it's lasted so long) and I plugged the fan cord straight into the wall forgetting that it couldn't handle it. The circuit breaker tripped and my fan motor is toast. I've already ordered another one because I can't go too long drinking store bought coffee :-D.

My Question: I was thinking I would try and search for a new motor to replace the one that burned out so I could have a backup. The text on the motor reads "Jin Ba Motor JRS-365-1983" and google is unhelpful. I've never tried an source a motor before and I wouldn't really know what specs I need either. I think it was around an 20Vdc motor but I have no idea on rpm. Is there anyone here with expertise in that area that could offer help? Thanks in advance.

--
jc
 View Profile Link to this post
Snaxx

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Sat Feb 8, 2014, 8:13pm
Subject: Re: Broke my Toastess

Smoked your motor?  Bummer!!

I'd doubt finding a brand new motor would be easy or cheap.  Finding another air popper at a thrift store would likely be the cheapest way to get back to roasting.  Ebay has a few Toastess poppers listed right now, but those prices of the few I looked appear to be a lot more than they'd likely go for in a thrift store.  Amazon had new ones listed for about the same as most of those on Ebay.  Of course it all depends how soon or how bad you want it.  A lot of these poppers come down the same line as similar brands with common parts, so the thrift store find of a similar brand could produce what you need.  I needed to replace a bearing in the motor of my I Roast after many pounds were roasted.  The Chinese motor in this roaster had similar configurations in other cheap import appliances.  I managed to find a small blender that had the same brand motor that was lightly used that had a similar bearing to replace the worn out bearing, for about $5.  Should be good for another 300 pounds for a simple repair operation.
jjtjp

Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014, 5:06pm

Well, I've already purchased another popper so this would just be for experimentation/backup. There are several motors available online for around 5 bucks that meet the physical criteria, but I was more or less just asking about what would be needed as far as RPM and torque specs. There seem to be several people on here who have hacked the crap out of some poppers so I was just fishing for info. Thanks.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Feb 12, 2014, 7:38pm

Sorry I can't help with motor specs, but they are just a cheap dc can motor. I would suggest to put the remaining parts in a 'spare parts' bin.  Use some other connector for the low voltage such that it is impossible to ever plug this into 120AC. This is good safety practice.
TechBean
TechBean

Espresso: LSM Practical 95E, Arcelik...
Grinder: Mazzer
Vac Pot: Cona
Roaster: Popcorn popper
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 10:54am

jjtjp Said:

BG info (extra): The circuit breaker tripped and my fan motor is toast. --
jc

Posted February 7, 2014 link

Is there a rectifier bridge on the motor?  I did the same thing replaced the bridge, motor came back to life.
jjtjp

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 11:01am

That's an excellent point. I was thinking that diodes would fail as an open circuit so I checked for continuity between each of them. But they may have just failed by losing their one way-edness (invented word). In that case I could still check the motor by hooking it directly to a DC power supply. Maybe I'll try that. Thanks for making me think about that again.
jjtjp

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 11:26am

Confirmed. Just the diodes blew. Not sure why I didn't check them before. Unfortunately, I had to drill out one of the screws to separate the motor from its housing and there is metallic dust inside the motor stuck to the magnets. I'll put it all back together with a new bridge rectifier and see how long I get out of it. Thanks again!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Broke my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Oy, Don't Forget the Tea
Because not everyone drinks coffee.  Organic, English Breakfast tea, as low as $16/lb.
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.250814914703)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+