Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Home Coffee Roasting Safety
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Home Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 11:35am
Subject: Re: Home Coffee Roasting Safety

My roasting "authorities," (Dan Joliff, Mike Perry, etc.) say that for most roaster fires (almost always chaff or over-roast fires) an ordinary spritz bottle filled with water is all you need as an extinguisher. Not only that, it's all you really want.  

There's almost never a need for a chemically charged fire extinguisher.  And since they can destroy a roaster (or at least make for a difficult clean-up), they're not a good first resort.  

But "almost never" is not the same thing as "never ever."  Why not have an extinguisher around in case the chaff fire does something dangerous like spread to a structure?  We have an ABC one size bigger than we could conceivably need, hung in our roasting / smoking / grilling patio.  Better safe than sorry. Besides, it looks cool.    

By far, the most important safety measure is being there and paying attention.  NEVER EVER LEAVE AN ACTIVE ROAST FOR ANY REASON.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 6:39am

Netphilosopher Said:

Public service announcement worth repeating:

Even if you never roasted coffee, a fire extinguisher is the best insurance you can buy for less than 20 bucks. If youíre a coffee roaster, it may just be your best friend. Choose a fire extinguisher intended for kitchen or garage useÖ more specifically, a dry chemical model thatís rated for oil, electrical and wood fires.

2) Mount that extinguisher near your roaster. Note that I donít say *above* your roaster, but *near* it. Youíll want to be able to grab that extinguisher without having to reach over a burning roaster. Better still, get two, and place one near, and one on the other side of the room. (While Iím not exactly paranoid, I have three extinguishers strategically located in my garage where I do most of my roasting.)

3) Never leave your coffee roasting unattended. Never ó ever! ó walk away with a roast in progress. Iíll admit itÖ I used to have a laissez faire attitude toward roasting. Iíd start a roast and wander off to do other things for 10 or 15 minutes while the roast progressed. I got an attitude adjustment one day when roasting a batch of Yemen coffee ó a batch that had some odd-sized and curiously-shaped beans ó some of which wedged between the seams and completely jammed up the drum in my roaster. I was lucky. I was just the other side of the garage when I heard the jam occur. If I hadnít been on the scene it may have been only a matter of moments before those beans ó no longer happily tumbling ó burst into flame.

4) A clean roaster is a happy roaster. Not only does a clean coffee roaster do itís job more efficiently, itís also far, far safer. No matter what kind of roaster you have, regularly clean-up the chaff ó the papery skin thatís released by roasting coffee beans. I clean chaff from my roaster between each and every roast. Bonus tip: Donít vacuum chaff out of a hot roaster! Smoldering bits of chaff that would probably be of no consequence at all left in your roaster until it cools could ignite in dramatic fashion should you fuel them with a lot of wind. While your roaster can probably take the heat, chances are your shop-vac wonít.

5) Donít disable your home smoke-alarm just because your coffee roasting sets it off. Get better ventilation, roast outdoors, or just learn to enjoy the occasional test of your smoke alarm. That way you can rest assured itíll be there if you need it.

Posted March 29, 2012 link

Netphilosopher Said:

Reposted from the following site:
Click Here (www.bloggle.com)

You can do what you like, but the near-inevitability of combustion is why I roast outside - it's not a "right" answer, it's just my personal choice.

Posted March 29, 2012 link

Worth bringing this pack to the top.

I always roast outside for this reason (and the stinky smoke).

My outdoor fire safety consists of a spray bottle with a garden hose as a backup.  Dedicated 20 amp GFI circuit so water should not be an issue

moosepucky: roast2_01-27-2014.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Rascally
Rascally
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Feb 19, 2014, 10:36pm

Hi folks,

I'd like to post my question again...

Does anyone have experience refurbishing a roaster after it has been sprayed with fire extinguisher chemical?

- ref:  mono-ammonium phosphate and ammonium sulphate

My roaster (a Diedrich IR series) was doused with an ABC fire extinguisher. The dust cloud may have travelled up the drum exhaust duct and into the drum (450 deg.F)  My research, as a layman, has me thinking that a simple cleanup is all that's needed.  (breather, vinyl gloves, and goggles for personal safety, scraper, wire brush, vacuum, repeat, and repeat again, water wash down.)

I'm hoping to find information from a Roaster who has gone down this road before me...  

Cheers all,

Randall
 View Profile Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Sat Feb 22, 2014, 11:21am

Rascally Said:

Hi folks,

I'd like to post my question again...
Cheers all,

Randall

Posted February 19, 2014 link

Welcome to the forums.

I know this is your first time posting.

It is always best to start a new topic if your question is not a continuation of an existing one.

Your question about your personal roaster is not part of roaster safety so it would be best to start a new topic in the home roasting area using a title that will bring some one in who can help.  A title like "How to clean fire extinguisher residue from roaster" will let everyone know what your topic is about whereas your question buried within the "home roasting safety" thread will not be seen and not responded to (as you have found out).

Only trying to be helpful so you can get some answers since I can't answer your question

To start a new thread follow this link and click on the new topic button

Link to Home Roasting Forum on Coffee Geek

moosepucky: startNewTopic.gif
(Click for larger image)
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Home Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.285726070404)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+