Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Buying my first roaster
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Buying my first...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
gregr

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Moka
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Huky
Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014, 9:25am
Subject: Re: Buying my first roaster

Since your original question was already answered (I completely agree that the Hottop would be the choice of the two) I'll just add that if you don't mind spending the extra money a Quest or Huky would be far better than the Hottop since you want to be able to manipulate the roast profiles. Haven't used a Quest myself but my first roaster was a Behmor, then I got a Hottop and now I have a Huky. The Huky just blows all the others out of the water, Quest aside, in terms of dexterity. Since the Quest is electric I would guess (only a guess- don't blast me Quest owners!) that adjusments may not be quite as snappy as on the Huky, plus the Huky has that agility with a full one pound load. From what little I've read the Quest is also very agile too. The Huky doesn't have that neat bean stirrer/cooler like the Hottop but the cooling is extremely effective- down to cooler than room temp in about 2 minutes or so. The Huky comes with probes and the manufacturer also offers a pretty inexpensive datalogger as an extra. The Huky is made by one person- Kuanho Li, and he is extremely responsive to questions and he ships fast. However- he's overseas so if something ever did need to be repaired you'd have to wait a week or two for the parts to arrive. And if he ever, god forbid, decided to stop making these magnificent roasters, who knows if we'll be able to get replacement parts. I've had my Huky about 6 months now and it's good as new still. Oh yeah- the Huky is not electric so you need to be willing to use a little propane stove. The one Kuanho offers has been outstanding- like I said, one pound roasts as quick or slow as you desire.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
thepilgrimsdream

Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 11:20am

Man, I think I'm going to wait and save for another month or two for the hulk or quest.

I am getting married in June and not sure where we might be living, so it seems that the quest or hottop are slightly less involved than the hulky, but I have a lot of friends who would buy beans off me(fund experimentation), and get them away from the green mermaid ;) so the hulky seems more practical from a quantity standpoint?

I think I might want to spend 5-10 hours a week roasting
 View Profile Link to this post
gregr

Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 12:59pm

A couple thoughts- with more capacity comes more smoke-- something to keep in mind if you plan on moving to an apartment or condo.
If you plan on spending that much time roasting then a half pound capacity is ok. Rough estimate is about 45 minutes for a roast. That's for firing up a laptop, weighing the beans, getting a notepad ready, jars labeled, etc., to putting the roasted beans in the cupboard and cleaning up. I like spending just that 45 minutes per week and having a whole pound to enjoy- a half pound doesn't cut it for my usage. If you're willing to spend 5-10 hours then capacity isn't really an issue. That said, man I love having a whole pound roasted. Dialing in shots with only a half pound used to make me antsy. Rough math says 10-15 doubles in a half pound- doesn't go all that far. My rough math is 15% weight loss from roasting equals 193g and if the double shots are 17.5g each that's only 11 shots :(
RandomTask

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 1:30pm

If you are considering the Huky 500, there is an absolutely fantastic review of it by slickrock over on the H-B forums: Huky 500

Keep in mind the one posted over there is slightly customized, but should give you a good idea of what it can do. Plus there are tons of pictures and measurements (plus roasting temps in part 3) along with some tips and recommendations of suggested add-ons for it.
Bohun

Espresso: La Vibiemme Domobar Super
Grinder: La cimbali junior
Roaster: Boehmer 1600
Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:45am

For whatever it is worth behmor roaster is rock solid and provides many opportunities for experimentation with roasting profiles.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 11:02am

Bohun Said:

For whatever it is worth behmor roaster is rock solid and provides many opportunities for experimentation with roasting profiles.

Posted February 14, 2014 link

Compared to what?

Rich
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 11:23am

boar_d_laze Said:

Compared to what?

Rich

Posted February 16, 2014 link

What?? there's P1, P-2, P-3...and if you're really feeling adventurous there's even a P-4 and P-5!!
gregr

Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 11:35am

I remember doing that open-the-door trick at the critical moments, along with pre-heating the beans- all the usual tricks and I got some pretty good results. Was even able to stretch out the last phase of the roast to 4:30 with decent consistency and without going further than 10-15 seconds into second crack. Then open the door, stand by with vacuum so chaff doesn't go flying all over the place... that was how I first started roasting and it was a blast.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 12:10pm

Nothing says modern, artisanal profiling like door-wiggling.

Rich
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 12:35pm

My Behmor will be fixed this week (main circuit card went out last week) but I'm seriously considering buying a refurbed base unit for my SR500. I really miss the nice smooth chocolate flavors I used to get out of a Brasil Conquista that I have more of on the way. At least the SR500 would tide me over until I decide which PID to install on my SC/TO and get thru that learning curve. The Behmor will still do for the majority of my roasting for now though I guess.

Sometimes I wonder if finding good coffee was a blessing or a curse!!!!!

Edit- had to stop for a cappa- Definitely a blessing, heck everyone needs a hobby right?
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Buying my first...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.2861328125)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+