Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Buying my first roaster
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Buying my first...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
thepilgrimsdream

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 12:46pm
Subject: Buying my first roaster

Me and my fiancé are looking into getting our first coffee roaster. All my roasting experience has been with our friends behmor 1600, and we absolutely love it. I am currently working as a barista at a local shop and taking counter culture classes. We could see ourselves starting a business a few years down the road without own shop/roaster.

We're thinking either the hottop or behmor. We want to get the roaster that we can learn the most from to possibly transition to a commercial machine like diedrich in a few years
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 2:05pm
Subject: Re: Buying my first roaster

You can do a LOT more towards "profiling roasts" like a modern professional roast master with a Hot Top than with a Behmor.  

The Behmor was designed to be "set it and forget it" for amateur use -- which is a good thing if that's what you want.  But it's not easy to overcome its design; and darn near impossible to get the kind of precision that's become a hallmark of modern, professional, artisanal roasting.  

The Behmor is a good roaster for many people; but not very good for what you want to do; and certainly not good for your purposes compared to the HT.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RandomTask

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 10:23am

I agree with BDL, the Behmor is an excellent machine for beginner/intermediate use, but it's lack of profilibility would make it a difficult transition to a commercial grade machine. While you'd still be able to learn the basics with a Behmor, it's not going to get you that extra bit to be able to consider "going pro".

Don't get me wrong, I love my 1600. It makes some excellent roasts and everyone who I've subjected to my coffee agrees that I've got some pretty tasty roasts out of the thing, but that's by working around the limitations of the roaster by tricking it. I am alright with the limitations it has, but I have no concern about going beyond roasting for me and my family and friends.

I would probably recommend getting a stainless steel stove-top popcorn popper so you can see if roasting is something you'd even want to take up before putting in the cash to buy a "real" roaster. You can learn a bunch about roasting with relatively simple and inexpensive methods. Even if you aren't concerned with the cost $25 for a stove-top popper is way better than $300 - $1000 for something you may not actually want to do.
boar_d_laze

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 12:31pm

RandomTask Said:

I would probably recommend getting a stainless steel stove-top popcorn popper so you can see if roasting is something you'd even want to take up before putting in the cash to buy a "real" roaster. You can learn a bunch about roasting with relatively simple and inexpensive methods. Even if you aren't concerned with the cost $25 for a stove-top popper is way better than $300 - $1000 for something you may not actually want to do.

Posted February 10, 2014 link

I kind of agree and disagree with Matt (Random Task) about this.  Agree, because he's giving great advice -- no question about it -- for many (most?) people.  Disagree, because my own story didn't work that way even though I followed the progression Matt suggests.  

Over the course of many years, I went from a cast-iron skillet, to a Whirley Pop (that's the stove-top popper), to a Behmor, to a Hot Top P, to a modded Hot Top B, to a 1kg electric commercial drum roaster, to my current 1lb, gas-fired, USRC Sample Roaster.  

I didn't put in much effort into acquiring roasting theory when I did the skillet/Whirley-Pop thing, and never got much in the way of good results either -- at least not compared to what was easily purchased in what was then my part of Los Angeles.  

So, I stopped roasting for a number of years, until the first Behmors hit the market.  By that time, I was very interested, sampling all sorts of artisan roasters, doing a lot of reading, following the boards, etc. There were tons of hype and enthusiasm for the Behmor; even more then than there is now.  

But when I got mine and started using it, it was frustratingly difficult to get it to do what I wanted it to do. Everything was a kludge, compromise, or work-around some sort or another.  And the results weren't really comparable to the sort of good beans It tI could buy a few blocks away from where I lived.  It took me a second chaff fire and less than a year to admit the purchase had been a mistake, and move up to the Hot Top P.  

Since then my progress in figuring out what I wanted to do along with my ability to do it has improved with further research, experience, and -- yes, very much -- with improvements in equipment.  

Bottom line:  As far as I was concerned, everything before the Hot Top was wasted time and money.  

A Hot Top B (cheaper than a P, but more controllable and consequently more desirable), modded with BT and ET thermocouples, and connected to real-time roasting software is kind of where the rubber meets the road for the ability to control a roast with enough precision that you can plan and execute precisely enough to say you're roasting as you want to roast, rather than being carried along by the limits of your equipment.  The price for that kind of setup (all new), is pretty close to $900.  

That's a lot of money.

It seems like even more taken in the context that it's $900 for something with agility limitations which make you a lot more proactive and less reactive than you'd be with a real-deal commercial roaster; not to mention a relatively small capacity.  But there you go.  It's what it costs, and you can't do it any cheaper unless you're (a) building your own; AND (b) willing to accept even more serious and more varied limitations.  

On the other hand, it might seem a little more reasonable compared to what it costs to take the next big step.  Something else to consider is that a used HT, especially a lightly used HT, retains a great deal of its value.  If after using it for a year or two, you decide that it's not for you, you can sell it on one of the forums for most of what you spent.  

Randy Glass (aka frcn here) knows as much about the Hot Top as anyone.  He has a wonderful site, Espresso My Espresso, which will tell you darn near everything anyone could want to know about the HT, as well as a lot of other great stuff.  Spend some time there.

It's great that your fiancée is along for the ride.  My wife is more than my companion along the coffee journey, she's my enabler.

Good luck with everything,
Rich
sae

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler,...
Grinder: baratza vario
Drip: Melita one cup
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn popper
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 2:26pm

I would recommend a Quest M3 or a Huky 500
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 4:44pm

I had a Behmor for two years as my first roaster. At the time, I didn't know how I'd like home roasting and wasn't willing to take the plunge and get an $800 roaster.
It served me well for 2 years and I got good roasts out of it (I did mod it so I could turn off the heat at will during roasting). A few weeks ago, I got my Hottop and love it.

As others have mentioned, it certainly has its limitations.
Anything less, for me, would have been too much of a nuisance. If you want something convenient and acceptable to find out how much you like roasting (or have a fixed budget), the Behmor's a good way to go.

If you're almost certain you'll stick with it, I agree that the Hottop is a great choice.
You could consider a Quest or Huky but they cost quite a bit more and have their own pluses & minuses.
JoeyDee92

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 4:46pm

Hey, buying your first coffee maker can be frustrating. I found a website that is very helpful when it comes to buying a coffee machine.http://www.goldroast.ca/What-to-Know-Before-Buying-a-Coffee-Machine
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 4:48pm

JoeyDee92 Said:

Hey, buying your first coffee maker can be frustrating. I found a website that is very helpful when it comes to buying a coffee machine.http://www.goldroast.ca/What-to-Know-Before-Buying-a-Coffee-Machine

But this is about buying a coffee roaster...
boar_d_laze

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 5:16pm

BarryR Said:

But this is about buying a coffee roaster...

Spoilsport.  

BDL
boar_d_laze

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 6:19pm

Quest M3:
$1350.  More powerful and more agile than a Hot Top; but a bit less of a consumer-friendly "finished product." Same capacity as an HT.  No bean stirrer for cooling; in fact Quest cooling is only adequate -- not great.  Adding BT and MET thermocouples is very easy.  Big Quest community, including some fairly big-deal home roasters, who are willing to give a great deal of support.  

If I wanted another Hot Top, I'd probably get a Quest for its power, fan, agility, better probe placement, and very high build quality.

Huky 500:
Price is around $1500.  500g capacity (double that of the HT and Quest.  FWIW, the Behmor's "sweet spot" isn't much greater than the HT's or Quest's.  Behmor says "a pound," but if 10 - 12 oz is more like it).  It's an efficient roaster, excellent bang for the buck, but very kludged compared to real-deal professional type roasters.  Lots of options and choices including drum types and motor speeds.  

That's about as much as I know, as I'm far from knowledgeable about the Huky.  Maybe someone else will chime in, or you could go to H-B and ask there.  

Pro-type, 500g - 1kg electric and gas roasters, Asian and Western:
Prices vary depending on the particular roaster, but the popular Chinese roasters start at very close to $3K.  If you have a real interest we can talk more about these and about the even more expensive and butter built US, European and Turkish roaster too, which start at around $6K, and go up from there.  

It's an expensive starting point unless you know for sure that you'll be using the roaster commercially.  But if you are sure, nothing less makes much sense.    

Once you reach a certain level of competence and quality of roaster (which is well above what a Behmor can do), there's not much you can do with one that you can't do with the rest of them.  The real difference lies in the amount of pre-planning you have to execute in hopes you got it right, some other formidable hoops lesser roasters force you to jump through, build quality, safety, factory support, etc.,

AND...

For me, all that stuff is important, but it's mostly about agility and control; and my USRC Sample Roaster ($don't.ask) does it all.  It's got about a hundred pounds on it since "first light" in November and I couldn't be more delighted.  

(Sure, I know you're not going to run out and buy one, but I thought -- wotthehell wotthehell -- might as well show pic and brag.)

Finally:
Speaking of weight, I've got around 1650lbs of roasting, about 1050lbs on my Hot Top, 500lbs on the Dalian Amazon 1000 (1kg, Chinese, professional, electric), and those 100lbs on the USRC since moving up from a Behmor.  So, I've got some idea of what different roasters can do.  

The Behmor is a good enough roaster, it certainly does what most home users find most important -- give them a steady supply of reasonably good quality, fresh browns from their choice of greens.  But BUT it's not NOT a pro-style roaster and can't be used to profile in the same ways or do the same things a Hot Top can.  Good home roasters using the Behmor realize its limitations pretty quickly, and if they want to profile they sooner or later move up.  Unless you're very serious about roasting, the HT is good enough to be an end.  Maybe not as good as a Quest, but still.  

This isn't meant as a criticism of the Behmor or its users.  It's just the way things are.  As good a starter roaster as the Behmor is for most people, it is what it is.  If you want to do what you say you want to do -- explore professional style roasting -- it's not a good choice for you because it SIMPLY CAN'T take you there.

I'll try and keep up with this thread, but unless there are specific questions for me there's probably not much to add.  

Good luck,
BDL

boar_d_laze: CG Roaster.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Buying my first...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.301234006882)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+