Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
How far into second crack, if at all?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How far into...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:26am
Subject: Re: How far into second crack, if at all?

I am personally able to "tame" acidics in Full City - Vienna roasts.  Full City being right before or at the first sound of second crack. Vienna roughly 30 seconds into second crack.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
scottfsmith

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio S26 / NS Appia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: RK Drum YEAH!
Posted Mon Feb 3, 2014, 7:35am

Frost Said:

I clock 'finish time', from start of first crack until roast end. This for my espresso roast is mostly between 3 and 4 minutes.  Go longer if too tart, shorter if too flat.

Posted January 17, 2014 link

This is the key on whatever kind of roaster you are using - if you want to stay out of 2nd crack and avoid sour roasts, you need to get the ET down as you hit 1st so there is enough roast time to tone down the acidity without running into 2nd crack.  I don't time it like Frost does since I have more reliable data in the form of bean and external thermoprobes.  I have target BT-ET numbers posted by the roaster that I try to line up.  For example, at around 400F BT I want ET a bit below 600F; if its too high compared to that I vent my grill.  This is on an RK drum.  I used to time roasts but different beans behave differently in terms of cracking and I find the BT-ET method is more consistent.  I do change the profile a bit for different beans, the dry processed beans need even more pullback on ET at the end or they will sprint to 2nd crack.

Scott
 View Profile Link to this post
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Mon Feb 3, 2014, 10:50am

scottfsmith Said:

This is the key on whatever kind of roaster you are using - if you want to stay out of 2nd crack and avoid sour roasts, you need to get the ET down as you hit 1st so there is enough roast time to tone down the acidity without running into 2nd crack.  I don't time it like Frost does since I have more reliable data in the form of bean and external thermoprobes.  I have target BT-ET numbers posted by the roaster that I try to line up.  For example, at around 400F BT I want ET a bit below 600F; if its too high compared to that I vent my grill.  This is on an RK drum.  I used to time roasts but different beans behave differently in terms of cracking and I find the BT-ET method is more consistent.  I do change the profile a bit for different beans, the dry processed beans need even more pullback on ET at the end or they will sprint to 2nd crack.

Scott

Posted February 3, 2014 link

Controlling temperature is exactly how I pace the roast timing. I have an ET probe measuring the heated air just before it meets the beans (this is regulated with a Variac), and a probe in the bean mass. It is the relationship of ET to BT that determines the rate of rise during ramp, the drying time, and how long and far the finish. Get your ET right and the beans will follow.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 4:23pm

Frost Said:

It is the relationship of ET to BT that determines the rate of rise during ramp, the drying time, and how long and far the finish. Get your ET right and the beans will follow.

Posted February 3, 2014 link

In an air roaster, yes.  

In a pro-style drum, which relies more on contact for heat-energy transference than on radiance or convection, it's fairly far down the list.  How far, depends on the roaster itself and the (cough) roast-master's style.  

Roasting is very equipment and style dependent.  There are few, universal, right answers.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Frost
Frost

Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 5:01pm

boar_d_laze Said:

In an air roaster, yes.  

In a pro-style drum, which relies more on contact for heat-energy transference than on radiance or convection, it's fairly far down the list.  How far, depends on the roaster itself and the (cough) roast-master's style.  

Roasting is very equipment and style dependent.  There are few, universal, right answers.  

BDL

Posted February 4, 2014 link

Check your 'facts' BDL; In the modern 'pro-style drum' it is convection, not conduction, that is the primary heat transfer mechanism by a good margin.

Regardless of roaster type, Environment Temperature serves as a proxy for the heat that is available to impart to the bean mass from the roaster. Good probe placement is important and roaster type has a significant influence over the actual numbers. (Scott's 600F on the outside of the RK drum would incinerate the beans on my air roaster; not only different roasters, but different 'ET' probe placement).
The relationship of ET to BT, together with the heat transfer efficiency of the roaster has everything to do with profiling the roast.

How far and how fast? Certainly up to the (let's hope) 'roast master', but it is controlled by throttling heat(ET) and (if the roaster is so equipped), air flow.
Bless you.
rmongiovi

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 6:53pm

So what defines "good probe placement" if it matters that much?  Clearly BT has to be in the bean mass, but ET?  Different placement makes for different temperature, but what make one "better" than the other?  And what's the definition of better?
Roy
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 7:22pm

Frost Said:

Check your 'facts' BDL

Sure.   Have a source for me?  Or, can I go by my own years of experience with drum roasters; USRC, who built my roaster; Mike Perry (Klatch), who taught me, Willem Boot, etc., etc, etc.  

In the modern 'pro-style drum' it is convection, not conduction, that is the primary heat transfer mechanism by a good margin.

Not according to Tom Owens of Sweet Maria, who writing about small electric home roasters said: The larger home coffee roasting machines like the the Behmor, (and) HotTop... are drum (i.e. conduction) machines and give a slower roast along the lines of ... commercial drum roasts.... Each of these machines allows great control over the time, temperature and roasting profile than the air roasters; generally the more expensive the machine, the more control (Emphases mine).  Truer still when applied to the "commercial drum roasters," themselves.

Also, it might be helpful if you supplied an example of the sort of "modern 'pro style drum'" to which you refer.  The fact is drum roasters -- with the exception of "hybrids" like the Gene -- heat the drum primarily, and the air-stream incidentally.  

Regardless of roaster type, Environment Temperature serves as a proxy for the heat that is available to impart to the bean mass from the roaster.

What do you mean by "proxy?"  Air temperature inside the drum (i.e., ET) doesn't necessarily track the temperature of the drum itself, in fact sometimes they move in the opposite direction.

Good probe placement is important and roaster type has a significant influence over the actual numbers.

Yes.  

(Scott's 600F on the outside of the RK drum would incinerate the beans on my air roaster; not only different roasters, but different 'ET' probe placement).

Sott's 600F probably isn't accurate; but as long as the reading is reproducible with his equipment, and supplies the information needed to act appropriately, accuracy isn't terribly important.    

The relationship of ET to BT, together with the heat transfer efficiency of the roaster has everything to do with profiling the roast.

The term heat transfer efficiency of the roaster is unfamiliar in this context.  I don't understand what you're driving at.  A good roast master (and I as well) can use independent settings of the gas, fan and damper (if the roaster is so equipped) to control the relationship of ET to BT.   I try to keep ET ahead of BT during the drying process, and let BT overtake and pass ET during Ramp and Development.  

I'm not really sure what you meant, so will refrain from commenting further.

How far and how fast? Certainly up to the (let's hope) 'roast master', but it is controlled by throttling heat(ET) and (if the roaster is so equipped), air flow.

I've never heard ET referred to as throttling heat?  Is there another example?  Whatever you mean by the term, I suspect you're mistaken.  In a professional type, massive, gas fired, drum roaster -- even one as small as mine -- the drum itself, and not the air within it, is usually (but not always) the primary source of heat energy transferred from roaster to drum.  

BDL
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 7:34pm

Agree with Frost, heat control on the Giesen roaster is connected to ET thermocouple. It makes sense when you think about how the roaster reacts to a large or small difference between BT and ET. Giesen burners have proportional or adjustable valves, cheaper machines are on/ off. Now I've only seen the sales videos not the real thing.

Another thing to consider is roasting using sensory landmarks. How long to bread stage/drying? The "A" point Boot Roasting talks about happens just before 1C; I get it sometimes but on every bean. That's a good point to adjust heat if necessary.
Frost
Frost

Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 8:19pm

rmongiovi Said:

So what defines "good probe placement" if it matters that much?  Clearly BT has to be in the bean mass, but ET?  Different placement makes for different temperature, but what make one "better" than the other?  And what's the definition of better?
Roy

The ideal ET probe placement is one that accurately reflects the temperature of the air the bean mass is immersed in or tumbling through. There will be a temperature gradient across the roaster from the heater element or burner itself to the bean mass. Something like the Hottop has significant temperature gradients in the roast chamber as the fan does not assist much in convecting heat through the roaster.
Frost
Frost

Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 8:27pm

boar_d_laze Said:

Sure.   Have a source for me?

3 min google search:  

Click Here (probatburns.com)

"Only about 85% convection in solid drum roasters...."

I did research many years ago and the old  links are now dead.

edit; really though it is a common often repeated misconception about drum roasters.
Also the Behmor is a unique case as it uses a radiant element; I have no idea where it operates.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > How far into...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.392978906631)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+