Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Even roasts with heat gun?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Even roasts with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
eds

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013, 7:50pm
Subject: Even roasts with heat gun?

I'm a home-roasting newbie - using both a hot-air popcorn popper and the "Dogbowl-Heatgun" method.

I can get pretty even roasts with the popper but I'm afraid it heats too quickly - I get to first crack in about 3 minutes and most of my roasts are around 5 minutes or under. The results have been okay, but I'm looking to improve.

Using the heat-gun method, I use a steel dog bowl with beans filled to 1/4 of its total capacity (so if the bowl holds 4 cups, I'll use 1 cup of beans.)

While I feel like I can control the roast much more, the results have been somewhat uneven in color. These usually take about 10+ minutes and I constantly stir the beans while heating.

I'm wondering - is it normal to have some under-roasted beans in this approach?

Thanks for helping!
 View Profile Link to this post
Buckley

Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 7:59am
Subject: Re: Even roasts with heat gun?

Dear eds,
I do popper roasting and not HG/DB roasting (just because of what I can find cheaply - no other reason).
Uneven roasting is normal for the start of a learning curve but not normal for the mastery of the learning curve - I am offering this observation second-hand from what I have seen online since, as I said, I do not do HG/DB roasting.

What I am really replying to is your problem with the heat control of your popper - something I do have some experience with.

A dedicated popper roaster would buy a cheap or used variac to control the voltage going in to the popper.  If you read enough online, you will find the suggestion to attach about one dozen cheap electrical extension cords in series between the wall outlet and the popper so that the increased resistance will tone down the heat some.  You will know this because the fan sound will become lower, as well.

This is the method that I use to control my popper, and it works well for me.  Currently, I am pre-heating the beans (about 1/4 lb.) for one minute at the low heat setting to dry them out somewhat uniformly before plugging directly into the wall and continuing on normal (high) heat.  Predictably, I get to first crack in 4 - 1/2 minutes using this method.

One caveat: do not buy or use a large gauge 100 ft. extension cord instead of the cheapies.  The larger gauge wires in it will not supply the resistance necessary.  The cheap ones work better because they are cheap.

Alternatively, one could cut one wire of an extension cord, attach the ends to a female outlet and plug a household clothes iron into the socket to run the popper in series with the iron's heater, but I have not tried this, yet.

Happy roasting,

B
PeteHunter
PeteHunter
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Grindmaster 835
Vac Pot: Silex - Cory
Drip: Bodum Santos
Roaster: Caffee Rosto - HG/BM - Hot...
Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 9:07am

You may not be stirring the beans enough, also it's harder to get a good transfer of heat with an open bowl and HG.  I have been using a heat gun with bread machine for over 6 years and get very consistent roasts with it.  You would probably like the results much better than an air popper or the HG/DB method.  You can find bread machines at thrift stores from $3 to $10 frequently.
gracejkeller

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 2:57am

Thanks Buckley. Just what I was looking for!
Buckley

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 9:08am

Good Luck!
B
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Even roasts with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.24326300621)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+