Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Wired article: 6 Home Coffee Roasting Methods Tested
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Wired article: 6...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
fnacer

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Salvatore E61, Vivaldi Mini...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Gaggia MDF,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 11:02pm
Subject: Wired article: 6 Home Coffee Roasting Methods Tested

I loved the review of the Behmor, which produced coffee that tasted like "a beef stew or well-done steak" and that of the Hottop, which created such "an insane amount of smoke" that you can't roast indoors without using a fan.

In case you haven't seen the article, you'll find it here.

Enjoy!
 View Profile Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013, 7:36am
Subject: Re: Wired article: 6 Home Coffee Roasting Methods Tested

I found the reviews to be boorish and quite inaccurate . I had to laugh at some of the reviews. who in their right mind that knew anything about roasting would stop a roast at the 1st pops of 1st crack and then submit the coffee for cupping? Yes without practice any roasting method can produce bad tasting coffee. after reading I would never trust any review from wired, sounds like the reviews were made to push readers to a certain product and not an unbiased opinion.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013, 10:52am

kboom1 Said:

I found the reviews to be boorish and quite inaccurate . I had to laugh at some of the reviews. who in their right mind that knew anything about roasting would stop a roast at the 1st pops of 1st crack and then submit the coffee for cupping? Yes without practice any roasting method can produce bad tasting coffee. after reading I would never trust any review from wired, sounds like the reviews were made to push readers to a certain product and not an unbiased opinion.

Posted December 14, 2013 link

Can you imagine that the bonaverder roast, grind, brewer had  $681,461 pledged of $135,000 goal?  GOD, ignorance is bliss!

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 12:09am

kboom1 Said:

Who in their right mind that knew anything about roasting would stop a roast at the 1st pops of 1st crack and then submit the coffee for cupping?

Good question I don't know the answer, but according to the review:

We roasted the same coffee (washed-processed Guatemala Huehuetenango Xinabajul, in case you were wondering) on each of the different machines to about a city roast level, or just after first crack.

"City," occurs immediately after 1stC not at the "1st pops of 1st crack"

There's cupping and there's cupping.  If you're cupping to discover the bean's potential for a good roast, or comparing beans to score them, it's probably a good idea to cup at the SCAA standard of "light to light medium", Agtron 58, or about C+ ish.

However, if you're cupping to determine the best finishing point on the light to dark roast spectrum for a given bean, you have to go to that finish and compare. If I were doing a roaster survey, I'd roast deeper than City, but  that doesn't invalidate the survey.  IMO City is OK, if a bit acidy.   What roast level would you use?  Why?    

kboom1 Said:

Without practice any roasting method can produce bad tasting coffee. after reading I would never trust any review from wired, sounds like the reviews were made to push readers to a certain product and not an unbiased opinion.

What makes you think there was no practice?  Although the actual roasting personnel weren't identified, the implication was that whoever did the roasting had at least enough experience to understand the roasters.  Certainly some qualified people were involved.  

The resulting tasting notes were given by a round table of coffee professionals, home roasting enthusiasts, and one coffee-loving WIRED editor.

I've done iron skillet, Whirley Pop, Behmor (1 year) and HT (3 years) before moving on to bigger and better, and thought the reviews fair, if not particularly penetrating.  The article found the HT was the best of all the equipment tested.  Do you disagree?    

Remember that Wired is aimed at at a particular demographic; the young, leisure class.  This article in particular is pointed at people who like coffee but either have never home-roasted or barely scratched the surface.  People who don't know much about the equipment, except -- perhaps -- for price.  You find a greater depth of information in some of the forums, but a lot more bulls#it too.   Noobs often have trouble distinguishing between them.

Maybe your standards are higher than mine, but I thought that for someone thinking about trying roasting the article was good enough to add to a little to the mosaic.

BDL
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 12:48am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Can you imagine that the bonaverder roast, grind, brewer had  $681,461 pledged of $135,000 goal?  GOD, ignorance is bliss!

boar_d_laze Said:

Remember that Wired is aimed at at a particular demographic; the young, leisure class.

Posted December 15, 2013 link

This is apparently the demographic that the Bonaverder folks are targeting also - notice that each of their levels includes a "hipster" bag!

First time I have ever read the specs on that. The roast is supposed to go for 4 minutes! These people must be on crack!

Anyway, I thought the cupping descriptions were as bland as most of the coffee roasting was. But, yes, I think it could help some of the hipsters who are trying to get a clue about roasting. Too bad there was no air popper method included.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 8:13am

boar_d_laze Said:

Good question I don't know the answer, but according to the review:
"City," occurs immediately after 1stC not at the "1st pops of 1st crack"

There's cupping and there's cupping.  If you're cupping to discover the bean's potential for a good roast, or comparing beans to score them, it's probably a good idea to cup at the SCAA standard of "light to light medium", Agtron 58, or about C+ ish.

However, if you're cupping to determine the best finishing point on the light to dark roast spectrum for a given bean, you have to go to that finish and compare. If I were doing a roaster survey, I'd roast deeper than City, but  that doesn't invalidate the survey.  IMO City is OK, if a bit acidy.   What roast level would you use?  Why?    

What makes you think there was no practice?  Although the actual roasting personnel weren't identified, the implication was that whoever did the roasting had at least enough experience to understand the roasters.  Certainly some qualified people were involved.  

I've done iron skillet, Whirley Pop, Behmor (1 year) and HT (3 years) before moving on to bigger and better, and thought the reviews fair, if not particularly penetrating.  The article found the HT was the best of all the equipment tested.  Do you disagree?    

Remember that Wired is aimed at at a particular demographic; the young, leisure class.  This article in particular is pointed at people who like coffee but either have never home-roasted or barely scratched the surface.  People who don't know much about the equipment, except -- perhaps -- for price.  You find a greater depth of information in some of the forums, but a lot more bulls#it too.   Noobs often have trouble distinguishing between them.

Maybe your standards are higher than mine, but I thought that for someone thinking about trying roasting the article was good enough to add to a little to the mosaic.

BDL

evidently you didnt read the article: Roasting with the Behmor the reviewer stated he stopped the roast at the first pops of 1c not after 1c was finished. and anyone who has done the homework on a particular roasting method or peice of equipment would know how a machine reacts and would be able complete a propper city roast
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 8:49am

kboom1 Said:

evidently you didnt read the article: Roasting with the Behmor the reviewer stated he stopped the roast at the first pops of 1c not after 1c was finished. and anyone who has done the homework on a particular roasting method or peice of equipment would know how a machine reacts and would be able complete a propper city roa

You want to be very careful with that accusation.

Evidently it was YOU who did not read the article or my comment carefully.  I quoted the article directly

using CG's quote highlighting software feature

to highlight the fact that I was directly quoting what seemed misunderstood.  But that seems to have fallen on deaf eyes.  I'll try again though.

We roasted the same coffee... on each of the... machines to... a city roast level, or just AFTER first crack.

(Emphases added)

Speaking of paying attention:
  1. There was no reference to "first pops" in the article, you supplied them; and
  2. The reviewer, "Ariel," is a "she," not a "he."    

I've gone through a few roasting methods and machines in the course of my addiction and have found that each of them requires me to do a few roasts before i reach a sufficient level of familiarity to not only operate the roaster, but comprehend what I'm doing in real time, AND take notes.  We don't know how much time the "roastmaster" had with each roaster, but it seems reasonable that had she (not he) had more time and practice she could have done a better job.  

Nevertheless, that's the way things are frequently reviewed by professional writers and it doesn't bother me a great deal.  I've certainly read reviews which were much poorly researched and written.  

There's considerably more about each roaster, as well as a tip sheet and a more positive outlook at Sweet Maria's website -- which the reviewer seems to know by heart.  

In fact, the largest criticism I have of the article is that it's very much Sweet Maria centric.  On the other hand, it's pretty easy to infer that Tom was among the "coffee professionals" involved, and that's not a bad thing.  

Still, I'm left with questions.  Why no Gene?  Is Tom having trouble with the new ownership?  What's the dirt on that, really?  

BDL
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 8:53am

dana_leighton Said:

This is apparently the demographic that the Bonaverder folks are targeting also - notice that each of their levels includes a "hipster" bag!

First time I have ever read the specs on that. The roast is supposed to go for 4 minutes! These people must be on crack!

Anyway, I thought the cupping descriptions were as bland as most of the coffee roasting was. But, yes, I think it could help some of the hipsters who are trying to get a clue about roasting. Too bad there was no air popper method included.

If I remeber correctly when I first read about the Bonaverder, They planned on using only preselected varitals that were premeasered, canned, and sold specifically for the Bonaverder. something like the roaster version of a Keurig.
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 9:12am

boar_d_laze Said:

You want to be very careful with that accusation.  Very YOU who did not read the article carefully.  I quoted the article directly , regarding 1stC.  But you seem not to have read that carefully either, so: (Emphasis added)

I've gone through a few roasters and roasting methods in the course of my addiction and have found that each of them requires me to do at least ten roasts before i reach a sufficient level of familiarity to not only operate the roaster, but comprehend what I'm doing in real time, AND take notes.  We don't know how much time the "roastmaster" had with each roaster, but it seems reasonable that had she (not he) had more time and practice she could have done a better job.  

Nevertheless, that's the way things are frequently reviewed by professional writers and it doesn't bother me a great deal.  I've certainly read reviews which were much poorly researched and written.  

There's considerably more about each roaster, as well as a tip sheet and a more positive outlook at Sweet Maria's website -- which the reviewer seems to know by heart.  

In fact, the largest criticism I have of the article is that it's very much Sweet Maria centric.  On the other hand, it's pretty easy to infer that Tom was among the "coffee professionals" involved, and that's not a bad thing.  

Still, I'm left with questions.  Why no Gene?  Is Tom having trouble with the new ownership?  What's the dirt on that, really?  

BDL

Quoted from the article: To get a city roast level the roast I was shooting for in all of these tests I pressed the cool button as soon as I heard first crack happen.

Not sure why the Gene was not reviewed, But as far as the new ownership it's kind of a bummer for Gene owners that parts will not be offered for self repair any more. Seen Posted somewhere that the Gene was coming out with a larger version?
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 9:41am

kboom1 Said:

If I remeber correctly when I first read about the Bonaverder, They planned on using only preselected varitals that were premeasered, canned, and sold specifically for the Bonaverder. something like the roaster version of a Keurig.

Marketing to the corporate exec weekend social party crowd.  Will look nice on their quartz countertop adjacent to their $100,000 electrolux kitchen range.

"Putting on the airs" at the corp exec party:

"Hey Charles, do you wish to have some Bonaverde fresh roasted coffee with your Scotch, neat?"

"Yes, Hubert.  That would be exquisite.  What a perfect pairing.  So did you hear about Robert's new Chateau?  Can you believe he paid 5 millies for it?"

=========

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Wired article: 6...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.421115159988)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+