Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
North TJ-068 500 gram coffee roaster
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > North TJ-068 500...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
sgreen
sgreen
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Viblemme Replica E-61
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 8:12pm
Subject: North TJ-068 500 gram coffee roaster

I am testing a North TJ-068 electric 500 gram roaster in my basement right now and it's pretty neat. This roaster has been discussed on CG before, but mostly denigrated from afar for its supposedly inadequate heater.

Click Here (www.northcoffee.net)

After watching Chinese video and gleaning a roast profile from the temp and time readings, I suspected that the reported heater output of 800 watts was simply a documentation error. It measures a still seemingly anemic 925 watts, but the outer roast chamber is heavy stainless steel and acts as a thermal battery. Whether through good engineering or good luck, I'm roasting a pound of coffee a couple of minutes past first crack in a total of less than 11 minutes 30 seconds. -and that's slowing the roast with increased air flow.

-and no tipping. For those of you who don't know, "tipping" is what you get when you pre heat a drum roaster to too high a drop temp. The bean tips scorch black. I'm dropping at 185 C with no problems.

I'm posting an entire 30 minute pre-heat, drop, roast, and cool cycle to Youtube right now.  Or will as soon as I edit it down to 15 minutes or less. Whoops. It will be done uploading in about an hour. The roaster is capable of back to back roasts and has an output of 5 lbs an hour. -I know this because I watched my son roast a 5 lb bag of Kenyan in about an hour.

Fit and finish is slightly rough and it has its share of quirks, but the TJ-068 is fairly heavily constructed and offers complete and easily repeatable control over both heat and airflow. It also has a second internal cooling drum that allows simultaneous roasting and cooling. This dual drum set-up can be manipulated to sample a roast in progress like a tryer. It ships with a cyclone to collect chaff and vent exhaust outside.

Edit: Account verified and video active.

Click Here

I have only had it a couple of weeks and although I have much more testing yet to do, I'm getting good coffee out of it and I like the machine.
 View Profile Link to this post
OregonCityMan
OregonCityMan
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Salvatore SES Semi
Grinder: Ascaso I-2 mini
Roaster: Torrefattore 1KG, DIY 1/2lb
Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 9:25pm
Subject: Re: North TJ-068 500 gram coffee roaster

You Tube max video is 15 minutes. You need to edit my friend
sgreen
sgreen

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 9:30pm

Wow. Epic fail. I should have asked one of the kids first.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 9:37pm

Hi Steve,

When going to your Youtube link, it isn't available & says:

"This video has been removed because it is too long.

Sorry about that."

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
sgreen
sgreen

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 9:40pm

Click Here

This might work. I needed to verify the account.

Edit: then I needed to make it not "Private." Who knew YouTube was so hard?

Sorry for the mucking around.

I'm sure most of this is like watching paint dry. It's probably a great cure for insomnia.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 10:01pm

Video's working fine now Steve! {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
sgreen
sgreen

Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 2:48pm

I added a BT thermocouple and managed to log a couple of roasts today. This is 1lb batch of "El Salvador, Apaneca-Lamatepec Region, strictly high grown" from BoldJava over at GCBC.

I was experimenting with a lower drop temp and a longer ramp between 325-375F to try to get a slightly sweeter roast for espresso. I also stretched about as far as I dared after 1st crack. It takes a good 20 seconds to clear the beans from the roasting to the cooling drum and I wanted to drop before 2nd crack.

I guess we'll know in a couple of days if any of this worked...

sgreen: roastlog.jpg
(Click for larger image)
sgreen
sgreen

Posted Fri Nov 29, 2013, 3:21am

Brewed in Technivorm yesterday morning. I got a stout, syrupy cup with minimal acidity, nuts, and chocolate.

I hadn't looked at this until this morning, but here's the original cupping notes for the bean at City+:

El Salvador, Apaneca-Lamatepec Region:

the Fragrance – nutmeg
Wet Aroma – nutmeg, herbals
Acidity – citric
Flavor/Nuances - Filbert, macadamia nut, ginger cookie, some caramels, with a very slight baker’s chocolate as it cools
Body/mouthfeel - Chewy, medium heavy cup.
Finish/aftertaste:  Fills out even further in the aftertaste with a finish that accentuates the flavors.

Not to shabby. Nice roast and pleasant cup. I'm putting this one in my personal "Win" column.

I have been roasting with this thing for a couple of weeks and am still slowly figuring it out, but overall, I'm convinced it's the real deal.
sgreen
sgreen

Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 6:29am

Things are going well. My son made me roast about 10 lbs for Christmas yesterday back-to-back for his in-laws. We had the roaster running continuously for about 2 hours.

Our cupping group here in St. Paul discovered this weekend that the El Salvador, Apaneca-Lamatepec Region SHG roasted slowly (1lb for about 14 minutes) with much higher airflow smells exactly like "peanut butter cookies" on the third day (thanks, Curly). Rushing out the door, I left the entire bag there, but it was cupped this weekend by a better man than I and praised as "nailed it" (thanks, BJ).

I spent most of yesterday trying to duplicate that profile at various drop temps and air settings trying to figure out exactly what made a difference. Honestly, I had always thought airflow had more to do with chaff collection than roast development. Now I'm actually reading and figuring out just how wrong that was.

If anybody has any insight on airflow, please let us know. Is there a general rule for this or just personal preference? Is there a chart or rule of thumb relative to bean color or smell?

One last note re. the whole "under powered" issue. I accidentally overcharged the drum with about 20.5 ounces (580 grams in a 500 gram machine) yesterday with a 350F drop temp. I shut the air down and cranked up the heat and still managed a first crack at 12:10. Then I opened the air at 100% and coasted to a 14:45 drop and cool.

This minor fiasco produced 18 ounces of apparently intact  FC+ . If the roast development is less than ideal, I'm reasonable certain the in-laws won't notice.

I'm probably not going to do that again on purpose, but it was a happy surprise.
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 11:00pm

I think air flow setting are machine specific; so what I'm doing might not translate to your roaster. Of course keeping a roast log does help out :).
The basic air flow routine on my 1lb gas drum machine is: air low from drop-in to end of drying, air increased from end of drying to 1c (or where you would make an adjustment for RD), air increased again for RD stage. I've got roasting logs on pdf and word that work for me in *f and *c.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > North TJ-068 500...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.339715003967)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+