Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
yet another behmor 1600 question...
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > yet another...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 8:22pm
Subject: Re: yet another behmor 1600 question...

Hidden away in the Behmor manual there is the 'Rosetta Stone Rule' as they call it, in which you predict the onset of the 2CR by counting the time from the first crack or two of the 1CR.

This afternoon I did the 2nd and 3rd roasts of a very nice Guatemala.  I was aiming at Full City, just at the edge of the 2CR and stopped the roast at 2:40 min.  Fifteen seconds after I went to 'cool' I got a few reluctant crackles of the 2CR.  The colour was dark brown with no oil sheen, …just where I wanted it.  

Without any temperature measurement and special profiles, it is possible to get very fine roasts, repeatably, time after time.  For that Guat, 2:40 min. will give it to me.  However, the first roast of a new bean might be a bit too light or a bit too dark …something to be corrected next time.

I have completed 200 roasts and have never thrown one out.

Jerry
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 9:44am

JKalpin Said:

Hidden away in the Behmor manual there is the 'Rosetta Stone Rule' as they call it, in which you predict the onset of the 2CR by counting the time from the first crack or two of the 1CR.

Posted November 19, 2013 link

It's a little easier and somewhat more accurate to use a BT probe, or even an ET probe, than just counting from 1st C; but timing from sounds and smells has worked for a lot of people for a long time.  

That said, most roasters use "end of 1st" rather than onset of "1st" as the milestone on the way to drop, because it's a more accurate and more immediate measure.  Also, 2:40 from onset of 1st to drop is a rather short interval for any drum roaster.  Most modern roasters want 3 minutes or more from end if 1st to drop to enhance sweetness and to allow the interior of the bean to fully develop.

This afternoon I did the 2nd and 3rd roasts of a very nice Guatemala.  I was aiming at Full City, just at the edge of the 2CR and stopped the roast at 2:40 min.  Fifteen seconds after I went to 'cool' I got a few reluctant crackles of the 2CR.  The colour was dark brown with no oil sheen, …just where I wanted it.

Thumbs up!

Without any temperature measurement and special profiles, it is possible to get very fine roasts, repeatably, time after time.  For that Guat, 2:40 min. will give it to me.

It's more than possible to get consistently decent roasts without temperature measurements, home roasters have been using very simple equipment forever.  However, it's almost impossible to get much in the way of consistent profiles; especially those profiles which you design for yourself for a particular bean, as opposed to profiles programmed into the machine -- "P1" for instance.

Some people are more "artisanal," while others are more "set it and forget it."  There's no one way best for everyone.  And, let me hasten to mention, just because I fall on the artisan side of the fence don't take "set it and forget it," as a dig.  Good coffee is good coffee, no matter how it's done.

However, the first roast of a new bean might be a bit too light or a bit too dark …something to be corrected next time.

Happens to everyone.  Even those who roast "samples," before roasting larger charges.  Making mistakes is an the essential part of learning.

I have completed 200 roasts and have never thrown one out.

OK, but I'm not sure whether that's a point of pride.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 2:16pm

boar_d_laze Said:

......, most roasters use "end of 1st" rather than onset of "1st" as the milestone on the way to drop, because it's a more accurate and more immediate measure.  Also, 2:40 from onset of 1st to drop is a rather short interval for any drum roaster. .......

Posted November 20, 2013 link

Every reference I have used marks the beginning of first crack as the beginning of the 'finish' period. The duration of first crack is a measure of finish pace and/or bean uniformity and/or heat uniformity.  The 3 minute minimum finish is a good rule of thumb, somewhat longer for espresso. how does the Behmor get away with shorter? Maybe more time leading into first crack and run on during the cooling.
OregonCityMan
OregonCityMan

Espresso: Salvatore SES Semi
Grinder: Ascaso I-2 mini
Roaster: Torrefattore 1KG, DIY 1/2lb
Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 5:33pm

I have been reading this thread as I think the Behmor 1600 is probably the most cost effective, yet capable roaster I have seen on the market. The HT and Huky are very nice, but the Huky is so cool I just love to watch the demonstration videos. The thing about the HT and Huky is they allow for external cooling. That is so important to stop the roast on a dime.

I own two roasters, one of which I designed (copied) last year. It is an outdoor full conduction Stainless Steel 1/2 pound roaster. I like the way I can control almost every aspect of the roast, and when my roast is done, I spin the lid off and cool the beans instantly. The camp stove is a Coleman, and the only time I have issues with it is in the wind.

boar_d_laze: Since you live in So California, do you do any business with Bodhi Leaf coffee?
Any opinion is appreciated.

OregonCityMan: DSC03183.JPG
(Click for larger image)
boar_d_laze

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 8:57am

Frost Said:

Every reference I have used marks the beginning of first crack as the beginning of the 'finish' period. The duration of first crack is a measure of finish pace and/or bean uniformity and/or heat uniformity.

I'm always looking for more information.  Which references are you referring to?

Most of the references I read go along with Tom Owens' (Sweet Maria's) "basic" approach and break the roast down into discrete stages, giving BT for each, discussion of color, etc., but not giving any particular advice.  In my limited experience, one doesn't see much -- other than things which are oriented towards particular roasters -- that tell you "do this," or "do that" at a particular stage.

Furthermore, until very recently, most of the useful advice I've picked up along the way wasn't published by "experts," but came from internet forums

Once in a while you run into something published AND practical, for instance Tom Owens' (again) series Stretchin' Out the Roast.  If you've read that you know that Tom got a more profound effect from controlling the post 1st interval (Part 1) than from controlling the length of 1st itself (Part 2).  But the advice is far from unanimous.  It's interesting to note the differences in results based profiling approaches towards both the drying and  post 1st stages between Owens, Boot and Diedrich.  

From my own experience, I've found that the best approach to balancing bean interior development with a sweet surface is to slow the roast at onset of 1st with gas to low, fan to med high and damper to full roaster, but (of course) not letting it stall; and slowing it further after 1st ends (gas to pilot, fan to high).  Note that settings are completely roaster dependent, and that what works for me with mine may not work for you, or even be impossible.  

Roasters aside, a problem with this a generic advice is that end of 1st is defined by a minimum amount of time without continuous cracking (for instance 30 seconds, with only a "wild crack" or two).  Thus unless you're using BT (or some other consistent, real-time indication) real-time recognition is nearly impossible.    

All of this goes to highlight some of of the Behmor's greatest weaknesses.  Absent significant modification, it doesn't allow the roaster precise, real-time identification of roast phase.  Nor does it allow the user sufficiently fine, real-time adjustment of temp and air flow to do nuanced profiling.  That doesn't make it a bad roaster.  On the contrary, it's an incredible piece of equipment for the money. Not only is there nothing like at in its price range, it's all the roaster many roastmasters will ever want.  

BDL
boar_d_laze

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 10:05am

OregonCityMan Said:

boar_d_laze: Since you live in So California, do you do any business with Bodhi Leaf coffee? Any opinion is appreciated.

Not yet.  Right now I've got way too much greens on hand, not to mention irons in the fire, to order more.  But their offerings look interesting, their prices look good, they're open to the public (fun!), and they're close enough that driving is only a skosh more expensive than shipping.  Maybe after the holidays I can justify driving down there to buy a few pounds to sample take my wife out for lunch.

BDL
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 2:57pm

boar_d_laze Said:

That said, most roasters use "end of 1st" rather than onset of "1st" as the milestone on the way to drop, because it's a more accurate and more immediate measure.

Ya-but …there are some beans where the 1CR is very sparse and some where the 1CR runs into the 2CR.  So using the end of the first crack can be unreliable.  

I would prefer a temperature reference point if I could figure out how to insert a probe into the Behmor.

Jerry
boar_d_laze

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 4:24pm

JKalpin Said:

Ya-but …there are some beans where the 1CR is very sparse and some where the 1CR runs into the 2CR.  So using the end of the first crack can be unreliable.

Posted November 21, 2013 link

Sadly true.  

I would prefer a temperature reference point if I could figure out how to insert a probe into the Behmor.

Who wouldn't want a reliable reference?  And that's one of the biggest challenges present in roasting with a Behmor (which, with a lot of effort, actually can be probed).  The other, to rephrase what I said in the previous post, is what to do with the information once you have it.  A Behmor isn't what you'd call responsive, under the best of circumstances.  

As long as you're using the Behmor's programming with recommended doses, there's not much you can do to control the last leg of the roast.  Every roaster has its limitations -- even the big boys.  

It's been a long time since I used a Behmor -- since whatever year they first came out -- and I don't remember what I did to make it work better than its programming well enough to offer advice.  You want to get involved with a Behmor specific community, and you really, really want Roaster Thing.

BDL
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 4:36pm

Look to the basic degrees of roast starting with City; The roast is stopped at the completion of first crack.
Wanting maximum flavor development, the roaster may choose to stretch first crack for (requisite) 3 minutes finish. (should the roaster's roaster be capable of such....) First crack is the crescendo, the climax, the blossom of flavor development; it's beginning and pace is a signpost of great significance.  IMO not completing first crack is 'under-roasted'.
johnd89

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Carezza
Grinder: SM95
Drip: phin, mokapot, frenchpress,...
Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013, 11:49pm

ok really ready to pull the trigger on this bad boy now;-)
one last question, obviously answered....
if I use it under the range hood (it's a nice one 400ish cfm) could it still set the soke alarm?
this won't stop me, I understand a gene is worse, just wanted to have an ideea to know what to expect.
thanks!
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > yet another...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.384301900864)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+