Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Issues with Behmor and Mokha Ismaili
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Issues with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
seagoon3

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ10, Silvia with...
Grinder: Pharos, Baratza Vario
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 5:41pm
Subject: Issues with Behmor and Mokha Ismaili

Good afternoon all

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My Behmor is relatively new and I keep it clean, specially in the temp sensor area. My no load voltage is around 120V. I roast outside, and the exterior temp was maybe 65 degrees. I tried a melange roast of the Ismaili for espresso, 6 oz roasted to C+, and 12 oz to FC. I preheated the roaster before loading the beans. On P1 the 12 oz load took 15 minutes to get to 1C, and 19.5 minutes to finish, at the very first sound of 2C. 17% weight loss, no oil on the beans. After 3 days rest, the coffee is very dead and flat, so maybe it baked. Does 15 minutes to 1C for a 12 oz load on P1 sound wrong? Other people seem to be able to load 12 or 14 oz and get good results, so maybe there is a problem with my roaster, or maybe these particular beans just require a smaller load to keep the time shorter. The Yemen I have roasted before did seem to take a bit longer to get to 1C than most coffees, so I was wondering if other people find this also?

Usually I roast only 8 oz at a time and on P1 for most coffees I get to 1C in somewhere between 11 and 13 minutes. I don't want to go less than 6 oz with any roast, so if the 12 oz load can work out, that would be two roasts instead of three to get the 1/3 to 2/3 melange mix that Tom of SM recommends. This is why I don't want to give up on the 12 oz yet, if there is a way to make it work.

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
RandomTask

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Fri Nov 8, 2013, 7:25am
Subject: Re: Issues with Behmor and Mokha Ismaili

This is kind of a complicated question and I'm not the most experienced roaster, but I'll do the best I can. 15 minutes for a 12 oz load isn't necessarily wrong, it all matters how it tastes in the end. If it doesn't taste right in the cup, then that is the better judge. If you feel that the roast tastes baked, then it could very well be. Experiment, there is no "sure fire" answer to roasting as therer are so many variables in play.

Whenever I roast a new bean in my Behmor, I never go straight to a 1/2lbs or larger roast. I usually do at least one or two 1/4lbs roasts to try and get a feel for the bean. If you've already done a few roasts, you can know if it takes a bit longer to get to 1c (which can be the case for some harder beans). I've no experience with the variety you're using, so I can't lend any insight to that.

I would suggest also trying out some different profiles. Personally I find I'm using either P2 or P3 for most of my roasts.

*P1 is 100% power for the full roast. Notation: 100/100

*P2 ramps at 100% for the first 60% of the roasting time, then drops to 70% power for the next 30% of time. Full power for remainder of roast. Notation: 100/60, 70/30, 100/10.

*P3 - A more gradual ramp-up. During the first 20% of time roasts at 70% power; 80% power during next 35% of time; full power during remainder of roast. Notation: 70/20, 80/35, 100/45.

Having a bit smother curve on the roast give it a bit more complex flavour and gives it time for the coffee to "develop". Going full power tends to get the roast "done" quickly but I find the P1 roasts always flat. Not baked, just lacking complexity.
seagoon3

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ10, Silvia with...
Grinder: Pharos, Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Nov 10, 2013, 6:49am
Subject: Re: Issues with Behmor and Mokha Ismaili

Thanks so much for the reply. The coffee did improve a bit after a few more days, but I'm still not happy, so I will do as you suggest and try some other profiles and weights and see what happens.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Issues with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.214802980423)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+