Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Your Experience With Huky 500
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Your Experience...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
tonini

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia V3
Grinder: HG One
Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 4:50pm
Subject: Your Experience With Huky 500

Well the search still goes on, with so many options it is not easy to choose. The Hottop is great reviews for the manual but the capacity is just so small. The Huky is better capacity but I can't find a ton on it other than one really in depth review I found on another coffee related site. American Roaster Corp would not return my email. The Tj-067 is certainly more than I want to spend but it's also huge. This is the most I would be willing to spend for a roaster. It seems to large for indoors and with moving in my future, I am not so sure I want to invest in something that cannot be used indoors. The Huky 500 on the other hand seems to be able to be used indoors, outdoors but curious to the true quality of this machine. Build quality seems decent but how are the results? Can this roaster put out great coffee?
 View Profile Link to this post
ErikP

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 7:23pm
Subject: Re: Your Experience With Huky 500

tonini Said:

Well the search still goes on, with so many options it is not easy to choose. The Hottop is great reviews for the manual but the capacity is just so small. The Huky is better capacity but I can't find a ton on it other than one really in depth review I found on another coffee related site. American Roaster Corp would not return my email. The Tj-067 is certainly more than I want to spend but it's also huge. This is the most I would be willing to spend for a roaster. It seems to large for indoors and with moving in my future, I am not so sure I want to invest in something that cannot be used indoors. The Huky 500 on the other hand seems to be able to be used indoors, outdoors but curious to the true quality of this machine. Build quality seems decent but how are the results? Can this roaster put out great coffee?

Posted October 31, 2013 link

I have no direct experience with it.  But here is an interesting thread.... Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
gregr

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Moka
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Huky
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 6:32am

Simple answer is yes. Partly because yes, it's very well made but also because of the heat source. That direct heat (I use the IR stove that Kuanho Li sells) coupled with a strong and very effective fan make the roaster behave like a Formula One race car compared to my SUV Hottop. Well, maybe not that big of a discrepancy but you get the point. What I was very happy to figure out quickly is matching my Hottop profiles. I like a nice rounded profile for my espresso roasts and it didn't take too long to match that with the Huky. And there's tons of power left over to speed things up as much as I want. I roast a pound at a time, by the way. If you're really a speed freak I think 6 minutes to charcoal is possible in a Huky. Seriously.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tonini

Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 5:06pm

Gregr, is it really ok to use it inside though? Should I be worried if I was to rent a town house and use it inside?
gregr

Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 8:07pm

I always felt the amount of smoke from my Hottop was tolerable with just a fan in the kitchen window- a few hours later and there was pretty much no smell. Doing one pound in the Huky is a different story. I'm using the fan in the window and the vent hose attachment that Kuanho sells. With the fan and the vent hose there's still a tiny bit of smoky smell left in the kitchen the morning after a night roast- ten hours later. Not a lot but it's there. I think with a good strong range hood I'll be back to very tolerable. Range hood is here just not installed yet. By the way- I live in a townhouse too and the neighbors, who I know very well, have never said a thing about any smoke smell.
gregr

Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 9:51am

Update- neighbors did smell some smoke recently. They said it wasn't a big deal at all and barely noticed it but I think a less tolerant neighbor might not appreciate it. It's important to note that my kitchen window is about 3 feet from the neighbors vent. Once I get my range hood installed that will no longer be an issue- 'til then I'll be avoiding Vienna ;)
gregr

Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 6:53am

Another update: I installed the range hood yesterday and tried a pretty dark roast last night to celebrate the accomplishment. One pound taken 15 seconds into second crack so a good amount of smoke. I left one of the range fans on low overnight-- this morning there's no smoke smell at all. The fans in this hood are fairly powerful (760 CFM) so take that into consideration.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 7:22am

gregr Said:

They said it wasn't a big deal at all and barely noticed it but I think a less tolerant neighbor might not appreciate it.

Posted November 4, 2013 link

Suply them with coffee beans occasionally, problem solved. ;-) I am enjoying keeping up with your thread.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
slickrock

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 12:45am

Tonini,

As part of my purchasing decision for the Huky, it was essential that I operate it indoors.  I configure the roaster to operate directly off my stovetop range so I could take advantage of not only the power burners on it, but also the effective range hood above.  If you intend to roast at full capacity (1 pound range), then the roaster will billow out smoke, but if you have a high CFM fan with good capture space, you should be fine.  Also Mr. Li has an exhaust apparatus that can be used to channel exhaust from the fan through a tube that can be fed to the outside.  

Good luck.
tonini

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 6:07pm

I continue to wonder. I feel like I may buy something "smaller" until I know where I move to. I am dying to home roast but if I bought a Huky only to move in to an apartment building where I cannot use an open gas flame such as the ir or a gas stove I would be screwed. I realize how cheap I sound when people on here own such more expensive equipment. As a very young adult about to move out I am rather critical on making the right purchase. This money will be a fair bit to put out for my hobby so I want to do it wisely. The huky is a must eventually. For now it's a battle of behmor vs hottop. All though hottop is much closer in price to huky, I feel in a year or so I can probably resell it for much closer to its new value vs a used behmor as they seem to sell for peanuts. Other roasters like the SR 500 are available to me but I am not sure they will provide near the results. For now I suppose its the  battle of behmore vs hottop. Only for the short term though!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Your Experience...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279397964478)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+