Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
using a popper vs behmor, is there a significant difference,taste wise?
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > using a popper...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
acorn54
acorn54
Expertise: Aficionado

Espresso: krups gusto
Grinder: solis mulino. zassenhaus
Drip: kitchen aid ultra compact
Roaster: poppery ii. hw gourmet
Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 2:20am
Subject: Re: using a popper vs behmor, is there a significant difference,taste wise?

i have considered the options and for now i will try to extend the roast of the popperyI
also i have modded a popperyII that is 1200 watts so i will see if the roasts are better using that
the heat gun roast from what i researched takes 15 minutes of stirring and applying heat from a 60 dollar or so heat gun and preferable done outside due to chaff and smoke, so i will pass on that.
i understand that fluid air roasting gives brighter notes so i will probably go to a drum roaster for fuller body to my beans.
thanks again for the input.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 3:45am
Subject: Re: using a popper vs behmor, is there a significant difference,taste wise?

acorn54 Said:

i understand that fluid air roasting gives brighter notes so I will probably go to a drum roaster for fuller body to my beans.

Posted September 24, 2013 link

While there may be subtle differences in the taste of coffee in fluid bed vs. drum roasting, these differences are far outweighed by the roast profile. A roast profile in not just a destination but also a journey. You can get to second crack in 8 or 9 minutes, or you can get there in 20 minutes, and even then, that is just the destination. There are a lot of roads that lead you there. Maybe an infinite number of them.

I have use popcorn poppers, two commercial air roasters, and drum roasters from two different companies. Uncontrolled air roasting (that is, a roaster that gives the user the choice of on or off and that is all) will usually produce a bright, acidic, undeveloped taste in the cup because their fast roast does not allow the inside of the bean to develop to the extent that the outside of the bean does.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 3:01am

Popper can only be used outside. If the weather is not good, then no coffee roasting can be done, whereas for Behmor, roasting can be done both indoors and outdoors. However, you need to monitor its temperature because lower temperature can slow down the roasting process.

Just a reminder that the roasting of Behmor is quiet slower compared to popper that makes the coffee mellower and smoother taste.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 5:01am

CoffeeLoversMag Said:

Popper can only be used outside. If the weather is not good, then no coffee roasting can be done

Posted September 25, 2013 link

Not true. Many of us vent the smoke from poppers quite well.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
acorn54
acorn54
Expertise: Aficionado

Espresso: krups gusto
Grinder: solis mulino. zassenhaus
Drip: kitchen aid ultra compact
Roaster: poppery ii. hw gourmet
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 10:29am

what i am doing with the popperyI at present is roasting until beginning of second crack, then letting a day go by and re-roasting the next day into second crack this gives the beans about a total 14 minute roast. i seem to get a decent taste, at least as good as the beans i get freshly roasted at fairway
i am looking to a behmore though lol
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 12:20pm

acorn54 Said:

what i am doing with the popperyI at present is roasting until beginning of second crack, then letting a day go by and re-roasting the next day into second crack ..

SERIOUSLY?! This ain't a potato. You can twice-bake it. Once a coffee bean is roasted, re-roasting will likely  just ruin whatever flavor was left in it. If the beans start out as low quality then maybe that's a good thing.
If you have really been doing that, you will be amazed at the difference that the Behmor will make.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 4:39pm

Yes there's usually a big difference in coffees roasted on an inexpensive fluid bed and an entry-level home drum roaster -- even if times and "profiles" are similar.  A lot depends on the person doing the roasting, and also on what kind of mods -- if any -- were made to the roaster.  Also, some fluid beds have more in common with drums than others.  The Gene Cafe, for instance, which is something of a hybrid.

If you want a residential sized drum roaster, and if you can afford it without eating ramen every night for a month, I suggest a HotTop "B" over a Behmor.  

Nothing against Behmor, which was my first drum roaster, but the HotTop offers FAR better control right out of the box, and is much easier to mod down the line.  It's less susceptible to chaff fires; more interactive (i.e., more like a "real roaster"); additionally, the stirrer in the cooling tray makes it look more like a real roaster;" and it's considerably more fun to use.  Better results, too -- once you get the hang of it.  

The difference in capacity between the HT and Behmor is less than you might think.  Despite it's nominal max rating of 16oz max, the Behmor's practical dosing range is 225g - 350g; at anything more than 350g (around 12oz) it's too slow.  While the HT's range is around 150g - 250g.  The HT is actually a little faster roasting a 250g dose than the Behmor.  

In any case, good luck!

BDL
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 4:20pm

acorn54 Said:

what i am doing with the popperyI at present is roasting until beginning of second crack, then letting a day go by and re-roasting the next day into second crack this gives the beans about a total 14 minute roast......

Whoa! I missed that one.  Don't try to re-invent roasting. Use the guide of those who have gone before you. (for centuries!) Twice roasted coffee may solve some of the problems in the first roast but will definitely cook any remaining life or character out of them.
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 8:05am

I would have preferred to buy a HotTop.  Here are my reasons for the Behmor choice:

First and foremost, $300 was more affordable (than $800 - $1000).

The Behmor resembles a microwave oven (not out of place in a kitchen); it would have been impossible to talk my wife into having a HotTop living in 'her' kitchen.

I live in a condo where winter roasting outside is impossible.  But …I have a stovetop hood, which does well in removing the smoke, with the Behmor rear air outlet.  Nevertheless, after 2 roasts my condo does reek some (although I have never set off the smoke alarms).  My experience is that most of the smell and smoke occurs in the last minute or two of roasting and the first minute or two of cooling.  The HotTop dumps into a rotating tray for cooling and …that's where I would run into trouble with smoke alarms (and my wife).  

Along the same argument, chaff control in the kitchen is a major issue.  In the Behmor, the entire process is completed inside a box.  I have a small automotive vacuum-cleaner with a short hose.  I open the door and vacuum all the chaff I can see.  I remove the tray and vacuum it.  I remove the drum and dump the roast into a colander.  Then I vacuum the inside of the roaster (including the inlet of the afterburner).  Doing things this way I NEVER lose control of the chaff and have need to vacuum-up and wipe-down the kitchen counters and the floor.  When I empty the little vacuum dirt-filter I am always amazed at the volume of chaff I get from (say) 2- 10-oz roasts (= 1.1 lb as roasted).  

Last but not least, I have seldom encountered a company as responsive to problems as Behmor.  I don't see Joe Behm doing much advertising;  he gets his business by word-of-mouth (or notes like this) from satisfied customers.

Jerry
CapnJimbo

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 12:31pm

As an aside...

I beg you...

Forget the "soup", aka tin cans, period.   They call them tin cans why?   Because they are steel coated with tin - a toxic when heated.  Chimneys are useful, but not from tin cans -  you can make a chimney or two out of cheap sheet aluminum from Home Despot, cut a strip, fashion into a chimney, insert into the popper, and then use a couple stainless hose clamps to finalize the diameter.    No tin, no toxics.   Made out of the same material - aluminum - as the popper's own heating cup.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > using a popper...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.362390041351)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+