Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Roasting without a roaster?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roasting without...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Ryebread119
Ryebread119
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Elektra Sixties
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Chemex
Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 6:05am
Subject: Roasting without a roaster?

I've just inherited 3 pounds of green beans from a friend. I don't have a home roaster, and I'm not willing to buy one of those air-pop popcorn poppers for a one-time try at coffee roasting. I was thinking about tossing them in my cast iron skillet, but thought I'd consult the "experts" to see if any of you had any advice on a cheap, make shift way to roast a coffee with evenly-roasted results. Any Suggestions?

Listen to the steam, the sign of a good drink is in it's acoustics.
 View Profile Link to this post
kwantfm

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 3:23am
Subject: Re: Roasting without a roaster?

Never done it myself but I keep reading that you can get decent results from a good quality skillet and lots of stirring.  Best of luck.
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 6:32am

I and another poster responded to your original post of the above date. Apparently the two posts have vanished into the aether. I regret that, as forming intelligent responses are a difficult and taxing effort for my enfeebled brain.

To repeat, one requires a heat source and a roasting surface and something to stir the beans. I use a cast iron frying pan a wooden spoon and the side burner of a gas grill. I have also used the dog bowl and heat gun method, the heat gun as the heat source, and also the wooden spoon. Both of these methods are cheap, easy to do and are a good way of learning the changes the bean goes through as it roasts. They either need to be done outside or in the presence of a good exhaust fan as roasting may be replete with smoke, flying chaff and be a definite turn off to a significant other. There is the stove top whirly pop method too and all of these and other variations may be found all over the web. Try sweetmaria web site as a fund of info.

Good roasting, Skylar
BonsaiDoug

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Roaster: FreshRoast SR500
Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 7:18am

Skylar Said:

I and another poster responded to your original post of the above date. Apparently the two posts have vanished into the aether

Posted September 8, 2013 link

I knew I had responded to this thread.  At least I know I wasn't having a "senior moment."
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Nov 9, 2013, 5:07am

I primarily roast by hand over the stove.  I have used heat guns , whirley pop, and air poppers before, but I found hand roasting was the most satisfying roasting experience, giving me the most control.

My method uses two very lightweight instant ramen pots I picked up at a Japanese market (see the attached photo).   They are less than 4oz each.  They are so thin and light that they have virtually no thermal mass and transfer heat instantly.  So the control I have is outstanding.  And they were only $3 a piece.  

And depending on my process, I can do any length profile I want, simply by varying the heat. I've roasted with profiles a short as 6 minutes and as long as 30 minutes.  The bottom of the pots are not flat so all that is needed is side to side wrist motion as the ridges on the bottom seem to do a very good job agitating the beans and preventing any particular side of the bean from making contact for more than moment against the hot metal surface (unlike whirley pop and air poppers).  

Anyway I added the thermometer by using a small drill.   I made sure the tip did not touch the bottom (it is about 3mm away)..

If I want to get the roast to temperature quickly, I cover pot with aluminum foil. Once I've reached my desired temp, I peel off the foil.    As the roast continues, the chaff does fly off all over the stove but it takes but a minute with a shop vac to clean it all up later.   Once the roast nears my target depth, I turn off the flame grab the other pot.  I pour the beans back and forth between pots to stop the roast and let them air cool.   I also blow on them as they pass through the air to separate the chaff from the beans. After a dozen or so exchanges, they are free and clear of any chaff.

BTW, I usually roast about a weeks worth of beans at a time.   I have roasted half a pound at once, but I can't finish them all before I notice they start to degrade.  Doing heavier batches can take a bit of elbow grease, but it's not really a problem for me. I genuinely enjoy the whole process and I think the results are well worth the trouble.  For larger, heavier batches (like half a pound), I occasionally give my arm a rest by placing a fist on the edge of the stove as a rest my roasting arm.

z0mbie: pot12.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Nov 10, 2013, 10:05am

Pan roasting.  2 things served me very well in the past.

1. Tifal skillet + glass lid with hole to allow for steam blow off. The lighter skillet helps with tossing. the beans. No need t stir. :) I used to roast 1/2 lb great!  

2.  Stainless whirley pop + 700W electric heat element if you don't wanna toss and just stir.  The heater and thicker heat transfer makes it great for roasting 1/2 - 1 lb in 15-17min. :)  

I used to pre heat each to about 250'F and got good roasts without scorching.  Both setup's are under $100
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 8:42pm

The heat gun and dog bowl method "HG/DB" is a wonderful way to roast due to the tremendous amount of control a roaster can exert over the beans.  Basically, the beans are stirred in a metal bowl (a lot of people use dog-bowls, as the name suggests) while a heat gun blows very hot air onto the beans.  Benefits of this practice are the control one can have, the volume of beans one can roast, and the tremendously low cost (my setup is under $45).  You might already have all the stuff you need.  The disadvantages are that it needs to be done outside due to some chaff flying into the air (the skin of the bean as it dries and eventually flakes off), the fact that one can't really filter smoke too efficiently in the bowl (again, gotta be outside), and the idea that it takes practice...this is as far as you can get from "set it and forget it."  I highly recommend the method and I'm roasting what I consider great coffee after relatively little time at it...still, I hope to get better.

This is one of the best pages out there on the HG/DB method:
http://www.homeroaster.com/heatgun.html
Also do a forum search and you'll find a lot

Happy roasting...it's addictive!
OregonCityMan
OregonCityMan

Espresso: Salvatore SES Semi
Grinder: Ascaso I-2 mini
Roaster: Torrefattore 1KG, DIY 1/2lb
Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 11:24pm

If you are not willing to spring for a few bucks, use an iron skillet. They will give you more even heating. Put a shower cap over your smoke detector. GL
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Sun Nov 17, 2013, 7:19pm

OregonCityMan Said:

If you are not willing to spring for a few bucks, use an iron skillet. They will give you more even heating. Put a shower cap over your smoke detector. GL

Posted November 16, 2013 link

Seriously...How have I never thought of the shower-cap?  I set off so many smoke detectors before moving into a space that allows me to roast outside.  I could have avoided taking out many a battery.  

On a side note...everyone should be roasting with a fire extinguisher at arms reach.  Sort of like frying a turkey, it's pretty safe but if one turns around and has a momentary lapse of memory...well you might just want an extinguisher nearby :-)
John_B

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Lelit PL41TEM/Bialetti 3 cup
Grinder: Lelit PL53/Bodum Bistro...
Posted Thu Nov 28, 2013, 5:08pm

I use a thick-bottomed steel saucepan and a whisk. I choose green beans that my roaster is good at a range of roasts to try to minimise the downside of the inevitable uneven roast. I'm on my 8th (ish) batch, 1/2 lb of Guatemala Antigua, and I'm pretty happy with the results. Luckily the nearest alarm to the stove is a heat detector rather than a smoke detector, so I've only set the fire alarm off once so far.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roasting without...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.30056810379)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+