Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Is it just me?
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Is it just me?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
Larryh86GT

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: 63RPM 5lb BBQ drum
Posted Sun Aug 18, 2013, 5:40pm
Subject: Re: Is it just me?

Shawn12 Said:

Now don't get me wrong. I LOVE coffee.  Just about everything about it but does anyone else think the descriptions put forth by some roasters and green bean suppliers are getting a little nutty?

Posted August 15, 2013 link

Yes.
 View Profile Link to this post
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 9:15am

Always a very good topic. Thanks to everyone for the enjoyment of your thoughts.
I, too, wish I had much better sensory acumen; but then, I also have many refined drugs of therapeutic natures within my system I can only say: Thank goodness I can find "I likes what I likes, and I wish I understood better that which just seems - off." (And dear God, what do all these things keeping me alive make my taste reactions become?)  

/chuckles about descriptives at Sweet Maria's
Sometimes the theater of a product is half the fun.
/wink
Ozark_61
Ozark_61
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Behmor 1600, SC/TO, Poppery...
Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 10:40pm

LOL - love the thread.  You think it's bad with coffee? You should try buying tea... that gets pretty wild.  They're reaaaaaly trying to differentiate products.. but sometimes there's just not that much difference between two beans / teas grown within spitting distance of each other... but sometimes there is.  

FWIW, I've learned to stay away from anything called 'subtle' used anywhere in the descriptor.  You know when you're buying a house?  It's the equivalent of 'cozy bungalow' - ie, it's a freaking shoe box for midgets (no offense meant to our vertically challenged brethren out there).  I always have a cappa in the morning and for it to stand out, subtle isn't going to cut through.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fookoonetwork
fookoonetwork

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Pasquini Moka 90, Anfim...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer
Drip: none
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 11:55pm

Cupping is an exercise for those who have to go through lots of coffees and have to decide what to buy - that's commercial buying, utilizing varying degrees of roasting.  The descriptions are not at all accurate when it comes to what actually one gets in a cup of coffee because cupping is very ritualistic with heavy weighting on aroma.  Some years ago, I brought this subject up to one of the coffee professionals at an SCAA meeting in Long Beach and he agreed that what one gets in cupping may have no relation to what one ends up with in a cup of coffee.  It is too bad that cupping isn't nearly as accurate as evaluating wines.  So it is simply a guide, if one, as a consumer, has to buy the green coffee beans blind.  Just don't get too excited about the smell of the grind, the grind when it is wet, breaking the crust, etc.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013, 7:48am

Yesterday the aroma from SM blend#26 came across to my nose as black currants, not quite the usual blueberry aroma ascribed to Ethiopian blends.

Did that bother me?  Not at all.  It was just cool to pick up some interesting smells.

LMWDP # 010
sgreen
sgreen
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Viblemme Replica E-61
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 7:32pm

I am no expert, but I have a suspicion that those cupping notes are written by people who take their coffee production process much more seriously than I do.

On that basis, when my beans don't match the notes, I usually assume the problem is mine, not the cuppers.

I will affirm, however, that the better equipment I have and the better I learn use it, the closer my coffee gets to the hyperbole.
rmongiovi

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 10:08pm

I'm quite willing to admit that a "professional" cupper has a better palate than I do.  I don't even mind when they use as examples things that I haven't heard of and have no idea what they taste like.  But when they use things that I can't imagine *they* know the flavor of (like coconut *husks* from my original question about the cupping notes) then I just have to call BS.  Now, I suppose if Tom gets on here and swears that he actually tasted coconut husks just in case he ever came across a coffee that tasted like that, and needed precisely that description, I wouldn't be able to call him on it.  I would definitely roll my eyes, though.

But if he ever describes a coffee as having a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit, I'm never buying from them again....
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 7:04am

rmongiovi Said:

But if he ever describes a coffee as having a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit, I'm never buying from them again....

Posted August 30, 2013 link

Seriously, do you know where I can get some of that?  I'm gonna be visiting my in-laws in a few days and am dying to get some ...

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 8:51am

rmongiovi Said:

Posted August 30, 2013 link

LOL.... think I would buy that coffee for people that annoy me lol
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Is it just me?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.299738883972)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+