Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Is it just me?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Is it just me?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Shawn12
Shawn12
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Vario/Virtuoso...
Vac Pot: Yama 5/Balancing Siphon
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 7:41pm
Subject: Is it just me?

Now don't get me wrong. I LOVE coffee.  Just about everything about it but does anyone else think the descriptions put forth by some roasters and green bean suppliers are getting a little nutty?

And I mean "nutty" as in "crazy" not as in " the coffee has a distinct almond nuttiness wrapped in a maple licorice finish with just a hint of fresh mango"

I just read the following description from a well known supplier.

"This bean is loaded with lemon blossom, orange marmalade, green grape, and butterscotch."

Really? green grape? Not Emperor Grape or Concord Grape? Green grape?

Perhaps my palette just isn't refined enough  to pick up these subtle differences but I wish the descriptions used were a little more universal.  I actually read one the other day that used "whipping cream" in the description.

Is it just me? :-)
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 10:03pm
Subject: Re: Is it just me?

If you are talking about espresso, it likely would take better equipment than you have to bring out such flavor nuances. Also,these are usually very much background tastes, and hints of tastes. I will add that if your diet has many artificial flavorings in the food you  eat, that can affect the way you perceive more subtle flavors as well.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 10:52pm

Cupping coffee or wine and whisky tasting is an aptitude that can be learned. What we call flavor is a complex sensation composed of taste (salty, sweet, bitter, sour), smell (aromas like caramel, fruity, chocolate, etc.) and mouthfeel (hot, oily, watery etc.), but it's mostly your nose that needs to be trained to identify those aromas.

In order to learn wine tasting, for example, you can get vials of the most common aromas found in wine like berries or peach. You start by smelling those until you can identify them. Then you progress to smelling and tasting wine and try to discover those aromas. By then, it's usually fairly easy to identify frequent and predominant aromas like blackberry or tannic acid. It's basically all about activating our nose memory.

For cupping coffee it's basically the same. The coffee taster's flavor wheel can help to name your sensations. Maybe this Beginner's Guide to Cupping can help you as well.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Shawn12
Shawn12

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 5:35am

So I absolutely agree that both my palette and equipment need upgrading. And rereading I should certianly apologize.My comment was in no way meant as an insult to cuppers. I guess the heart of my point isn't the necessity of lengthy descriptions or that cupping doesn't yield immense benefits in your appreciation of different beans because I believe that to be the case. However, after reading several recent descriptions  and trying to make my selections I didn't find them overly helpful. Over the top really ... with more concern about marketing their coffee than providing me with helpful selection criteria." Lemon blossoms" for example ...don't think I have ever eaten an actual lemon blossom before as I doubt most have.

The discussion on this post I found on here from 8 years ago makes my point far better than I did.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/questions/198898?Page=1
BonsaiDoug

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Roaster: FreshRoast SR500
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 6:56am

For me, this raises another question.  Are these flavor descriptions coming from a cupping session, or a "simple" brewed cup of coffee?  We all drink coffee, but how many of us do cupping sessions?  Perhaps, if we don't "cup," we'll never really taste all the nuances listed in supplier's descriptions?
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 7:27am

I'm the same way, I can discern the difference to me of what is a good cup/shot and what isn't. Like bright coffee's all taste just sourish/lemony to me. I like more deeper notes like chocolate/caramel etc. But I agree, you'll see coffees with notes like "taste like caramel mixed with pralines and chocolate then dipped in roasted nuts sitting in butter with a hint of apples chopped in topped with rose petals" lol.... to me I'm just like taste good, I don't really taste any of that.

I can totally break down taste with beers or wine (especially beers not to toot my beer connoisseur horn heh) ... can't do the same for coffee even when I've been to cuppings, just either taste good or doesn't to me 99% of the time. Sometimes I can taste slight hints, like Bali Blue Krisha I love as it's a balanced bright coffee but doesn't have that sour/tarty/floral taste that damn near all other bright coffees have to me and I can sorta make out their cupping notes..so who knows lol
svyerkgeniiy

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 7:34am

I am convinced that some people are just supertasters, and they actually do taste some special things.  Describing these special things is challenging, which is why they are just weird sometimes.  It is probably also why they are harder to please, and thumb their nose at the general public's more pedestrian tastes.

But alas, I am not a supertaster.  I can barely taste any of those things that they often go on and on about, and when I can taste them, it is not enough for me to really care about it.  For example, I have twice paid for a pound of unroasted Gesha (a total of about $50 for separate purchases), roasted it to the recommended stage, and... been underwhelmed.  I could tell the difference, but barely, and not enough to care.

So if I can't appreciate $35/lb coffee, why buy it?

My palate balances differently.  I dislike acidic coffees like Kenyans, and prefer the heavier bass notes of Indonesians.  Roasting darker kills even more of the acidity, to my preference.  I do get a flavor benefit out of higher quality coffees that I roast and grind myself, so I make that extra effort.  But it was the exploration that taught me what I like; I pay less and less attention to Tom Owen's cupping notes.  He must be enjoying his job immensely, but I can't drink in that space too much.

So my suggestion is: try it once.  If you like it and are willing to pay for it, buy it.  Ignore the raves of people who like what you don't, or taste things that you can't.  They can have their own little corner of Aromaheaven without me.

--dv

Donald Varona
Shawn12
Shawn12

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 8:48am

CMIN Said:

"taste like caramel mixed with pralines and chocolate then dipped in roasted nuts sitting in butter with a hint of apples chopped in topped with rose petals"

Posted August 16, 2013 link

Rose petals on top !!! nice. LOL

When choosing green beans I was just expecting suppliers to start with the stuff I think is more important to the buyer.. Such as some of the classification abbreviations  below  I'm trying to train myself to look for. Far more helpful in choosing a bean to roast  IMO then " hints of baby's breath" I like a good detailed flavour description too but that shouldn't be all that is there.

SG = Shade Grown
HB = Hard Bean.
FAQ = Fair Average Quality
SHG = Strictly High Grown (implies higher quality)
SHB = Strictly Hard Bean (similar to SHG)
Washed
DP =  Dry Process

etc...
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 11:04am

I would say I have a limited palette, if the tasting notes are to be believed. Sometimes and only sometimes I can identify one or two of the descriptors on the bag of coffee.

I can't take the tasting notes too seriously. At the end of the day they are trying to describe in words something which is a smell/taste/flavour, something that is a sense and varies between individuals. A visual analogy might be describing a shade of blue. Who really knows what the other person is seeing?

You've got to put something on the bag but at the end of the day for me the acidity is what's important, the way the coffee is processed and the distinctive flavour profiles of some regions eg Indonesian coffees.

If there are super tasters, it's immaterial to me since it's not what I'm tasting.

Some of my favourite coffees are Hondurans, Guatamalans and Colombians which are washed and which just hit the spot and taste to me like my expectation of coffee. Admittedly a useless description.

Still it's fun to read the descriptions and at the end of the day it's advertising for that coffee and it does influence your purchasing decision. So long as they don't go too far and fall into the caricature category.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696, Zass
Drip: Aeropress, Brazen
Roaster: Behmor, TO/SC, Poppery I
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 1:37pm

When I upgraded to the Pharos grinder, I began to detect some of those taste descriptions for the first time.  That is using the Lusso lever espresso machine.

LMWDP # 010
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Is it just me?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.287811994553)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+