Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Roastmaster App Ver 4 by Rainfrog Inc
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roastmaster App...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 2, 2012, 9:44am
Subject: Roastmaster App Ver 4 by Rainfrog Inc

For those of you who use the Roastmaster App by Rainfrog look here,  Danny Hall has just made available Ver 4 with some interesting upgrades.

to begin with, he has figured out how to do temperature data logging using 3rd party devices (Phidgets) for those who have roasters that can accommodate thermocouples.

For Behmor Roasters it is now possible to have 'curves'.  But what curves?  The very ones in Joe Behm's manual, and re-scaled somehow to fit the program and profile you are using.  For example, it is difficult (...well, impossible) to mentally scale the diagram so to drop the 'notch' in P2 right at the end of the 1CR.  I think Danny has done it.  

There are many other improvements.  Even before Ver 4 that App was essential to my roasting and inventory management.  This is a real breakthrough.  It might even get me into Phidgets and Linux (if I can only figure out where to put the thermocouples).

Jerry
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 1:25pm
Subject: Re: Roastmaster App Ver 4 by Rainfrog Inc

I have now completed 3 roasts with the upgraded Roastmaster App.  The last one, to-day, 10 oz of Monkey Blend, set at 1 lb., P3, B, had Behmor's P3 profile overlaid on the roast diagram.  I had a chance to check (using my Kill-A-Watt Meter) that the profile was scaled correctly, that is, that the power increases occurred exactly where they should have.

Granted, the kind of roast profile you get on the Behmor is kind of simplistic and not flexible;  nevertheless, having it scaled for my roast weight and watching the roast proceed within it will let me make the best of it.

I have no connection with RainFrog Inc (or Danny Hall) except as a customer.  I'm surprised that no-one in this forum ...seems to know about or use the App.

Jerry
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 2:23pm

Jerry, I really love this app for keeping inventory and logging roasts from my Diedrich. I print labels from the App which keeps 20lb roast sessions far more organized with beans, roast date, duration, and crack times on the label.
fuzzymarmalade

Espresso: olympia cremina
Grinder: gaggia mdf, baratza maestro
Drip: clever dripper, chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 1:32pm

Seeing that the last reply in this thread was in December, I'm going to toss this out there before I start a topic -

Just got the roastmaster app and I'm really confused. I have a behmor and generally do a 1:00-2:00 preheat on roasts. i want to use the behmor curves? profiles? but want to reflect the preheat time. I've sent a message to Danny yesterday - he responded and told me to put custom preheat settings in the behmor roaster custom setting type setup. I did that - but I dont see any change in program or profile - posted on the roastmaster forum again - sure I'll hear back soon but wonder if anyone had any thoughts?

Its an interesting relational database program and maybe because I dont have any roasts logged on it it isnt doing what I want. Im using it on my iphone which makes it particularly distracting.

Thanks!!
Steve
efilive

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II
Grinder: Macap M4D/Rocky...
Drip: capresso aroma...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 7:36pm

If you're willing to use a Windows laptop instead, you might look at RoasterThing, which I think properly handles all Behmor scenarios. I'm biased of course as I'm the author. It's free so there's no penalty for trying.

Ira

The guy who wrote RoasterThing
www.RoasterThing.com
JKalpin
JKalpin

Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 8:34pm

fuzzymarmalade Said:

Seeing that the last reply in this thread was in December, I'm going to toss this out there before I start a topic -

Just got the roastmaster app and I'm really confused. I have a behmor and generally do a 1:00-2:00 preheat on roasts. i want to use the behmor curves? profiles? but want to reflect the preheat time. I've sent a message to Danny yesterday - he responded and told me to put custom preheat settings in the behmor roaster custom setting type setup. I did that - but I dont see any change in program or profile - posted on the roastmaster forum again - sure I'll hear back soon but wonder if anyone had any thoughts?

Its an interesting relational database program and maybe because I dont have any roasts logged on it it isnt doing what I want. Im using it on my iphone which makes it particularly distracting.

Posted March 24, 2013 link

Steve, because of my usage I do 10 oz roasts.  I did a Brazil yesterday, set at 1 lb, P3, B.  Because I do 10 oz but set the Behmor at 1 lb I don't need to do any preheat; I have lots of roast time even into the 2CR (if I want it).

Now that I have ver 4 installed in Roastmaster, there is a 'weight entry field' 2/3 the way down.  When I select it I get choices of 1/4, 1/2 or 1 lb.  I select 1 lb (as that's what I set into the Behmor).  THEN the P3 profile is drawn up on the Roastmaster display but the X-Axis is scaled in minutes, not % as shown in the Behmor manual.  

One other reason I do 10 oz roasts is that when I roast (say) 1 lb ...with preheat... the roast time is, in my view, too long and I am approaching 'baked beans'.  My line voltage is around 120V.  If it was a bit higher (say 122-123V) I think my roasting time would be shorter.

I don't know if any of this is useful to you.  I still could not do without Roastmaster.  It is elegant and useful and makes record-keeping around a complex process (roasting) real easy.

Jerry
auntkitten

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 Rossini...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Roaster: i-Roast 2
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 1:38pm

Thanks for the tips. I've been a  little confused at times with this app, but Danny was super responsive with explanations. I'm currently using it with my i-Roast 2, but will be looking to use it with a Behmor in the future.
Henrythewound

Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 3:09pm

Just another quick note of praise for Roastmaster, I recently started using it with my new Behmor and I'm about 7 roasts in. I can start to see the comparisons between roasts taking shape. I had some general questions and Danny got back to me right away with excellent tips and explanations, I highly recommend the Roastmaster app especially if you use a Behmor or want to use a temp probe for your home roasting
Flori

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 11:08pm

thanks for this, will download and check this app out :).

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roastmaster App...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.281091928482)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+