Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
roaster suggestion for 15lbs a week
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > roaster...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Mon Aug 5, 2013, 9:39am
Subject: Re: roaster suggestion for 15lbs a week

Burner0000 Said:

I chose the Sonofresco over the Coffee Crafter roaster because Sonofresco has been around for a while.
>snip<
>snip<

Posted August 5, 2013 link

/
Is your Sonofresco gas or electric?

More Sono Fresco info:
Click Here (www.homeroasters.org)
 View Profile Link to this post
ricardo_dacosta

Posted Mon Aug 5, 2013, 3:38pm

(I was actually considering the SonoFresco but after reading some of the reviews on this site (Click Here (coffeegeek.com)) am afraid it might be costly in the long run. How long have you had yours? and has the glass chamber or any other parts broke as has happened to others? Thanks!

Burner0000 Said:

I chose the Sonofresco over the Coffee Crafter roaster because Sonofresco has been around for a while.  I was able to find mine used for $1750. (1.4 lb model).  New they go for around $2,400.  Amazon has them for sale too.  IMO this would be a good starting point.  It can roast 1/4 lb(666 g) in under 20 min.  To hit your 15 lb per week capacity you would only have to roast 3 times a day, 5 days a week or half a days time.  Some people think it's not the greatest roaster but from what I have seen it's built to take a beating.  As long as the temp probe stays clean it hits the roast target.  Yes right now it only has  0-9 profile settings Cinnamon - Spanish roast which IMO is awesome. :p They are working on a new control board that will allow you to roast custom profiles via Laptop/PC which should be available next year.

View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Breeze
Breeze
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Pasquini Livia S
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/Rocky
Drip: TechniVorm/Krups MB
Roaster: Toper 1 kilo
Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 4:52am

ricardo_dacosta Said:

I go thru about 12-15lbs a week in a small stand I run.  I have been slowly learning about good coffee and am at the point where I would like to get into roasting my own beans. I would want to start with something small, roast 3 lbs a day or so. I have been reading reviews of different home roasters on this site. Will a home roaster be too much for 2-3 pounds a day? What would be my next step if not a home roaster?

Posted August 2, 2013 link

A home roaster will get old fast (figuratively and literally) for three pounds a day

I've been roasting commercially on a 1 kilo Toper gas fired for a few years now.  My average weekly quantity is 30 pounds and I find a 2.2 pound drum perfect for my little market.  I would imagine that current pricing on this roaster is North of $5,000, plus shipping, etc.  Diedrich, for instance is more expensive than Toper, albeit a more sophisticated machine.  Double the capacity from that and rule of thumb says the price nearly doubles as well.

Comment was made, from the land of regulation about all the BS you can run into with the local authorities.  That must be considered but here, there is virtually no regulation of anything so for me it was easy.  (Correction: Here there are regulations for everything but they are so complex that no one understands them and no one is interested in enforcement)
The only hard and fast rule is not to wave the red flag in front of the bull but I guess that applies anywhere!
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 6:16am

Is your Sonofresco gas or electric?

More Sono Fresco info:
Click Here (www.homeroasters.org)

Gas..  Cost of propane per roast is about $0.06
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 6:25am

(

ricardo_dacosta Said:

I was actually considering the SonoFresco but after reading some of the reviews on this site (Click Here (coffeegeek.com)) am afraid it might be costly in the long run. How long have you had yours? and has the glass chamber or any other parts broke as has happened to others? Thanks!

I have only had mine for 2+ months but it's my primary roaster.  The Glass chamber is obviously breakable but I would prefer glass over any other material as a roast chamber IMO wouldn't be a good idea if I want the roast process to be visible.  I just replaced the temp probe and it has since roasted amazingly.  IME so far I feel the only expenses down the road will be future temp probe replacement for $75 or so but I plan to just build and install my own.  The manual tells how to hold the chamber so you don't drop it and I rarely leave the table with it when I bag my coffee.  All of the parts on the roaster are thick solid metal.  I have read that other Sonofresco users are able to roast hundreds of times before having to replace anything.   I could see the control board eventually needing to be replaced but the beauty of the heat source in the Sono only directs heat into the chamber (in shot burner).  Air around the chamber that escapes a bit is cold.

Main reason I bought it was for the auto feature and roast visibility.  Also waiting for the new board to release (allows for custom roasting)  

If you use the Sono roaster properly as they state it's great.  

After reading the review you posted here is what I have come up with

1. Breaking the chamber.  It's made of Pyrex so it's pretty durable but not unbreakable.  I have knocked it a few times, nothin.
  2. Cost for the roaster is high? Yes I assume to make a profit.  Materials and internal would run to close to $1000 + they hand build them all.
  3. Profiles.  Are based on roast temp - cooling from beans to temp probe.  If you got a clean probe and a vent attached to make sure no cold air mixes at the top of the roaster to throw off the temp probe you won't have a problem.  Once it hits it's target it kills the heat.  
  4. Cool down between roasts?  Nope.  Spoke with Sono it's built to roast back to back 24/7.
  5. Cleaning: Does only take about 1 min.
  6. Output: 30,000BTU? No it uses approx 14,000 BTU per roast.   Same as a 2 burner BBQ.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Breeze
Breeze
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Pasquini Livia S
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/Rocky
Drip: TechniVorm/Krups MB
Roaster: Toper 1 kilo
Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 2:42pm

Burner0000 Said:

Gas..  Cost of propane per roast is about $0.06

Posted August 8, 2013 link

+1 and my alternative would be .56 kWh alternating current!  

I also like flame over resistance heat, profile wise, applied to an iron drum.  GermantownRob has IR gas ala Diedrich which I dream of in my wilder moments but I'm a basic guy.  Advancing to gas for roasting the blessed beans is enough.  Cooking anything else, it's Carbon/Charcoal.  My grandfather said, "Propane may not be evil but smelling it reminds me of the devil farting".  

Down vote for electric machines, just my opinion.  Even if the cost of  juice for resistance heaters is normal, lifespan is questionable.  I have six years or so on a Honeywell valve and burner head with no issues.  Burning out Edison elements seems inevitable as incandescent light bulbs have proven to be.  Creating heat with resistance is like paddling up stream, hard and exhausting.

Cheers.
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Aug 9, 2013, 3:52am

The 1kg Gene Cafe  CBR 1200 would exactly suit your needs, perhaps wait until it's available in the US. It is nothing like it's smaller cousin, the 300g Gene cafe and is a proper commercial/not home roaster. I would advise a 240V supply if you can get one as it's electric and draws 3.2 or 3.3Kw.

DavecUK: 1kggene.JPG
(Click for larger image)
oldgearhead
oldgearhead

Posted Fri Aug 9, 2013, 8:53am

At only 3.3Kw, I wouldn't wait for a 1 Kg (2.2 pounds) roaster..
One good heat gun element is 1.5 Kw.
If you like electric go 'Art5', if you like gas, go Sono Fresco...
/
Does the 1 Kg Gene' have bean mass temperature probe?

oldgearhead: 861-1633_large.jpg
(Click for larger image)
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Aug 9, 2013, 11:22am

oldgearhead Said:

At only 3.3Kw, I wouldn't wait for a 1 Kg (2.2 pounds) roaster..
One good heat gun element is 1.5 Kw.

Posted August 9, 2013 link

What are you trying to say, the meaning is not clear?
oldgearhead
oldgearhead

Posted Sat Aug 10, 2013, 8:14am

DavecUK Said:

What are you trying to say, the meaning is not clear?

Posted August 9, 2013 link

The 'commercial' Gene' at 3.3kw would be capable of roasting 2.2 pounds at a time in 'favorable' ambient temperature.
Both the 'Ar5' or the Sono Fresco have more than twice the available heating power..
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > roaster...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.38002705574)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+