Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Roasting, marketing and Competition
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roasting,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
myallawala
myallawala
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 9:45pm
Subject: Re: Roasting, marketing and Competition

I say not to focus exclusively on wholesale. Retail is a big deal because you get face to face with customers and I think there's a lot of appeal in that. Plus, more in your pocket. A lot more. It's also easier to ensure customers are getting the product in exactly the form you intended. You can give advice, build relationships, and potentially fill new markets.
 View Profile Link to this post
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 8:59am

KJH Said:

As for your statement, "Do some market research", I am an MBA and have completed market research in the local area as well as in the wider region. There is definitely a market (as per my original post stated), but I am more interested how professional roasters have tackled this specific obstacle (I stated above) in the past and what may have worked best for them.

I'm not looking for inspiration, a pat on the back, or talk about "uphill battles" rather I'm looking for ways to tackle a specific issue.

Keep posting, I appreciate anyone taking the time to read and submit their opinion.

Posted July 24, 2013 link

Dear KJH,

First, thank you for accepting my response to your post.

In your original post, you asked what market you should go after and where to focus selling.  That made me think that you did not do market research.  Perhaps the market research that was conducted did not serve you well because the original post can be construed by persons like myself to be a request on how to go about doing a specific market research or how to add perhaps overlooked opportunities to research already conducted.  As you know better than I do, the contents of MBA programs are extremely variable (I am not speaking about quality, just breadth) and certain graduates will capitalize on market research to the point of genius while others emphasize many of the other numerous facets of business theory and practice and just pursue the minimum training on market research.
That there is a market in your original post is undeniable, but I was impressed by how eloquently and completely you described the saturation achieved by your competition and, in addition to quantity, you indicated that the quality was up to your standards, as well.  In evaluating your options for online sales (which I believe I understand) and local sales (which, despite my opinions, I admit I do not understand) and taking into account the downward pressure on online sales and the trends that seem to be encouraging home roasting (admittedly a niche-niche market, for now), this lead to my original, pithy response to your post.

I would not have responded if I had understood that you were really reaching out to other professional roasters and perhaps specifically those who had some experience in doing some effective market research prior to establishing their business.  You have my best wishes for good luck.

B
zane9

Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 9:15am

Here in Hamilton Ontario, Tim Hortons dominates the retail coffee market. Yet there are 4-5 coffee roasting companies (including Detour, Red Hill, and Speakeasy) who run successful businesses. They sell to the "coffee culture" (the independent shops) and have a small but thriving retail presence.

I suspect that not being self-limiting in terms of market reach may help you grow your business. Your physical location should not be an impediment to selling regionally.
zane9

Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 9:20am

JKalpin Said:

My local supermarket in Thornhill Ontario Canada is Longo's.  They feature a coffee roastery right in the middle of the store.

The guy who runs it drinks coffee with me a few times a week elsewhere.  He tells me that, not only does he roast to order from a dozen or 15 barrels of greens, he also roasts for the ordinary coffee dispensers (like you find in any supermarket) and claims they are fresh-roasted and refilled every 3 or 4 days...

Posted July 24, 2013 link

No thread-hijacking intended. I replied to the OP.

I'm so impressed by Longo's. An innovative company. I've bought a few of their roasts and can attest to quality. JKalpin, is your Longo's roastery roasting for the ordinary dispensers in the same store? Since moving to Hamilton I haven't been in a Longo's in quite some time.

Thanks.
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 10:14am

zane9, the guy who runs the roaster in Longo's claims to fill the supermarket-type dispensers twice a week with fresh-roast coffee.  He is not a coffee expert himself; his equipment is fully automatic and looks like this gear.  He claims that the setup cost around $15k and I assume it includes the vent piping.  

One of my sons buys there regularly (when I can't supply) and claims it is decent ...but not as good as mine :)

Jerry
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Roasting,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291404008865)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+