Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Sensitive Birds vs Roaster vs Garage Roasting in Winter
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Sensitive Birds...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 1:12am
Subject: Sensitive Birds vs Roaster vs Garage Roasting in Winter

So, I've been contemplating roasting my own beans for a while, but I'm running into a bit of a dilemma and I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas which would help me out here.

In our house, which is a small 1000 sq.ft 3-level split, we have two birds, a budgie and a cockatiel. They're very sensitive to particulates being in the air. My wife gets nervous every time she leaves a pan smoking on the stove or accidentally burns something.  If we had a carbon monoxide leak, they'd be the first to pack it in. (There was a reason why they used canaries in coal mines, budgies are just as sensitive!)

The Behmor roaster seems like a good idea to buy, but I am concerned it would really stink up the house and hurt the birds. It doesn't look like it can vent somewhere.

I also contemplated the idea of roasting beans out in the garage. While it wouldn't be a problem in late spring, summer and early fall, being in Canada we have winter for 8 months out of the year and the interior of the garage, even though it is an insulated one, would fall to -20 C to -30 C in some instances. That really sucks, waiting around when it is that cold outside. I get a feeling it would be hard to roast coffee with mittens on.

Even running a space heater in the garage for hours at a time will only bring up the temperature up no more than 10 C.

It's my understanding that the Behmor won't even try to work when it is too cold and won't heat up. This sucks. I could consider using a propane roaster, but the price of them seem sky-high and I'm considered about carbon monoxide build up. The garage does have a window I can vent out or I could leave the door of the garage open a crack. However, in -30 C, that's no fun. (Also, wouldn't propane affect the taste of the beans as well?)

This gives me a good reason to contemplate putting in a 6000 watt electric garage heater. However, in doing this, if the heater is operating, there would be a noticeable voltage dip and I understand the Behmor doesn't take well to this.

Now, if there was a roaster out there which could vent to an outside window, like a portable air conditioner, I could put the roaster in my bedroom, close the door and there wouldn't be a chance the birds would be exposed to any smoke. Although, the only concern with this, is that someone visiting my house will be confused seeing a roaster in the bedroom. :-)

I only really anticipate that I'd roast a 1 kg batch of beans about once a month, or a half kilogram every two weeks.

So, I'm wondering... what would be the best solution?

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 6:39am
Subject: Re: Sensitive Birds vs Roaster vs Garage Roasting in Winter

I roast on the kitchen stove with the range-fan on low.  The Behmor smoke afterburner works very well.  I get smoke for a minute or so at the start of cooling, where the Behmor fan speeds up and there is a bit of smoke released around the door seal.  I have never set off the smoke detector, even after 2 roasts.

Nevertheless, there is smell, not like coffee, like burnt toast that I hardly notice but my wife does.  

If you have demand metering I don't suggest you put in a 6 KW garage heater; power costs would be way more than the cost of the roaster.  

Why don't you put the birds in an upstairs bedroom when you roast?  (That's the low-cost solution.)

I don't like your idea of roasting 1kg once a month.  Half a kg every 2 weeks is more sensible because the best results are between 3 and 17 days after roasting.  I suggest you set your batch-size to match your usage.  I roast 10 oz (green) = 8.2 oz (roasted) every week or 10 days.  The smaller the batch-size the less the smell.  But also, a smaller batch (in the Behmor) roasts faster.  My 10 oz batches have roast-times of around 15 minutes.  Low line-voltage can extend the roast-time ...to the edge of 'baked beans'.  And I would NEVER attempt to roast a batch of 1 kg.

Jerry
 View Profile Link to this post
Cammie

Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 8:29am

I live in a home similar to the size you describe and I have pet birds.  I simply would not take the risk roasting inside the house.  Like your wife, I am careful not to overheat pans or use any Teflon covered pans/utensils.  The weather is temperate here so I can usually roast all year around outside.  But, my solution has been to install a small shed on my small back patio.  It's adequately vented and just large enough to use a small space heater if needed (I have not found this necessary because the shed gets warm enough just from the roasting). And, it's such a pleasure just to walk outside, unlock the shed and get started without all the moving equipment back and forth as well. Tuff Shed has one of their manufacturing plants here in Southern California and I was lucky to find one of their sample sheds (a smaller version of their smallest lean to shed that they place in home centers so customers can see a sample) at a very low price.  The shed fits perfectly in the small amount of space I have available and nicely holds a small stool, scales, a bean cooler, my roasters, a bulk grinder, bags, sealers and parts and instructions for all my coffee equipment.
sae

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler,...
Grinder: baratza vario
Drip: Melita one cup
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn popper
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 10:46am

I roast in my non-insulated garage and it gets to -40*C in there some days.  The behmor works ok in this temperature and you'll still get good times for first and second crack.  I leave the behmor indoors to bring it to room temperature, put my beans in and then take it out to the garage.  The advantage of it being very cold is that your cooling time is very fast :)
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 11:24am

As sae said if you store your roaster indoors roasting outside or in your garage work fine as if you were indoors anyways. The inside of the roaster reaches 300'F in about a minute.  I used to store mine in a bin with other coffee supplies inside.  

If you are worried just do a 30 sec - 1 min warm up before throwing in the beans.   BTW my Sono is propane and I have roasted the same coffee in either roaster.  I notice almost no difference. No taste due to gas at all.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 1:03pm

I think the Behmor won't start if its internal temperature is below 45F, so store it inside in the Winter, load it up, and take it outside to roast in your garage.  It will do better than you trying to stay somewhat warm.  Cooling will be a snap.

LMWDP # 010
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 2:45pm

Start the Behmor inside, with no beans. When it reaches about 100F., stop it, take it into the garage and proceed as normal... well, except for the Russian fur hat and Nordic sweater..   ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 12:12am

I think I'll save my pennies and try roasting a small batch of beans inside first, underneath the stove hood. (Which just happens to just recirculate the air, it doesn't vent outside.)
From the sound of things, it sounds like burning toast would put more smoke into the house than this unit would.

If that smokes up the house, which it doesn't sound like it will, then I'll consider roasting in my bedroom with the window open and an air cleaner running.

If that drives my wife nuts, then I'll just consider keeping it warm in the house and bring it out to the garage as needed.

Thanks for all of your input!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 4:39am

qualin Said:

I think I'll save my pennies and try roasting a small batch of beans inside first, underneath the stove hood. (Which just happens to just recirculate the air, it doesn't vent outside.)
From the sound of things, it sounds like burning toast would put more smoke into the house than this unit would.

If that smokes up the house, which it doesn't sound like it will, then I'll consider roasting in my bedroom with the window open and an air cleaner running.

If that drives my wife nuts, then I'll just consider keeping it warm in the house and bring it out to the garage as needed.

Posted July 24, 2013 link

Hold on a second here. Roasting produces a proportional amount of smoke to the batch size and roast degree being roasted, a half pound of beans in the Behmor taken to second crack even with the afterburner will produce as much smoke as burned toast or more. This is your birds health/life you are willing to play with for a $8 worth of beans? You will be new to roasting so letting the beans go to far is easy or not roasting far enough because of fear of the smoke will take the pleasure of learning a new hobby away, roast outside until you at least know what you are doing.

The Gene Cafe has a good settup for directing the smoke through a dryer hose.
ThomasK

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bialetti
Grinder: Kitchenaid Pro Line
Drip: Technivorm Mocca Master
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 6:17am

qualin Said:

Posted July 24, 2013 link

Let's look at that elephant in the room first.

If it's the birds you're concerned with, you first plan of action should be to get a REAL kitchen fan - not that recirculating cr*p that is a horrible excuse to work around building code and common sense.

These "fans" were created to meet code reqs stating that you must have some kind of fan in a kitchen, and some counties/municipalities not allowing horizontal venting (which would be required in retrofits and conversions) + cheapo/greedy builders + ignorant home buyers = recirculating fans.  Awful, awful, awful performance - not even good with brand new active carbon filter inserts.

Do whatever you need to - get a code exemption if required - but get a proper venting fan first of all.  That'll address the coffee roasting too.  And your birds will have much cleaner air.  

Also, if you have forced air in the house - install a large HEPA filter in the system - and run the system on (assuming either heat or A/C isn't already keeping the air moving) while you roast - that'll also help keep the air clean.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Sensitive Birds...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305429935455)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+