Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Behmor chaff & ambient temps
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor chaff &...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jamierayo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville DB, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mini E,...
Drip: Aeropress, Kalita Wave
Roaster: iRoast2, Behmor
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 3:30pm
Subject: Behmor chaff & ambient temps

I just started roasting with a new Behmor. My previous roaster was an iRoast2.
With the Behmor, I seem to have a lot of chaff staying with the bean, no matter how long or dark the roast. Is this typical of drum roasters?
With the air roaster, the snaps appeared more violent & the chaff was (seemingly) driven out by turbulence. I had a problem with the chaff staying in with very short roasts, but that problem was solved once I discovered how to stretch out the roast with the iRoast2.

Another question:
How sensitive is the Behmor to ambient temperature?
I discovered that the voltage (under load) is much higher in my garage, on the designated circuit right next to the panel, than it is in my kitchen. (119.6 vs 115.3). It gets pretty cool in the garage during the long winters. If I store the beans & Behmor in the house & move them in the garage immediately before roasting, how much cold can I get away with.
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 4:25pm
Subject: Re: Behmor chaff & ambient temps

I find that the larger the roast, the more the chaff.  I deal with that with a small portable vacuum cleaner, not letting it get loose in the kitchen, where I roast.  When I grind for 1 mug, there is minimal chaff stuck to the grinder container.  When I brew 1.2 litres there is obvious chaff still in the container and also in the filter basket.  But then I am grinding 65g of beans.  Nevertheless, the chaff does not make a mess and does not influence the coffee, so it is just there.

I think that  the Behmor is sensitive to ambient temperature.  I don't roast outside, so it is a non-issue with me.  I roast on the kitchen stove with the range-fan running on low and I have never set off the smoke detectors.

Jerry
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 7:22pm

If you store your Behmor inside, but bring it to the garage loaded and ready to plug in and roast, the ambient temperature will not be a problem for your roasts, especially with the voltage in the garage.

LMWDP # 010
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 6:14am

Beans like Brazil have a crazy amount of chaff.  Even my Sono has issues with it.  If your experiencing a lot of chaff on the bean just give it a good shake over a garbage can before emptying the beans from the drum.  If your roasting in your garage and it's cooler say under 15'C I would just kick it on for 1 min empty to warm up.  This should bring the inside of the roaster to approx 200'F.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
jamierayo

Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 9:51am

I'm not talking about loose chaff in the drum. I am getting a lot of chaff still in the bean - still stuck in the groove.
Burner0000

Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 10:19am

This usually happens with older roasts past 6 months or so.  Same thing tho giving the drum a shake helps get some off the beans.  None the less chaff doesn't effect flavor IMO if some ends up in the cup.
jamierayo

Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 10:49am

Ok, thank you.
I haven't noticed any bad flavors either. It just annoys me a little. I like the beans to look nice :-)
Burner0000

Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 1:50pm

Yeah I hear you.  This is why I still lean more towards fluid bed roasting.  More uniform roast and a kick a** job of removing chaff.  I only use my Behmor for samples now.  As long as I roast fairly new greens I never have a chaff problem regardless of roaster.
I_bean_good
I_bean_good

Espresso: Rancilio Railto (w/pid),...
Grinder: Vario
Drip: why not espress?
Roaster: Behmore 1600
Posted Fri Aug 16, 2013, 4:17pm

jamierayo Said:

How sensitive is the Behmor to ambient temperature?

Posted July 4, 2013 link

Just a comment that my Behmor lives in the garage which can get quite chilly in the winter and I have no problem using it year-round except as noted below.

I never even bother with a preheat anymore as the type of bean seems to affect roasting times far more than starting ambient temperature.

I can report that if the garage gets to 40F then the Behmor reports "Err 01" and refuses to fire up.

Everything I know about coffee, I learned on coffeegeek
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor chaff &...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279075860977)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+