Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Anyone have a good Gesha profile?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Anyone have a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bicktrav

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 2:22pm
Subject: Anyone have a good Gesha profile?

I just purchased some Guatemala Acatenango Gesha. Half of the beans are going to my brother as a birthday present. This is my first time roasting Gesha coffee. I'm planning on roasting tonight and really want to get the best out of the beans. The profile I'm typically roasting with (in my Gene Cafe) is as follows:

1) 482 until temp read reaches 330 at which point I drop the temp setting to 350
2) Once beans start showing hints of yellow (usually around 6 minutes in), bump the temp back up to 482
3) At onset of first crack, drop temp to 460
4) Begin cooling cycle at end of first crack (roughly two minutes after first crack began).
5) Once internal temp has dropped to 300, pull beans from drum and transfer to a colander; stir until cool

I usually let the beans rest a day before brewing. I've noticed that this profile works very well, but may bring out a touch too much brightness for some (not sure why that would be). Anyway, how does the above look for Gesha? Should I be less aggressive with the temp?  Should I avoid hitting the 482 capacity of the Gene Cafe for fear of scorching the outside without affecting the inside as much? What do you all think? Anyone have any profiles that have worked particularly well? Also, in an ideal world,how long should Gesha rest before brewing?

Thanks in advance for your help!
 View Profile Link to this post
dqts

Espresso: Rancilio S20 midi de
Grinder: Cunill Brasil, Capresso...
Vac Pot: bodum 8 cup
Drip: Chemex, kyoto
Roaster: us roaster corp 1 lb
Posted Tue Jul 2, 2013, 10:18am
Subject: Re: Anyone have a good Gesha profile?

I recently got some panama esmeralda gesha that I am afraid to roast as well,
that being said i asked the advice of a pro in Southern California in a little shop called
Portola Coffee Lab.

He told me to keep it  really light, not going any further past 1st crack or you might lose a lot of flavor
He also said if you want to roast light you want to have a low time for first crack (8-9mins) rather than drawing
out the roast to a 13 min 1st crack and ending up with the same color as a shorter roast time.

When i used to roast on a gene i did 400 for my drying phase then went up to 482 till 1st crack...

I haven't roasted it yet but this is my plan of attack.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rgrosz

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Capresso...
Vac Pot: Yama 5, Yama 8
Drip: TechniVorm, Hario
Roaster: HotTop B-2K, Behmor
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 5:21pm

I roasted some Panama Geisha, Mario Enero lot back in April 2013. I used this profile on a Hottop, with good results. The temperature shown is from the front panel - my installed thermocouples don't work.

DISPLAY                                     Rate of rise
TIME   TEMP   FAN      HEAT    Milestone  per minute
 0:00   300       0%     100%                                   drop 227g beans into roaster
 6:10   320     25%     100%  
 8:20   350     50%      80%  
10:30   375    100%     70%    First crack
11:00   381     75%      50%    1C + :30
11:30   383     75%      50%    1C + 1:00       8
12:30   386     75%    EJECT    1C + 1:30       5

Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee)
rgrosz

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Capresso...
Vac Pot: Yama 5, Yama 8
Drip: TechniVorm, Hario
Roaster: HotTop B-2K, Behmor
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 5:39pm

bicktrav Said:

I usually let the beans rest a day before brewing. I've noticed that this profile works very well, but may bring out a touch too much brightness for some (not sure why that would be). Anyway, how does the above look for Gesha? Should I be less aggressive with the temp?  Should I avoid hitting the 482 capacity of the Gene Cafe for fear of scorching the outside without affecting the inside as much? What do you all think? Anyone have any profiles that have worked particularly well? Also, in an ideal world,how long should Gesha rest before brewing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted July 1, 2013 link

I usually wait 4-5 days before using my Gesha roasts. Some more experienced roasters say that the Gesha is better at 7 days or more.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee)
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 6:22am

I was using the Behmor 1600 when I had my Gesha but what I found worked very well was a slow steady gradual ramp up to a City Roast.  Try to aim for a 15 minish roast time.  Whenever I roast a light roast I do my best to allow the bean to dry and brown properly.  Always got good results.  I would start the temp closer to 300'F.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Anyone have a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249191045761)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+