Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Behemor over capacity roasting.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behemor over...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Koifla
Koifla
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia with Watslow...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: w
Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 8:01pm
Subject: Behemor over capacity roasting.

Hi. I've been roasting with the. Behmore for almost two years. I have read many posts about it but would like to add what I have been doing. Going over a pound in roasting. I just roasted 1lb 5oz on P1 and it is a perfect roast just shy of 2nd crack. My last roast was 1lbs 3 oz on P2 and was just into 2nd crack. I found I could easily over roast if I did not watch very carefully so I started over dosing in an attemp to prevent this. It works and I get a larger roast. Instead of playing with time I play with weight. I pre heat with the beans in for about 1:30 or a little longer if I can. Too long and the machine wants a cool down. Then I hit max time and see how it does. Then I play with how much I put in. It works for me and if someone else has posted this idea before Bravo thanks for making my point. I try to post a pic
 View Profile Link to this post
Koifla
Koifla

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 8:03pm
Subject: Re: Behemor over capacity roasting.

Pic
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696, Zass
Drip: Aeropress, Brazen
Roaster: Behmor, TO/SC, Poppery I
Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 10:41pm

By accident I once roasted 20oz on P1 and the roast turned out fine.  

But there was more unevenness in the beans than with a normal sized load.

LMWDP # 010
dorkroast
dorkroast
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 8:19am

I'm more afraid of screwing up a big batch so I've been roasting smaller batches. I am still cringing about cooking my Malabar to vienna by accident and that was only half a pound that I screwed up. :)

Glad to see you're brave enough to do over a pound at a time though. It's a great machine with the limited use I've put mine through.
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 11:28am

Although advertised as a 1 lb roaster, I only roast 10 oz at a time (= 8.3 oz as roasted).  My concern is that, with bigger batches I get longer roast times, sometimes as high as 20 minutes, even on P1, and I think I'm not doing the best with the beans.

Jerry
Koifla
Koifla

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 1:50pm

Good point. I can see some difference between some beans. I thought of that more as a positive thing since none were over or under roasted. Maybe because you only did it only once and by accident all your results and observations may not be definitive.
Koifla
Koifla

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 1:56pm

I can see why you would be Afraid. You need to pay attention. The Behmore comes with a book that may help you understand it's operation. The post I made was a method to minimize over roasting.
Koifla
Koifla

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 2:05pm

You make an interesting point about total roast time. I will try some half pound roasts. I was kind of liking roasting enough for the week and seeing how it develops over a few days. On smaller batches the last cup on the last day always was the best and I would wish I had one more day. By the end of a week I can see they have matured also by then I am ready for a different bean or roast. I will try some small batches.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696, Zass
Drip: Aeropress, Brazen
Roaster: Behmor, TO/SC, Poppery I
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 4:34pm

Koifla Said:

You make an interesting point about total roast time. I will try some half pound roasts. I was kind of liking roasting enough for the week and seeing how it develops over a few days. On smaller batches the last cup on the last day always was the best and I would wish I had one more day. By the end of a week I can see they have matured also by then I am ready for a different bean or roast. I will try some small batches.

Posted June 29, 2013 link

Yeah, try roasting 10 ounces on one day and then 10 ounces one or two days later.  You can tweak the settings to fine-tune what you want in the roast.

LMWDP # 010
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behemor over...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.28616309166)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+