Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Behmor Roasting Profiles
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor Roasting...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
trepanne

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 10:20pm
Subject: Behmor Roasting Profiles

Hello, I recently purchased a Behmor 1600 and have logged perhaps a dozen roasts (all on P1) and I'm happy with the results.  Now I'm looking to play with different profiles.

I can't find any detailed information on Behmor 1600 profiles on the company website, in the user manual and the profile adjustment document.  Best information I can find is here:

http://www.roastmasters.com/behmor.html

First, can anybody verify the profiles given?  E.g. P2 100/60 > 70/30 > 100/10.

Second, what's the effect of adding or removing time once the roast has begun?  Once the roast is underway, how does changing the total roasting time affect the transitions between the power steps of the profile?

Thanks for any insights.
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 6:50am
Subject: Re: Behmor Roasting Profiles

I find the most important part of the manual to be in the 'Tips' section.

Here's one:

1. Know your beans. Hard Bean (SHB - strictly hard bean or HG- high grown) vs. Soft Bean is based on the altitude at which beans are grown. Bean suppliers often post data about grades, such as SHB, HG, etc. when describing the bean characteristics.
    A few examples of standard Profiles for types of bean are:
    P1-2: All Centrals, Peruvian and Colombians
    P3: Brazilians, Africans, Southeast Asians, Malabar*, Jamaican Blue Mountain and Yauco Selecto
    (Puerto Rican)
    P4-5: Kona and other low grown island coffees (P4 just into 2nd crack, and P5 for shy of 2nd crack)
    • Due to types of processing, aged and Decaffeinated Coffees roast quicker and remind users, as discussed earlier, to never gauge a degree of roast by the appearance of oils or non appearance of oils.  

Here's another:

1. Key Tip – ‘Rosetta Stone’: To better anticipate a roast hitting 2nd crack and for additional roast control use the following time guides.
    Adjust times as close to the following using the + or - buttons once you hear the first cracking sound of 1C. This allows you to more accurately control and understand where you are in a roast, especially in cases where you have a bean type that migrates from 1C to 2C seamlessly. This also helps to prevent you from over-roasting your beans.
    1. 1⁄4 lb - 1:30 minutes
    2. 1⁄2 lb - 2:10 minutes
    3. 1 lb – 3:10 minutes
      The times shown are approximately the time it takes from start of the very first snaps of 1st crack (1C) to the start of 2nd crack (2C) for regular coffee. Decaf and aged coffees, such as Malabar, roast faster and get darker more quickly

I just roasted 10 oz of Nicaraguan beans.  According to Tip #5, I used P1 (for all centrals)  I set it at 1 lb, P1, B.

Sweet Maria's recommended FC, so I used Tip #3 and went-to-cool at 2:30 min after the first or second 'snap' of the 1CR.  The roast was perfect.  I could have used P1, A (I would have had enough time) and if not, I could have added a + or a ++ to extend P1 by a minute or two.

Jerry
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 7:02am
Subject: .

trepanne

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 7:44am

Netphilosopher, thanks for the links, they are helpful.

I think the recommendation of breaking out a Kill-A-Watt is a great idea... I have one around somewhere.  That and a stopwatch would tell me what I need to know.

I'm not sure it's going to matter very much in practice, because the line voltage in my current apartment is feeble and I pretty much need to roast 300g batches every other day to stay on top of our household consumption... so to scrape 2nd crack for espresso roasts with these loads, I have to push P1 right out near the maximum allowed by the nanny.

But hey, who can resist playing with a toy?  On the weekends I want to crank out some 150g batches & see what differences I can squeeze from the beans.  First I'd like to time onset of 1st crack for a certain bean, then try to shape P2 such that the temp drops right after that & delays the onset of 2nd crack for substantially longer than contemplated by the "Rosetta Stone" in the product manual.

Thanks again for the pointers - I'm really enjoying the machine, the coffee, and the community here.
efilive

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II
Grinder: Macap M4D/Rocky...
Drip: capresso aroma...
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 10:53am

If you have a PC and ae willing to install some software, www.roasterthing.com , has all the Behmor profiles built in and you can watch them change as you play with the buttons on the simulated control panel.

But, and this is a big but, the profiles only control the maximum heater on time percent and have no relation to bean temp. Man it's maximum on time percent because there is also a thermostat that turns off the heater when it reaches an internal limit.

And it's free so if you don't like it, just uninstall it.

Ira

The guy who wrote RoasterThing
www.RoasterThing.com
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 6:15am

OTOH, if you have an iPad or iPhone you could go to the App Store and look for Roastmaster by Rainfrog.  Look here.

As well as keeping records, following your roasting process and minding your inventory it also will place the profile on top of the process chart, with the X-Axis in units of time (not percentages as it is in the Behmor manual).  Also it runs simultaneous stop-watches for run-time, 1CR and 2CR.  

The App Roastmaster has greatly improved my use of the Behmor Roaster.

Jerry
kianabedini

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Hario
Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 3:43pm

Seconded - look for Roastmaster. An absolutely great tool. I will check out roasterthing as well.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
myallawala
myallawala
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 9:50pm

The sweet maria's extended review is super helpful: http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.details-behmor.php
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor Roasting...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.268212080002)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+