Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
And so it begins...
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > And so it...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
BonsaiDoug

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Roaster: FreshRoast SR500
Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 5:18pm
Subject: And so it begins...

Greetings all.  New to coffeegeek, and new to home roasting.  Just roasted my very first batch.
El Salvador, roasted just into the start of the 2nd crack.  Shooting for medium-ish roast for my
first attempt.

Guess I'll know in 24-48 hrs.

BTW... using a West Bend "Crazy Air" hot air popcorn popper.

BonsaiDoug: coffee beans2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
RandomTask

Grinder: Barratza Encore
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 1:05pm
Subject: Re: And so it begins...

Welcome to the endless quest/fanatical devotion/wondrous journey that is coffee roasting. Be prepared to experiment, tinker and try to explain to people that you're not crazy when you tell them you roast your own coffee.

That looks pretty good for a first attempt and if you're aiming for a City+ roast, it appears you got there. Here's my number 1 thing when it comes to roasting; if it tastes funny, give it another day of rest. It somehow makes coffee that is a sour, grassy mess into something smooth and pleasant.

Roasting with an Air popper is a great way to learn, I've been using one for over 5 months but you will learn to hate the batch sizes. Once that happens you get to consider either buying a "retail" roaster or building your own. I've not taken the plunge yet, but I'd like to be able to roast once a week as opposed to two batches every other day.
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 7:44am

Posting removed, obvious site troll uncovered.

- site moderators
dorkroast
dorkroast
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 11:31am

I read that he "said" that, but looking at the beans themselves in the picture they don't appear to be FC+ to me. They look to me like a roast that was stopped just prior to 2C at about City+. Of course I've been wrong plenty of times before :)

Welcome to home roasting! It's fun to learn using the small batches with hot air popper. The only issues I've seen with newer poppers is that they have a thermostat that will turn off the heat if they get too hot. On some poppers this will keep them from reaching either 1C or 2C. My brother had a lot of problems with that until we figured out what the problem was and how to fix it.

Unfortunately the "fix" is to cut out the thermostat which removes a safety device for the popper so do so at your own risk....of course we are already risking a kitchen fire by using a popper for something it wasn't intended....so drink more coffee and roast away!

What I find funny is how people react when they find out that you actually roast your own coffee...you tend to either get the reaction that you are some sort of survivalist who lives in a little cave somewhere, or that you belong to some club of coffee elite. If only folks realized how easy roasting your own coffee actually is.

I'll agree with what Randomtask said about letting coffee rest a bit after roasting. I usually roast a Malabar (it's my favorite) which works really well with my popper. It's so-so after roasting....but 5 days later it's outstanding. Sure I sometimes drink it the next day when I run out, but If I plan it out ahead I'll run out of one batch right when the next batch has rested 5 days. I try to consume it all before it reaches 10 days.....then the cycle starts again.

You will find some beans work better in a popper than others. I've had great luck with Malabar in my roaster. However I've found that some of the smaller bean origins don't seem to work as well. I recently tried a Guatamalian (sp?) which turned out pretty poorly. With the smaller beans and lack of control with a popper it seems that 1C runs into 2C and the roast doesn't turn out very well. With larger beans 1C stops and there is a lag before 2C starts which seems to make for a better end result. YMMV.

Best of luck to you!
CapnJimbo

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 2:03pm

Let me add to the preceeding and state that unless you d/c your thermostat, you will sooner (rather than later) run into issue.   Nice roast, probably a City+.    Good luck!
BonsaiDoug

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Roaster: FreshRoast SR500
Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 5:03pm

CapnJimbo Said:

Let me add to the preceeding and state that unless you d/c your thermostat, you will sooner (rather than later) run into issue.   Nice roast, probably a City+.    Good luck!

Posted December 25, 2013 link

Correct-a-mundo!  I did the thermo disabling not too long after starting with this popper, and have experienced excellent roasts ever since.  Standard roast for me now with the AC is about 20-30 seconds into second crack.

Funny thing... I figured I'd run that popper 'till I burned that puppy out, then move on to a Behmor.  That AC is still running strong and producing nice results.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > And so it...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.260491132736)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+