Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Data Logging
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Data Logging  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
Chris_S

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: rancilio silvia, moka,...
Grinder: rocky
Vac Pot: no
Drip: aeropress and press pot
Roaster: hottop & poppery II
Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 9:21am
Subject: Re: Data Logging

Jim, I'm hoping you are subscribed to this thread and get this post. I thought I would keep it going. I was wondering if you could set the TC4 Software up on a tablet?

I know that windows will be coming out with a windows based tablet for windows 8. I'm not sure if it would be possible to use windows's table and get the software working on it, but I also wondered about android based tablets.

I've recently started looking into turning a laptop into a linux OS and I've been trying to come back here to reference what I need to do to get it onto Ubuntu. I know enough computer tech stuff to get me in trouble, by no means an expert, but isn't android a linux based software?

BTW...love the TC4 and data logging. I'm hoping to get into it even more this winter now that I've moved into a place of my own.
 View Profile Link to this post
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 9:30pm

Hi, Chris

The Bourbon application that "talks" to a TC4 device is a Processing application. In theory, any machine that runs the Processing environment should run Bourbon.  I've used it successfully on Ubuntu and Windows XP.

Lately, though, I have been steering people towards RoastLogger. It works seemlessly with a TC4 device and has a nice set of features. It's a Java application so should run on a number of platforms. I dunno if it will run on any tablets, but I'd say it has a much better chance than Bourbon.  The RoastLoggerTC4 sketch has some improvements, too, from the aBourbon sketch.

Artisan also works well with a TC4 device, but I doubt it could run on any tablet.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Chris_S

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012, 8:51am

Thanks Jim,

I initially was having trouble with Bourbon if I'm remembering right. I've been using Artisan, and like the overall feel for it. Have you used RoastLogger much? I'd like to know your opinion of how it compares to Artisan.

With Artisan I like the how I can set a backround (previous roast profile) and try and match the roast. I've been using the notes for each roast stating how the roast did. Then I recorded different brewing methods and what my thoughts were. I haven't made it into the cupping graph yet but I like the feature. I also like the feature of saving an HTML doc. with all the info on it. I've just glanced at the Roast Logger, but I'm wondering if it has similar features and how user friendly it is. It looks free and I will have to take a look at it sometime soon.

Its a bummer to hear that Artisan probably wouldn't work on any tablet, but do you think there would be hope when microsoft comes out with a windows based tablet or would that even matter?
JGG
JGG

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012, 11:41am

If Artisan is working for you, then I have no reason to suggest a change.  

I have used RoastLogger quite a bit, primarily choosing it over Artisan because I can closely control my Hottop heater and fan using RoastLogger.  It also has a semi-automatic profiling tool that, once tweaked for your roaster, can fully automate most roasts with excellent results.

On my slow-ish laptop, RoastLogger is more responsive than Artisan, which lags noticeably when I use programmable event buttons to control the roaster.  I speculated that Artisan would have difficulty on a tablet because of the size of the code, but that was the only reason.

Jim
Chris_S

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012, 12:29pm

Jim, I was wondering if artisan works/installs on the latest Ubuntu 12.4? I installed Ubuntu on my laptop and started going through the instructions for artisan. I'm really green with Linux so bear with me. I ran the .deb file and tried to install through the software center. I don't think it's installing. Usually once it's installed it gives me the option to remove, but this gives me the option to reinstall, which doesn't seem to do anything either. I went to the terminal and typed artisan but nothing.

I wasn't sure if I would have to install similar to the Debian instructions. If so my inexperience with Linux is going to take a little time to understand the terminal and commands.

On my slow-ish laptop, RoastLogger is more responsive than Artisan, which lags noticeably when I use programmable event buttons to control the roaster.

I use an older slow laptop also, and I noticed the lagging buttons.
JGG
JGG

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012, 2:11pm

I never tried the "easy" way, but I was successful in configuring my Ubuntu machine to be able to run Artisan directly from the python source.  It required downloading and installing several python libraries.  But in the end it worked very well.

Before spending a lot of time getting Artisan to run on your Ubuntu machine, I suggest you give RoastLogger a try.  It ran immediately on my Ubuntu laptop, and it only requires java.

Jim
MAKOMO

Roaster: Probat LG3
Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 12:19am

The version 0.6 of Artisan, an open-source software that helps coffee roasters to record, analyze, and control roast profiles, is now available for Windows, OS X and Linux (incl. Ubuntu 12.04!).

https://code.google.com/p/artisan/downloads/list

The most important changes and additions w.r.t. v0.5.x are as follows.
  • Monitoring-only mode reporting readings on LCDs without recording
  • Event sliders e.g. to control the Hottop heater and fan via the HT Roaster Interface
  • Extended alarms triggered by time and temperature on any curve
  • Flexible Modbus RTU support allowing temperature reading and device control
  • Curve smoothing and spike filtering
  • New localizations: Arabic, German, Greek, Spanish, French, Japanese, Norwegian, Portuguese, Turkish, Dutch, Chinese and Hungarian
  • Windows installer, and icons on Windows and Linux

See https://code.google.com/p/artisan/wiki/ReleaseHistory for a detailed list of changes and the Artisan blog http://artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.de for details on some of the new features.

We are deeply grateful for the extensive support we received from many of you, especially in translating Artisan's more than 1200 phrases into several languages (more under preparation). We want to thank Frans Goddijn, Brad Collins, Claudia Raddatz, Marcio Carneiro, Ostnes Runar, Yoshida Minoru, David Lahoz, Savvas Kiretsis, Wa'il, Lukas Kolbe, Oliver Schirmer, Kristoffer Johansson, «etin Barut, Rubens Gardelli, Kyle Iseminger, Kalle Deligeorgakis, Matthew Sewell, Carlito Smith, Rich Helms, Carlos Pascual, Ingo, David Trebilcock, Matt Fischler, Jim Gallt, Gunnar Troll, Alex Fan, Piet Dijk, Bertrand Souville, ZoltŠn Kis and many others.

We do not take donations. But if you are using Artisan in a commercial setting, it would make us (and some others) happy if you would donate to Coffee Kids http://www.coffeekids.org/, a non-profit organization devoted to improving the quality of life for children and families in coffee growing regions around the world.

The Artisan team
arpi
arpi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus III-R
Grinder: Compak Compak K10WBC -...
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest m3 Fresh Roast Plus 8
Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 3:36am

artisan can be used with a wireless tablet but the tablet can only function as a remote control. Thus is, artisan would not run on the tablet itself but the tablet would be used as a remote (accessory).

To set it up, you need a computer running both artisan plus an SVN server application. Then, in the wireless tablet you don't run artisan but instead, you need to run a SVN client application that connects to the computer.  

I would do this for example if I were to be roasting all day and need to move free around (not be physically tied to a table).

Some "tablets" are like $100 or less and run Linux. The operating system of the tablet does not matter (don't need to be compatible with anything) as long as it has an SVN client application available. But it would need to have a wireless card obviously. So, for $100 or less you can get a wireless artisan remote control.

Cheers
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Data Logging  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.262881994247)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+