Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Coffee bean post roast set up time
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Coffee bean post...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jelliott777
jelliott777
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Salvatore Compact Spring...
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Clever
Roaster: motorized Whirly Pop
Posted Sat Jun 1, 2013, 8:03pm
Subject: Coffee bean post roast set up time

I've roasted my own coffee for the past few months in a stovetop popcorn popper. I'm using green "espresso monkey" beans, but it takes 4 days post roast for the beans to perform well in the espresso machine and at least 8 days post roast for the beans to taste delicious. Is this pretty typical? Any tips to use my beans when they're fresher than 8 days? Lighter roast vs darker roast? I typically let the beans degas uncovered for the first 12-24 hours at full city. Thanks!
Jeremy
 View Profile Link to this post
flathead1

Espresso: Anita, La Pavoni pro, 67...
Grinder: Macap M4, Lelit 53, Solis...
Drip: Bodium Press
Roaster: I-Roast1, Behmor, RK Drum
Posted Sat Jun 1, 2013, 9:15pm
Subject: Re: Coffee bean post roast set up time

My experience with Monkey Blend is that it does take at least 4-5 days rest to come into its' own. You can adjust your roasting schedule and/or amount roasted to account for this delay or you can try another of Tom's blends. While I don't have any experience with the "New Classic" his roasting notes indicate a lighter roast and I would expect a shorter rest period.
jelliott777
jelliott777

Posted Sun Jun 2, 2013, 7:13am

Thanks for the reply! So part of the reason it takes so long is because it is a darker roast? A few days ago I roasted the last of my 5lbs and ordered a Brazil an an Ethiopia. I plan to use them as SO espresso and then try them as a blend. Do you have any advice for roasting these origins that would help me out?
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sun Jun 2, 2013, 5:28pm

A roast in the first 24hrs is releasing a bunch of Co2, this can play havoc with flavor of and bloom for drip for 3 days and for espresso fo 5 days,the degassing slows enough in 3 days so the bloom is workable in an open brewing system but in a closed system for espresso it is hard to get an acceptable shot in under 4-5days.

Each variety of bean can vary to what is the best day to drink them in any style of brewing. I have had Yemen beans that where unacceptable for espresso before 14days and any robusto I ever roast sits for 30 days usually before I will blend it. That the problem with guides, they only deal with the average and not the stuff that is outside the box.
jelliott777
jelliott777

Posted Sun Jun 2, 2013, 9:28pm

Wow! 14 days?! 30 days?! Good to know; thanks for the knowledge and advice.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 6:31am

jelliott777 Said:

Wow! 14 days?! 30 days?! Good to know; thanks for the knowledge and advice.

Posted June 2, 2013 link

Those are extremes examples most beans follow the rule of 15, 15 minutes after grind, 15 days after roast and 15months for greens. Pretty typical beans for espresso use to become the most delicious from 5-9 days.
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Jun 5, 2013, 8:44am

I can tell a difference in my espresso about 10-12 days after roasting, after that I'm starting to adjust my grind and tamp, I then bring in the new stuff and toss out the old. I roast about 1/2 pound a week
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Coffee bean post...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270545959473)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+