Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Buying green beans in person
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Buying green...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Bardo

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 3:59pm
Subject: Buying green beans in person

I am new to the game, and looking for a source of green beans that I can actually see and touch. I live in the Washington DC metro area. Any ideas?
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 6:21pm
Subject: Re: Buying green beans in person

Find local microroasters and ask them if they'll sell you green. I've never had a roaster worth his salt who wouldn't sell me greens if I ask politely. Sometimes I can even get them to give me some roasting tips, since many of them started out as homeroasters, too.
Dooglas
Dooglas
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior
Grinder: Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013, 4:59pm

A worthy quest, but a fairly limited one. Very few of us live where we will ever have the opportunity to see or buy the variety of over the counter greens that might otherwise catch our interest. I have found cupping notes to be more useful than the appearance of greens in any case. Sweet Marias, for example, has a selection of quality greens with useful cupping notes. The Green Coffee Buyers Club (a co-op) is another source that consistently includes reliable cupping notes with each offering.

Now, I certainly understand your interest in doing this. There is one over the counter source in my area and of course I visit them periodically. When in Mexico, I make a point of visiting public markets and coffee mills in coffee growing regions. I also made a point of visitng growers and mills in Hawaii while I was there this past winter. Great fun, and you always learn something new.
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013, 8:27pm

Another thought: If you've got Ethiopian markets in the DC area, they always have Ethiopian greens. Not your wide selection, but I've frequently gotten nice greens, both wet and dry (natural) process from some of the Ethiopian markets here in L.A.
34acd

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 2:30pm

GVDub Said:

Another thought: If you've got Ethiopian markets in the DC area, they always have Ethiopian greens. Not your wide selection, but I've frequently gotten nice greens, both wet and dry (natural) process from some of the Ethiopian markets here in L.A.

Posted April 27, 2013 link

Not just Ethiopian marketsómost fairly well-stocked Middle Eastern markets, even in medium-sized cities, will have a bin or bags of green coffee as well as inexpensive spices and legumes from that part of the world. Since virtually everything else in my local market (except the flat bread and the butcher counter) is imported from the Middle East through local channels, its a good guess that the beans are Yemeni or Ethiopian. Inexpensive as well. I've been buying what I think is a dry processed Yemeni locally for $4/lb that is quite good.

The flat breads are usually fresh and a treat too. But the butcher seems a surly lout so I have stayed away from the meats so faróbesides, I haven't acquired much of a taste for goat.
harmolodic

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 7:59am

Beanetics in Annandale, VA, will sell you green coffee--at least they did for me a number of times last year.
macdad

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 4:26pm

GVDub Said:

Find local microroasters and ask them if they'll sell you green. I've never had a roaster worth his salt who wouldn't sell me greens if I ask politely. Sometimes I can even get them to give me some roasting tips, since many of them started out as homeroasters, too.

Posted April 24, 2013 link

This is what I did where I live.  There is a donut shop owner that roasts his own coffee (about 10 varieties).  I asked him to sell me some greens.  He is more than happy to do so.  The way I see it, he is buying in bulk.  He sells them to me with a small markup and doesn't have to put the time in to roast.  I get to buy small quantities and totally avoid shipping costs.  It is a win win.
frankward
frankward

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional Gold,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, OE Pharos
Drip: Hario, Chemex
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 7:40am

Try http://qualiacoffee.com/ They are at 3917 Georgia Ave NW. I buy green from them when I visit my kids in DC.
Ceremony in Annapolis is also very good for green beans. They usually ship them to me as I seldom get to MD.  
http://ceremonycoffee.com/  

Also, DC has the best Ethiopian food in the US, so they probably have very good beans somewhere in town.
greenbeanmachine

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 8:57pm

If I were you or anyone else I would look for a local roaster to buy beans from.  They will Probably mark it up a little bit but you can see and sample roast them probably in person.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Buying green...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.289608955383)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+