Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Behmor finally died - get another or try something different?
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor finally...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
raytracer

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 6:33pm
Subject: Behmor finally died - get another or try something different?

Hi - I have enjoyed the behmor for going on 4 years now. I had a fire in mine not long after I received it - user error. Behmor went above and beyond helping me bring it back to life and it has limped along ever since. Now it will not get through the first 5 minutes of a roast before shutting off and not turning back on.

My question is, should I buy another or should I try something else, like maybe a Gene cafe? I had been happy with the behmor and the price is nice but wondering if now would be a good time to try something different?

I typically roast a pound a week and don't have any concerns about smoke.
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 8:36pm
Subject: Re: Behmor finally died - get another or try something different?

You like the Behmor, you like the roast it produces, and you are evidently accustomed to its operation to produce the coffee you like. The Genecafe will not be a step up. There is the Hottop at a much higher price, and the "B" offers full control, but the investment is only with it if it can produce a coffee you like more. Contact me offlist and I would be glad to roast a batch of your coffee for you so you can find out... if you so desire.

DISCLAIMER: Hottop is a client of mine, but I do not sell them nor benefit financially from their sales.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696, Zass
Drip: Aeropress, Brazen
Roaster: Behmor, TO/SC, Poppery I
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 7:25pm

Why not see what a new motor and circuit board would cost?  It might be cheaper than you think.

LMWDP # 010
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 4:46am
Subject: .

BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 6:59am

I just had a problem with my two year old Behmor (though there was never any fire in it). It would randomly turn off during roasts (display would go blank). I could turn it right back on but obviously couldn't resume the roast since the roaster had to cool down first.

Behmor tech service was great and they sent me a new PC board for $28 including shipping. You can run it by them, but that may be all you need.

PS: This may be stating the obvious but I'd mark the old board in some way so that you have no chance switching them by mistake. As dumb as it sounds, I may have done so making the troubleshooting / repair rather confusing.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 8:41pm

Depends what you want to do.  If your ambitions have gone beyond the Behmor, and you can afford something different and better, buy something different and better.  At $300, the Behmor is a helluva deal, but it's hardly the last word in sophistication and user control.  

Assuming they meet your quantity needs, the obvious next steps are the HotTop B or P (250g); then a HotTop B modded with after market electronic probes and/or some sort of computer interface (still 250g); then either a Quest M3 (200g but can batch roast) or Huky 500 (500g and can batch roast) similarly equipped; and after that, you get into big machines and bigger bucks.  

Best for you?  Depends on you.      

Got money?

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 8:03am

New board is only $30.  I would but one and a motor for future replacement.  Even though I now have a commercial roaster I still wan't to use my Behmor.  Bottom line the cost of it for what it does is a great deal and will always be the best IMO.  All appliances eventually need parts these ones are very cheap!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 5:33am

Behmors are not that hard to rebuild. I own 2 Behmors 1 3yrs old and another under a year. Have recently rebuilt the 3 yr old and updated the other with new elements and Transformer. it's not that difficult to rebuild a behmor with Great tech support and a little common sense. At $300 a pop for the ability to roast up to a lb at a time there isn't any other options out there at this price point, even if you build your own. Sure it would be nice to have a little more control over the roast but it's hard to justify spending at least 3 times as much for something that offers more control but only can roast 250g max. You can roast around 200 lb of beans with the behmor before needing to replace the elements. I've asked people before about the hottops and no one seems to know how many lbs you can roast before the element needs changed. I was waiting for the bigger hottop to arive but from the price point speculation (over $3g), looks like I will just keep rebuilding my behmors.
fpmr96a
fpmr96a

Espresso: Quisinart, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky, Grindmaster 825
Drip: Capresso, Bodum Press
Roaster: BBQ and Gene
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 4:39pm

After my second Gene died, I evaluated most the same options and ended up going with a BBQ roaster from http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com/ .   I bought a new grill from Lowes, and a 5 lb stainless steel drum as well as a cooling/dechaffing machine from coffee roaster club.  Had a little setup to handle but the roaster has worked flawlessly for 2.5 years.   The whole setup was around $1000 but worth every penny.

I can roast 2 or 3 pounds in about 30-45 minutes including setup and cleanup.  My results have been much better with the BBQ than the Gene.  The biggest difference is the consistency of the roast across each batch.  My Gene did a good job, but I seemed to get a variety of roast levels in each batch.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 8:12am

I think you'll probably be annoyed by the slow cooling and the smaller capacity of the Gene-Cafe.  I'm running into the limits of mine, and I've been considering _up_grading to a Behmor, but it's hard to beat the chaff separation and smoke extraction via a dryer vent that the Gene-Cafe offers.  This allows me to roast in the (shared) basement comfortably in the depths of a NE winter, something I don't think I could consider with a Behmor or Hottop.  Plus I like the hands on control of the GC.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor finally...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.262428998947)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+