Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Testing home voltage for roaster. Kill A Watt shows 155v ???
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Testing home...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
SmkSignals

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat May 4, 2013, 5:29pm
Subject: Testing home voltage for roaster. Kill A Watt shows 155v ???

Hi Everyone. I have a new to me Behmor 1600 and love it. Roasts great and have no problems with the roaster.

I was curious about the voltage at the outlet I am using in the garage. I bought the lesser expensive Kill A Watt P4400. From what I read this model shows voltage instantly.  It is reading 155v before plugging in the Behmor. It reads the same after plugging in the Behmor and roasting on the P1 setting. While full into the roast it also reads 1720 watts. When I start the cool cycle the watts drop to 75 (no heating element on).

I plugged it in multiple outlets and they all read 155-156 volts. The same outlet with a 50' extension cord still reads 155v. when plugged in at the end of the cord.

I looked at my breaker box and I have nine 20a breakers and two 15a breakers. Labels are pretty worn off. Being the plugs I am testing with are in the garage (next to washer and dryer hookups) and in the kitchen I assume these are 20 amp circuits?

I have a circuit tester and the lights on the tester show the circuit is correct.

My question is  -

Can I really 155 volts?
Shouldn't the voltage drop when the Behmor's heaters fire up?
If I do have 155v, is this dangerous?

Or is my Kill A Watt bunk?

I appreciate the help.

- Kurt T.
 View Profile Link to this post
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat May 4, 2013, 5:51pm
Subject: Re: Testing home voltage for roaster. Kill A Watt shows 155v ???

SmkSignals Said:

Hi Everyone. I have a new to me Behmor 1600 and love it. Roasts great and have no problems with the roaster.

I was curious about the voltage at the outlet I am using in the garage. I bought the lesser expensive Kill A Watt P4400. From what I read this model shows voltage instantly.  It is reading 155v before plugging in the Behmor. It reads the same after plugging in the Behmor and roasting on the P1 setting. While full into the roast it also reads 1720 watts. When I start the cool cycle the watts drop to 75 (no heating element on).

I plugged it in multiple outlets and they all read 155-156 volts. The same outlet with a 50' extension cord still reads 155v. when plugged in at the end of the cord.

I looked at my breaker box and I have nine 20a breakers and two 15a breakers. Labels are pretty worn off. Being the plugs I am testing with are in the garage (next to washer and dryer hookups) and in the kitchen I assume these are 20 amp circuits?

I have a circuit tester and the lights on the tester show the circuit is correct.

My question is  -

Can I really 155 volts?
Shouldn't the voltage drop when the Behmor's heaters fire up?
If I do have 155v, is this dangerous?

Or is my Kill A Watt bunk?

I appreciate the help.

- Kurt T.

Posted May 4, 2013 link

Electric appliances or motors (whatever) pull amps, not volts. The voltage stays constant and amps go up as the appliance draws power. Amps x volts = watts.
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat May 4, 2013, 7:12pm

When you first plug in the Kill-A-Watt Meter it usually defaults to a voltage reading.

If you had 155V on your incoming line you would be popping light-bulbs and burning out most other 120V appliances.  My guess is that you have a bad meter.

Jerry
SmkSignals

Posted Sat May 4, 2013, 9:44pm

Thanks Jerry. Meter was bad. I went to a friends house and it showed 155v there also. I exchanged the faulty one and bought the EZ version. Line voltage started @ 119 volts. Drops to 112.9 during height of the roast.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696, Zass
Drip: Aeropress, Brazen
Roaster: Behmor, TO/SC, Poppery I
Posted Sat May 4, 2013, 11:29pm

I am now using a Ensupra electric monitor, and the Kill-A-Watt will have duties elsewhere.  The Ensupra has more information on the screen, has a reset button, and show WattHours with more precision.  I use it for roasting and for checking my e-bike's battery usage over miles ridden.

LMWDP # 010
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 9:28am

slybarman Said:

Electric appliances or motors (whatever) pull amps, not volts. The voltage stays constant and amps go up as the appliance draws power. Amps x volts = watts.

Posted May 4, 2013 link

Actually no. Since some roasters use phase power control.

Amps x Volts = VA

Amps x Volts  x PF = Watts

You have both readings on the kill-a-watt.
slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 10:24am

That's what I get for assuming AC and DC were essentially the same.
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 4:14am
Subject: .

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Testing home...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.304417133331)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+