Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
is home roasting worth it?
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > is home roasting...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
mariog7

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Vario
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 5:46pm
Subject: Re: is home roasting worth it?

I was in the same boat and so glad I gave it a try.  Bought a Behmor for $299 and tried various coffees from Sweet Maria's.  I roast espresso for myself and drip for the wife.  It a fun hobby and very satisfying.  Really not difficult at all.  My worst roasts are 100x better than supermarket.  The reason I tried was because I hated spending $10 on shipping for a tiny 12oz bag of fresh espresso that would only last about a week.  Now, I roast half pound at a time and always have fresh coffee on hand.  No more worrying about having too much or too little fresh coffee.

Give it a try!  I'm so glad I did.
 View Profile Link to this post
macdad

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 3:37am

I'm very new to roasting, but I have looked at the same thing.  It is safe to assume that your beans will loose at least 15% weight when you roast them.  After shipping, you are probably looking at $6.50-$7.00 per lb for green beans.  That works out to approximately $7.65 - $8.23 per roasted lb.  

For me, I found a local roaster that sells fresh roasted coffee for $9-10 per lb.  If I drink a lb a week, then I would save close to $1 per week.  That is $50 per year.  I bought a Behmor for $300, so that is a 6 year payback.  Not a good investment if you were in the business world.

But...  I really enjoy learning something new.  I didn't do this to save money, but to learn and experiment, and I get to enjoy the end product.  I haven't roasted a batch yet that was bad.  All were better than supermarket beans.  In addition, the local roaster will sell me his green beans, so I can save a little there and won't need to buy in such large batches.  Also, I am still supporting the local business.  

Go for it.  The only regret I have is not making the purchase sooner!
myallawala
myallawala
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 8:01pm

I wish I'd known what an incredible difference my entire coffee experience would be had I known the grinder and roaster made all the difference. Those two things alone took my coffee to new levels that no other change had. I have a roaster literally down the street but it's far more convenient to roast at my own pace and preference. I also find it cheaper than my alternatives (especially considering my student hour-to-hour value at right about minimum wage) to roast at home. I roast for friends and family too so I have cheap gifts and I sell to some. I have a fraction of my Behmor paid off thanks to people employing me and it to roast them beans!

If you seek good cafe quality drinks and your local alternatives and needs aren't suited to those roasters, it is definitely worth it in my opinion. Unless your time is very very expensive.
earthena

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 11:41am

Thank you for the thorough math on this.  I was curious and needed to see an algorithm to understand the savings to get to the quality.   I'm interested in commercial down and bet there are some fun learnings along the way doing it from home.

I was in southern california and an organic grocer was selling freshly roasted bags just exhausting into the store.  I got some great coffee and their little 3K machine did a credible roast job.
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 8:06am

Home roasting for me serves to remind just how good the pros are and further my appreciation for truly exceptional coffee.  I love home roasting, have for years, but I'll humbly submit that I can't hold a candle to the pros with the right equipment.

Roast for fun, but keep centered in what your doing too.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kafegeek

Espresso: delonghi
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 6:57am

No doubt, if you truly love coffe...
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 8:01am

Coffee roasting is at the center of my coffee experience.
On one side is green bean selection, the other side is brewing.

Finding the origins and varietals you prefer and learning how to roast them is an adventure that may take several years to sort out, and always more to learn.  

Always having fresh coffee, selected and roasted the way I prefer.
That makes it 'worth it' for me.
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 7:13am

Home roasting takes a lot of time. You need to practice it until you'll get the perfect roast or what's suitable to you. You don't need to do it in one day, do it in your free time, maybe you'll like it as a hobby. It doesn't really mean you can save a lot of $. It depends on the price of the beans you got and the quantity you consume.

Every sweat, dollar, time spent on home roasting is worth the hassle. You won't regret the experience the thrill and joy of getting your own cup of Joe. But then again, it depends on each person. You need to have a lot of patience and dedication in the craft of home roasting.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 7:24am

macdad Said:

I'm very new to roasting, but I have looked at the same thing.  It is safe to assume that your beans will loose at least 15% weight when you roast them.  After shipping, you are probably looking at $6.50-$7.00 per lb for green beans.  That works out to approximately $7.65 - $8.23 per roasted lb.  

For me, I found a local roaster that sells fresh roasted coffee for $9-10 per lb.  If I drink a lb a week, then I would save close to $1 per week.  That is $50 per year.  I bought a Behmor for $300, so that is a 6 year payback.  Not a good investment if you were in the business world.

Posted March 24, 2013 link

Not sure, but I would think that coffee you buy roasted for $9-10 per lb is usually of lower quality than greens selling for $7 / lb, so I think the break even point is probably sooner.
macdad

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 4:17pm

BarryR Said:

Not sure, but I would think that coffee you buy roasted for $9-10 per lb is usually of lower quality than greens selling for $7 / lb, so I think the break even point is probably sooner.

Posted May 5, 2013 link

Well, the green beans come from the same place that I was buying the roasted coffee from.  However, after roasting some of the coffee myself, I think mine tastes better (I could be a little biased :) ).  I think the main reason being that I really like roasts around City to City+.  The shop that I was buying roasted beans from almost always roasts at full city.  

This is another plus for me, much like the others are saying.  I roast the coffee the way I like it and in smaller batches.  It is always super fresh and tastes great, even in a drip machine.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > is home roasting...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310411930084)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+