Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
What is an even roast?
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > What is an even...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
tglodjo
tglodjo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 9:37am
Subject: What is an even roast?

I'm curious what an even roast is supposed to look like. Given different bean sizes in blends, will all end up the same color? I'm attaching a picture of my most recent roast of El Competidor from SW (FC+?) and it looks like many of my roasts recently, with some beans lighter or darker than others. Is this even? If not, what am I doing wrong? I'm roasting on a Behmor on P3 at the 1lb setting (though only roasting half a pound).

tglodjo: IMG_1212.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 10:52am
Subject: Re: What is an even roast?

I gather that you meant "SM" (Sweet Maria's) rather than SW. I also gather that El Competidor was a blend SM sold. If so, as a blend, you will get some uneven roast colors, as there are beans of varying densities, water content, etc. in the mix.

If you want to see a single origin bean that roasts very unevenly, see this thread at SM's site.

Also see this thread about roasting blends with the Behmor.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 12:01pm

I recently acquired some Ethiopia Gr. 1 DP Yirga Cheffe Kochere from Sweet Maria's which has a bit of color through the greens I haven't seen in other varietals from them.  They do color differently on roast too.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 12:49pm

tglodjo Said:

I'm curious what an even roast is supposed to look like. Given different bean sizes in blends, will all end up the same color? I'm attaching a picture of my most recent roast of El Competidor from SW (FC+?) and it looks like many of my roasts recently, with some beans lighter or darker than others. Is this even? If not, what am I doing wrong? I'm roasting on a Behmor on P3 at the 1lb setting (though only roasting half a pound).

Posted April 28, 2013 link

By the visual I would say you have a City roast, possibly City+.  But definitely not a Full City+.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 7:22pm

I gather that you meant "SM" (Sweet Maria's) rather than SW. I also gather that El Competidor was a blend SM sold.

Yes and yes. Thanks for the links. They're a great help.

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

By the visual I would say you have a City roast, possibly City+.  But definitely not a Full City+.

Len

Thanks. The pic makes it look much lighter than it is. Sometimes I'm afraid I'm going to far into second crack, but lately I've wondered if I'm even hitting it. Is 2C much different from 1C in sound? I don't want to burn, and sometimes I go we'll over 3 min after first crack. But maybe what I'm thinking is 2C is actually just more 1C....
Burner0000

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 6:57am

tglodjo Said:

Thanks. The pic makes it look much lighter than it is. Sometimes I'm afraid I'm going to far into second crack, but lately I've wondered if I'm even hitting it. Is 2C much different from 1C in sound? I don't want to burn, and sometimes I go we'll over 3 min after first crack. But maybe what I'm thinking is 2C is actually just more 1C....

Yes 2C is pretty much unmistakable. Sounds like snapping toothpicks. Keep in mind that 2C will look pretty dark and soon after the beans will begin to shine (Vienna roast).  P3-5 on the Behmor are lower heat profiles meaning longer roasts before hitting 2C.  I use P1 and P2 for med to dark roasts and P3-5 for quality lighter roasts.  
As for blending uneven roasts will always happen unless you are blending all hard or soft beans.  If you were to blend and use say P5+D profile you may see a more even roast.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 9:23am

I don't know about the odors a Behmor produces. With my HotTop I've only roasted outside, and have recently given over using the filter assembly they provide as nothing so much as a damper... what I notice when I'm starting strongly into second crack in the exhaust smoke is a more acrid note.  My nose is becoming sensitive to notice when I start leaving the land of smooth caramels and start the driest beans giving up their oils to flash off and cause the odor of the smoke to change.  This can be ahead of when your ear tells you second is occurring - in my case due to the nearness of the drum rolling beans to that early sound of 2C.  Your experience may vary especially with a machine designed to allow in the home environment roasting.  And yes, first crack is a resounding statico pop, while second is definitly the sense of dry wood snapping rapidly, albeit quieter than 1st C.
Burner0000

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 6:01am

MerleApAmber Said:

I don't know about the odors a Behmor produces.

Posted April 29, 2013 link

The Behmor like any roaster has a good deal of odor because the afterburner is only getting rid of most of the smoke.  I use a fan pointing outside which gets rid of the smoke completely as well as 80-90% or the odor.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Venia_Coffee
Venia_Coffee
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Izzo Alex II HX
Grinder: Mahlkonig
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5D
Drip: Sowden
Roaster: Taehwan
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 7:06pm

Tyler,

It is very common for blends to be uneven in color from bean to bean.  Many things affect two different beans from having the same final color when roasted together under the same conditions and to the same drop time/temp.  Things like bean density, variety, sugar content, processing and age to name a few off the top of my head.  

Roast color variation is definitely more noticeable in lighter roast profiles where the woody structure of the bean has yet to carbonize (burn).  I would also say in general wet-hulled process coffees tend towards the most variation even within "Single Origin" lots.  In reality, most "Single Origin" lots are made up of multiple coffee varieties grown on multiple farms on multiple altitudes, so it is not uncommon to find color variation present in them.  

Keith
Venia Coffee
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > What is an even...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.323634147644)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+