Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Looking to move up from Freshroast 500, commercial or DIY roaster?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Looking to move...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Henrythewound

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 9:27am
Subject: Looking to move up from Freshroast 500, commercial or DIY roaster?

I have owned and used iRoast 1 &2 as well as the old Fresh Roast 300 and now the 500. Both iRoasts ended up with overheating problems and lately I feel like the 500 struggles to circulate the beans. I have to shake the roaster for the first several minutes into the roast to avoid badly uneven roasts. I feel like getting consistent roasts is pretty difficult with the 500 but maybe it's just me.

I'm ready for something new but am not completely enthused with the commercial roasters out there right now. According to Sweet Marias, air roasters are better for the lighter roasts I like and I have used most of the commercial air roasters out there and am unimpressed. I know the drum roasters like the 1600 and Hot Top get good reviews but they also cost a bunch of $$$. This leaves me wondering about DIY roasters. Are there any well-regarded plans out there I could follow to make an awesome hot air roaster or am I stuck with the current models? I am no electrical engineer but I can follow plans and don't mind putting in the time and learning along the way.

Any opinions? Best to stalk the used marketplace for a good deal? Branch out into DIY? Suggestions/ideas are appreciated

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
sversimo

Espresso: Izzo Vivi PID
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 12:17pm
Subject: Re: Looking to move up from Freshroast 500, commercial or DIY roaster?

DIY is a lot of fun! My project started out with an idea 3 years back and now I`m writhing my master thesis as a mechanical engineer about my roaster. But there are some things you should keep in mind, DIY requires tools, (some) knowledge and time..

Do you have a budget?
Henrythewound

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 8:55am

Well there is always a budget. If I had to spend $1000 to make a really nice DIY machine that would probably be out of the question. From what I've seen on the homeroasters.org page a really nice one can be built for about 1/2 that or less. Of course that assumes you have all the tools and know how to use them. I don't want to end up with a popcorn popper with circuit boards strapped to the sides but I don't want to have to contract with a machine shop either.

This thread was inspiring
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 2:40pm

You also have to look at how much coffee you plan on using a week. If you looking at 1-2 pounds or less, then I would look at a Behmor as a used one can go for as low as $100-$150. If your doing 5 pounds a week, then maybe a gas BBQ drum roaster DIY setup.
Henrythewound

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 9:15am

1-2 lbs is probably enough for home use. Right now I roast a batch or 2 in the FreshRoast 500 and run out in a couple days and have to roast again. With this method and my procrastination skills I never let the coffee rest like I probably should. Having looked around the last couple of days it appears there is a definite gap between entry level air roasters and up to 1# capacity sample roasters (that Us Roaster Corp roaster sounds awesome). To me there is the Behmor and the Hottop in this range and both are drum roasters. I like the lighter roasts and I hear air roasters are better for this in general (at least you want to be able to roast a batch in under 15 minutes)

I will keep an eye on the used market and will still think about DIY, I really like oldgearhead's DIY roaster I linked earlier
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 4:40am

Henrythewound Said:

1-2 lbs is probably enough for home use.
>snip<
I will keep an eye on the used market and will still think about DIY, I really like oldgearhead's DIY roaster I linked earlier

Posted April 25, 2013 link

Thank you.
The roaster is still going strong after 22 months. I average three 440 gram loads/week. I have had zero failures. However, even though
almost every part is a re-purposed item, it still cost a bit over 500 USD and I got some free labor from a very good machinist...

Why 440 gram loads? Because bigger loads won't fit in a one-quart Mason jar...
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Looking to move...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242565155029)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+