Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
KONA - Mediocre Taste - how do you know if it's technique or beans
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > KONA - Mediocre...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
darkman
darkman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: cuisinart em-200
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: bodum french press
Drip: bunn ht
Roaster: freshroast sr500
Posted Wed Jan 5, 2011, 4:28pm
Subject: Re: KONA - Mediocre Taste - how do you know if it's technique or beans

No problem, glad to help in any way.  I too am fairly new to roasting.  I can't say i've had a BAD roast yet, but I've definitely had some turn out better than others.  This was my second time roasting Kona, and I think next time i may even roast it a little lighter just to compare tastewise.  All in all i'm happy with the kona beans i recieved, they are very nice looking, and require little culling.  However, tastewise, i still like blue mountain better.  I also recently had some really good etiopian harrar from SM's that i like a little better too!
 View Profile Link to this post
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Jan 6, 2011, 9:58am

BoldJava Said:

He mentioned Kauai, not Maui.  I have never had a decent roast from Kauai.  The coffees last year from Maui Grown Green Coffee (Kannapali) http://www.mauigrowngreencoffee.com/ were excellent.  Hawaiian coffees are all different and each has its own merits:

^ Kona
^ Ka'u
^ Maui Mokka
^ Maui Yellow Caturra

B|Java

Posted January 5, 2011 link

yea I caught it later didnt edit it, the redundat part of Maui and Kaanapali was my tip off. Kauai is a new farm for modern times.
steamer
steamer

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Jan 6, 2011, 10:05am

BoldJava Said:

The coffees last year from Maui Grown Green Coffee (Kannapali) http://www.mauigrowngreencoffee.com/ were excellent.  
B|Java

I have about 5 pounds of Kannapali every year. I had some #13 beans, not to impressed but the Moka #16 were just perfect.
I had talked to Kimo years ago when he first started the rebuild of the land. I had coffee from the orginal farm sent to me over twenty years ago.
It is nice to have it all back. Ya need to work a deal again for some of the #16 beans.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Thu Jan 6, 2011, 10:11am

darkman Said:

..... total roast time was 15 min. first crack was about 8 min, and I stopped the roast at very first sign of second crack ............

7 minutes from start of first crack until finish is a loooonnngg finish. I would expect flat, (and wonder what the heater temp was doing in all that time).   8 minutes to first crack is a modest pace for air roasting. I would suggest you try finish times around 4 minutes, with a total range of 3-5 minutes.  Adjust heat according to roast degree you want to achieve. 3 minute finish for bright and snappy, towards 5 minutes tones down to flat.
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Thu Jan 6, 2011, 1:47pm

steamer Said:

I have about 5 pounds of Kannapali every year. I had some #13 beans, not to impressed but the Moka #16 were just perfect. . .

Posted January 6, 2011 link

Maui Grown Coffee uses #11 and #14s on their Mokka.  Catuai and Caturras run at the 15/16, I believe.  B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
earthena

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 11:31pm

Thank you BJava, I'm heading this weekend in the search for ^ Maui Mokka and
^ Maui Yellow Caturra
krivera1
krivera1

Espresso: Jura F9, Nuova Simonelli...
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario WCT
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Fri Mar 29, 2013, 9:42pm

I've been roasting the Maui Mokka 14 for several months now.  It is a very dense bean (these little gems are very heavy).  Extending the roast at a slightly lower temp will ensure heat penetration.  The density of these beans really require an extended resting period - a week is what we've come to expect.  If you don't rest them long enough you'll get a little harshness - they should be completely smooth tasting.  A slightly lighter roast will bring out the tropical flavor and expose the special nature of these beans.

Enjoy!
Buckley

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 7:02am

Be careful in evaluating your own as well as others' online pictures of roast coffee.  I have a fairly good nonprofessional digital camera with several preset choices for white balance as well as custom programmed white balance (Canon Powershot SD790IS) and I can never get an accurate picture of my roast beans under any lighting conditions in terms of color temperature (red-yellow-neutral-blue) (hue) and darkness/brightness.  Add to that the adjustment of someone else's computer's display screen and there is very little reliable information coming through except possibly for uniformity of appearance and the presence or absence of oil spots on the surfaces of beans.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > KONA - Mediocre...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.321419000626)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+