Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Suggestions for upgrading from i-Roast 2
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Suggestions for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
auntkitten

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 Rossini...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Roaster: i-Roast 2
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 9:55am
Subject: Suggestions for upgrading from i-Roast 2

I have been home roasting for six years with an i-Roast 2 purchased from Sweet Maria's. It's held up great so far, only having to replace the glass once for a hair line crack around the top. The roast capacity is what I'd like to increase. Small batches are fine, as I'm usually roasting for two people (sometimes more for the obligatory give-away to friends and family).

Living in the US south allows me roasting access outdoors year round.  I can roast in the garage during inclement weather. Taste preference is FC+ to Vienna, depending on bean of course. I live with someone who doesn't like the smell of roasted coffee in the house (but loves drinking it) so have to take that into consideration.

Looking at the SM excellent site information regarding roasters, I think the Behmor might be a good next step. Although using recorded profiles, I roast mainly by sight, sound and smell, so am slightly intimidated by drum roasters.

Am I headed in the right direction?
 View Profile Link to this post
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 10:09am
Subject: Re: Suggestions for upgrading from i-Roast 2

From what you've said, it sounds like the Behmor is your best upgrade. I mostly roast by sight and sound on mine and I have no problems whatsoever, even with the different profiles. It'll also allow you to increase roasting capacity up to 1lb. No other roaster under $1,000 will let you do that. It produces little smoke and the smell isn't too bad, especially if you're roasting outdoors. It's certainly a worthy investment.
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 12:27pm

While sight, sound and smell are useful, the Behmor manual provides you with a more workable benchmark:  It suggests that 'completion' of the roast can be timed starting with the first few snaps of the 1CR.

I do 10 oz roasts and I conclude the roast (go to cool) roughly 3 min after the onset of the 1CR.

Each variety and bean is different, so it might take 2 roasts to 'get it right'.  Sometimes it is 2:30 min and sometimes 3:15 min.  My first roast of decaf Donkey Blend from Sweet Maria's was 3:06 and just at the edge of the 2CR and it was just right:  dark brown with a slight oil sheen and I would grade it FC++ (or Vienna --).

This benchmark is well-hidden in the manual but it really works, even with beans where the 1CR is sparse and/or there is no dead-spot between the 1CR and 2CR.

Jerry
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 4:28am

Yes, Jerry made a huge point, decaf is different. I roast with a heat-reclaiming, fluid-bed roaster, not a Behmor but If I use the same profile as a high-grown mild for a high-grown mild decaf the result is usually way beyond French.
auntkitten

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 Rossini...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Roaster: i-Roast 2
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 9:49pm

Thanks for your advice. I roast mostly single origins from Sweet Maria, but the best all-around for me is Monkey Blend. Have yet to roast a decaf in all these years. Maybe with the new Behmor I will be tempted.
earthena

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 11:43am

The Behmor 1600 is the one you are looking at?  I'm curious to learn how this goes as I'm going to be in the market for a home roaster.
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 6:16am

In it's price range, the Behmor is an obvious choice.
There are some unfortunate limitations regarding tight control over the roasting process but there are some work-arounds for this.
I've been quite satisfied with mine and their customer support is excellent.

If your budget is > $500 you could consider a Gene Café Roast or Hot Top but neither allows you to roast more than about 1/2 lb at a time (which for me is a deal killer). Also, they produce much more smoke (if I'm not mistaken).
Dooglas
Dooglas

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior
Grinder: Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Sun May 12, 2013, 8:11am

BarryR Said:

If your budget is > $500 you could consider a Gene Café Roast or Hot Top but neither allows you to roast more than about 1/2 lb at a time (which for me is a deal killer). Also, they produce much more smoke (if I'm not mistaken).

Posted May 11, 2013 link

On this one point, you are mistaken in my experience. The Behmor is a good roaster and I recommend it. On the other hand the larger quantities of coffee involved defintely produce a significant amount of smoke. I use mine only in my garage. My Gene Cafe, on the other hand, I successfully use in the kitchen under the stovetop vent fan. In fairness, I typically roast only to FC/FC+ so that may be a factor - but that is true of my use of both machines. The GC also has an optional chafe filter which allows connecting a section of flexible ducting to vent the machine out a window. I have been using a GC for more than 6 years with good results and find it to have great adjustability and good visibility of the beans while roasting. In my experience, both the Behmor and the GC have good customer support.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Suggestions for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.309108972549)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+