Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
smoke and smell concern
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > smoke and smell...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 10:35am
Subject: Re: smoke and smell concern

mbrock Said:

hey everyone. i am ready to get into home roasting but i am trying to determine if i am crazy for attempting it. i live in a condo unit with no garage. i know it is probably ideal to roast in a garage because of smoke and smell. do any of you roast indoors with either the behmor 1600 or the freshroast sr500? I am not as concerned about batch size as I am about smoke. also, how bad is the smell? does it linger?

Posted March 3, 2013 link

Is a ducks ass water tight...yeah it stinks, stinks out the room and even if you have external extraction, you get a lot of smoke. I would not roast in the house, flat whatever. I roast outside.
 View Profile Link to this post
mbrock

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 11:14am

DavecUK Said:

Is a ducks ass water tight...yeah it stinks, stinks out the room and even if you have external extraction, you get a lot of smoke. I would not roast in the house, flat whatever. I roast outside.

Posted March 5, 2013 link

Yeah I am going to start outside. do you find it harder to control the roast variables since the outside temp is one variable you can't control?
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 11:27am

I roast in the basement (and previously in my old apartment) with my Gene-Cafe.  It has the chaff remover built-in, and connects to a 3" dryer hose that I can hang out the window to get rid of the smoke.  This was my main reason for choosing this roaster, and it's worked well.
MatP

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Macap MXP
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 11:31am

mbrock Said:

Yeah I am going to start outside. do you find it harder to control the roast variables since the outside temp is one variable you can't control?

Just pre-heat the roaster before adding the coffee. With the Behmor, you can run it for less than a minute without having to cool it down. It get plenty hot in 30 / 40 seconds, and it should offset the changing ambient temp.

MatP
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 12:49pm

mbrock Said:

I'm considering it another "interesting variable" in a constellation of them... with a HotTop I've still got sufficient overhead to work at 45F tested - but it does make it interesting to adjust drift into first crack and electric heating coil reserve/lag when I want to start the drive toward 2nd and drop.

But I do have fond memories of indoor lab grade exhaust enclosures where -  with a little adjustment laminar flow can be brought through the front opening and fumes can be safely transported out. I have to hope it's achievable - it gets cold outside some days and coffee is a harsh mistress when you don't listen to her muse call.
kschendel

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 1:43pm

I roast indoors with an SR500, but not anywhere near a smoke detector.  The smell mostly stays in the basement and I don't mind it, nor does my wife unless I do 3 or 4 roast back-to-back (unusual).

If you have a room with a window and door with no smoke detector in it, you might try roasting in there with the smaller batch roasters such as the SR500.  For anything larger, and especially with the Behmor, I think you'd need to either actively vent outside or roast outside.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > smoke and smell...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.275730848312)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+