Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Affordable Home Roaster/DIY Home roaster build
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Affordable Home...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
cambrew88

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 1:48pm
Subject: Affordable Home Roaster/DIY Home roaster build

Hey folks!
New to the forum and relatively new to home roasting, well very new I suppose. I have been doing it for about 7 months now with a whirley pop. I have had great results and I love using the Whirley Pop, however a lot of friends and family are asking to buy my coffee. I have also had several businesses ask to buy and serve at their restaurants. I am in a pickle, I am a college student with a very strict budget. I need to upgrade from the whirley pop, just far too time consuming. I am on the market for a 2-4 pound roaster. I cannot pay much (I cannot spend more than $1000). I am also open to the idea of building my own which I know absolutely nothing about. I am open to all ideas! I have looked at several models on eBay and I like a few, however I have read mixed reviews. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also, does anyone have any advice on where to begin in the area of buying beans directly from farmers? Don't get me wrong, I love Sweet Marias and buying from various people on eBay, however, I would love a more cost efficient way of going about this. Thanks so much for the help!
 View Profile Link to this post
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 2:41pm
Subject: Re: Affordable Home Roaster/DIY Home roaster build

The only reliable answer I can offer is a propane grill with a basket. I believe all the 120V turbo oven choices are about four kilowatts short of enough heat to do your job..
Home built - This one can roast one pound in 13 minutes, and two pounds in 45 minutes including cooling and clean up. Its material cost was $512.00:
Click Here (www.homeroasters.org)
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 2:48pm

+1 HRO.org is the place to go if you are looking to build a home roaster. oldgearhead's roaster is awesome! :)

I can roast in the Behmor back to back (1lb roasts) If I allow 15min+ for the machine to cool. I would also have to do a dry burn to clean every 5 roasts.  That sounds like a good business importunity.  If you don't end up building I would consider leasing or financing a commercial roaster or looking into an RK bbq set up if you have the place for it to set up. HRO.org has info on that too.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 6:29pm

another question, where are you planing on doing your roasting at. larger batches = more smoke.make sure you have good ventilation and if you are planning to sell beans officially (not on the sly) to restaurants make shure your up to building and health code standards. Here's a few pics of my behmor station. takes about 30 min to roast 2 lb(if needed) with cooling and bagging and can roast back to back (one cooling one roasting) total cost around $800.00 with jars,vac sealer, old fridge,timer,roast logs,ect. this will do until I can afford a probat or something of the like. I dont sell beans but do give alot away.people ask on a daily basis to buy.

kboom1: DSCF0059 (FILEminimizer).JPG
(Click for larger image)
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 6:31pm

another pic, I direct wired a 20a breaker with a 15a receptical for my beamers. using a killawatt meter  neither roaster drops below 119v.

kboom1: DSCF0057 (FILEminimizer).JPG
(Click for larger image)
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 6:32pm

bean storage

kboom1: DSCF0060 (FILEminimizer).JPG
(Click for larger image)
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 6:36pm

and a place to store scales, empty jars, bags,roast logs,cleaning equip,ect,.... you get the Idea.

kboom1: DSCF0062 (FILEminimizer).JPG
(Click for larger image)
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 6:46am

..and some locations require an 'inspected' commercial kitchen..
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 8:38am

before I started to roast my own, I met up with Tony the owner of Caffè Fresco in Port Griffith, PA and he told me about some of the problems he has had with some of the competition in the area.Make sure if they come to inspect your up to code beforehand.
cambrew88

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 8:54am

Thanks for the advice. I have been in touch with the Ag. Commissioner down here and since I will have no food or anything, I won't have to be inspected by a health inspector, just the Ag. inspector. I have to get a business license as well. Would you advise potentially trying to find a drum roaster on ebay (finding one for under a few thousand would be tough) or buying a Behmor brand new? How much can you roast per hour in one? Thanks again!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Affordable Home...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.286978960037)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+