Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
New 230V Quest M3, drum temperature, ET and BT, vs commercial drum roasters?
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New 230V Quest...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
henrikc

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Vivi
Grinder: Mazzer Mini B
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 4:03am
Subject: New 230V Quest M3, drum temperature, ET and BT, vs commercial drum roasters?

Hi,
I am roasting Brazilian Fazenda Rainha for espresso to get to know my new M3 better.
Made a test today during pre heating, in an attempt to see  the temperature versus amps in the empty roaster.

This M3 was just received from Taiwan, and different to what I have read of the roaster, mine runs the fan with a gentle draft even when the fan setting is on 0.
During a roast, so much draft indeed, that I do not find it necessary to increase the fan speed to get the chaff out of the drum, as it collects nicely in the filter chamber on the minimum setting.

@ 3,50 A, the BT thermocouple settles around 195 C (383 F),
while the drum temp measured with an infrared thermometer through the (quickly opened and closed) bean exit reach around 240 C (464 F)
@ 3,75 A, the BT shows 213 C (415 F) while the drum is around 265 C (509 F)
@ 4,00 A, BT shows 230 C (446 F), drum 300 C (572 F)

With the fan on zero, the ET shows 7 to 10 deg C (47 F) lower than the BT in the empty roaster!
If I remove the fan action by opening the cooler lid, @ 3,00 A, temperatures find an equilibrium for BT at 216 C and ET at 228, while the drum is around 280 C.

Measurements with thermocouples are made with two Victor 86C DMMs and the supplied type K thermocouples located in an open end 4mm thin walled brass thermowell l some 50 mm into the drum from the front flange back side through the pre drilled holes. (They show less than degree difference when measuring the same temperature.)

I wonder how the relation between drum and ET  compares to full size drum roasters and commercial sample roasters?
Do the full size roasters draw cold air into the drum too, or are there means to pre heat the draft?

To give an idea of a roast diagram, I include the 200 g batch roasted after the temperature test above, beans were loaded at about 195 deg C while the drum was 238 C: power 4 A to 180 C, then 3 A to end of roast; fan on min. as suggested in the new 230V manual for an "advanced roast"
1.Cs  8:16 186.3 C (367 F)
1.Ce 10:20 198.2 C (389 F)
SCs 12:59 206.4 C (404 F)
End 13:21 207.5 C (406 F)
I trust I see slight tipping....is this bean prone to this?

Looking forward to your answers and comments also to the somewhat awkward ET shown......
Thanks
Henrik

henrikc: Brazilian Fazenda Rainha 200g batch res3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 6:43am
Subject: Re: New 230V Quest M3, drum temperature, ET and BT, vs commercial drum roasters?

Even if your voltage was a full 240, that's only 1100 VA. I would have expected a lot more heat for my money.
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 6:59am
Subject: Re: New 230V Quest M3, drum temperature, ET and BT, vs commercial drum roasters?

My Diedrich 1kg machine bring takes air into the drum from the roasting chamber so it is pre heated, the larger models have heat syncs to further preheat the intake. My machine weighs 130lbs so has a lot of thermal mass that needs a 30 min warm up especially in colder temps.

Here is a post at HB Click Here (www.home-barista.com) there are many posts and users of the Quest at HB.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > New 230V Quest...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.230754852295)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+