Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Behmor 1600 odor reduction
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor 1600 odor...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
chummy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 6:01pm
Subject: Behmor 1600 odor reduction

Would it be possible to use a Behmor 1600 in a large apartment if I roasted in a separate room, put towels under the doors, had two windows open, and used a fan to blow the smoke out? I don't want the smell to fill the hall or anything like that.

Are there any other ideas?

Does anyone have experience with negative ion generators?
 View Profile Link to this post
BarryR

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 7:00pm
Subject: Re: Behmor 1600 odor reduction

I think you'd be fine if you're near an exhaust fan (even if it's just the kind that is put in the window) as long as you have reasonable air flow to the outside.

I roast under a powerful vent hood that vents to the outside and if I don't go much past onset of 2C there is very minimal smoke or odor.
If I over roast and end up opening the Behmor door to cool down quicker, then things get a little smoky and a little smelly (though it's still fairly mild).
Perhaps someone who's situation is closer to yours will comment.
gimpy

Espresso: Old repaired Starbucks...
Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: the AeroPress, Clever Coffee...
Roaster: Behmor 1600 replaces (still...
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 7:38pm

I don't roast often indoors, only when wife is out of town for a few days. My Behmor does not put out much visual smoke, but it does put out odor.

Something to possibly be aware of is, every time I roast indoors (even in the attached garage), the smoke detector does go off. Every time.

Frank, "Still the one"
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:25pm

I chose the more expensive Gene-Cafe over the Behmor because of the ability to connect a dryer vent hose to the chaff collector and vent almost all of the smoke and odor outside.  This was after roasting (very small batches) in a popper for a few months on top of a stove with a very weak exhaust vent and stinking up the apartment and narrowly avoiding setting the smoke alarms off.

There are other compromises with the GC (cooling, batch size) but the odor control was most important to me at the time.  Just throwing this out there as another option to consider.
chummy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 1:13pm

Would anyone think it was crazy/dangerous to mount two of AC brackets (like these: Click Here (www.amazon.com)) outside my window? I would have them slanted up and then simply put the Behmor on them when I want to roast. With the window closed, I likely wouldn't be able to hear the cracks, but I think I could get roast levels reasonably close to what I want by recording times, temperatures, and humidity.

Unfortunately I don't have an exhaust hood in my apartment and it looks like it would be difficult to construct something that would get all of the odor from the Behmor's exhaust.
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 2:47pm

Check out this Behmor vent hack I found on Flickr:

Vent hack ii | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 5:36pm

chummy Said:

Would anyone think it was crazy/dangerous to mount two of AC brackets (like these: Click Here (www.amazon.com)) outside my window? I would have them slanted up and then simply put the Behmor on them when I want to roast. With the window closed, I likely wouldn't be able to hear the cracks, but I think I could get roast levels reasonably close to what I want by recording times, temperatures, and humidity.

Unfortunately I don't have an exhaust hood in my apartment and it looks like it would be difficult to construct something that would get all of the odor from the Behmor's exhaust.

Posted January 29, 2013 link

You want to be up close & personal when you roast. You must be able to hear it to know what's going on. Outside Temp and humidity are not what's crucial. Internal temperature (inside the roaster) is useful but requires modifications and you'd still want to hear it.

The venting system on Flickr could work. I'm guessing there should actually be an exhaust fan on the other end of it though to create the right flow and prevent drag on the Behmor exhaust system.

PS: I've never set off a smoke alarm with the Behmor, so I guess venting is key and the reason I have little odor.
Snaxx

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 7:41pm

For about the same price as one of the two brackets you figured to use, you could do much better by getting a window fan to mount in the open window and provide smoke exhaust that way.  Here's one site to give you info on some mid-priced choices, but there are cheaper one that will do the job if you want to spend less.  

http://www.bestcovery.com/best-window-fan

As BarryR said, you want to be with the roaster when it's doing it's thing.  With you being in Toronto, trying to roast during cold winter temps with the roaster hanging outside would likely affect the results, with you struggling to match the results of an initial roast to subsequent roasts, as well as creating a difficult situation for operating your roaster.  No sense creating a roasting station that is difficult to use and without enjoyment that personal, hands-on, up close roasting brings.

Ken
MonkeyK

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Aeropress, Bunn Phase Brew
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 8:48pm

]I have my Behmor in a mini wind tunnel like this:
Click Here (i436.photobucket.com)
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 6:40am

I have been roasting with my Behmor in front of an open window and a $20 fan on the window sill facing out to suck out the smoke. I also roast in a seperate room and I just need to close the door to prevent sticking up my apt.  This method keeps all of the smell and smoke in the room.  I'd like to try the Flikir vent picture idea.  I know ebay sells vent fans for cheap. :)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor 1600 odor...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279078006744)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+