Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Hottop v. Behmor
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop v. Behmor  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 11 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BLrdFX
BLrdFX
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 6:53am
Subject: Re: Hottop v. Behmor

Endo Said:

Love the Quest. Extremely high quality and robust design.

If you are feeling lazy,, you can just set it to one amperage and fan setting and pull the roast when the bean temp gets to 210F on the gauge. Or, you can tweak the power and fan to your heart's content. Very easy to add thermocouples and watch things like delta BT if that's your thing.

Small batch size was a worry at first, but I now see I prefer small 190g batch sizes (mason jar size) of several bean varieties over one big batch.

Only about $200 more than the HT, but well worth the extra $ (IMO). Looks better on the counter too, although sometimes friends ask what the "hampster wheel" is for. :-)

Posted December 21, 2012 link

Thanks for the input!  I too like the look of the Quest, and for that matter the Hottop, both seem to have that mechanical Steam Punk appearance like something you would find on Capt. Nemo's Nautilus.  The Behmor has certain likable aspects, like having USA Customer Support if that becomes an issue, and you could store bread in it when not roasting :-)

The reference to a hampster wheel is pretty funny!!

Thanks again,
Stephen
 View Profile Link to this post
bucko

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 7:12am

Ok. I will check further again before I pick the B or P.

On a lighter note. In my part of the world, Dec 21 is almost past. So I can tell you the world is still here from this side.no fear.....keep on roasting!
gregpullman
gregpullman

Espresso: Expobar Minore III
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Roaster: Hottop B&P, redundant Gene...
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 7:36am

bucko Said:

Thanks for the quick reply. But can't I change the program settings after starting a roast on the P? I thought you can overide them and even save the new changes after the roast is completed. Maybe I read this wrong.

Anyway, I wanted to do the PC mod with the HTC boards and have total control over the whole process. I thought this was only possible with the P model. Can it be done with the B?

Thanks

With the P the only thing you can change is the setpoint of the active segment. Nothing else relating to that segment can be changed i.e. fan speed or duration. With the P you set up a program upfront and pretty much sit back and let it do its thing. With the B you control fan speed and heater power throughout the whole roast. As has been mentioned, the P's heater power is simply on 100% or off, whereas with the B you have 10 different levels which give true proportional control, i.e. you select 60% and it gives you 60% continuous (it actually chops out a section of the mains sine wave to achieve this so is true partial power), and of course can adjust the fan speed at any time. With the B, disregard the terminology 'target time' and 'target temperature'; the B controller isn't aiming for anything as 'target' suggests (unlike the P); call them 'auto-eject time' and 'auto-eject temperature' because that's their only function. I set them both for max which is never reached so I can eject when I'm ready.

I think of the B as a manual or semi-automatic espresso machine, while the P is a superauto machine. The B is capable of better results in my view, so long as you're prepared to put a 'little' extra effort into driving the thing during the roast.

HTH,
Greg

P.S. Now 1am 22 Dec in Adelaide, Australia and life is very much normal (except I'm still awake!)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 5:30pm

I'll say that the effort needed for a B roast is simple. I do exactly what Greg details with setting temp and time to max. From there, I make adjustments to speed up or slow down the roast. I've had excellent results with it!
bucko

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 6:56pm

I got it now. I'll go with the B for sure. (Now I got to find a better price than $1300 for it!) Maybe I'll just go to Taiwan myself......1.5 hr flight.
Thanks again.
Sam21

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 7:45pm

bucko Said:

I got it now. I'll go with the B for sure. (Now I got to find a better price than $1300 for it!) Maybe I'll just go to Taiwan myself......1.5 hr flight.
Thanks again.

$1,300? Is it really that expensive?
bucko

Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012, 1:07am

Sam21 Said:

$1,300? Is it really that expensive?

Yep. That's China for ya. 20% duty on imported electronics. I can go to HK and save, but I have to carry it back.
Sam21

Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012, 8:01am

bucko Said:

Yep. That's China for ya. 20% duty on imported electronics. I can go to HK and save, but I have to carry it back.

Posted December 22, 2012 link

Ouch! So the Quest would be almost $1,500. Solid chunk of change!!
Gundy

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 8:16pm

Hi Everyone,

Currently considering upgrading a Behmor to a HotTop B.  Reason is because I want more control.  More specifically shorter roast times (in the 14-16 minute range).

I roast 8 oz batches and like them just short of second crack which which tends to be 2 to 2 1/2 minutes from start of first crack for me.

On a Behmor @ P1, roast curve goes straight up and I usually get ~14 minute roast times on 8 oz.  Great but I don't want a rocket for my roast curve.
Using P3/P4, better curve but roast times for what I'm trying to achieve on 8 oz tend to be in the 19 to 22 minute range.  That seams too long (baked).

- What are the average roast times on a HotTop?  
- Is anyone using a Behmor and getting shorter roast times than 19-22 minutes with P3/P4
- For those that have had Behmor and HotTop, did you find one to produce better roasts over the other?
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 8:42pm

Hi Everyone,

Currently considering upgrading a Behmor to a HotTop B.  Reason is because I want more control.  More specifically shorter roast times (in the 14-16 minute range).
8 oz roasts in the Behmor should take less than 15 minutes in all cases.  Your voltage might be low.
Does the Hottop have the ability to work past low voltage?

I roast 8 oz batches and like them just short of second crack which which tends to be 2 to 2 1/2 minutes from start of first crack for me.
Try opening the door for 10 seconds after 1C is humming along.  Maybe a second time as well.  That will extend 1C.

On a Behmor @ P1, roast curve goes straight up and I usually get ~14 minute roast times on 8 oz.  Great but I don't want a rocket for my roast curve.
Using P3/P4, better curve but roast times for what I'm trying to achieve on 8 oz tend to be in the 19 to 22 minute range.  That seems too long (baked).
Why not use P2?  Determine when 1C kicks in for the bean you're using and adjust the parameters so that the power shift to 65% starts a little after that point.

- What are the average roast times on a HotTop?  
- Is anyone using a Behmor and getting shorter roast times than 19-22 minutes with P3/P4
- For those that have had Behmor and HotTop, did you find one to produce better roasts over the other?

LMWDP # 010
showing page 11 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop v. Behmor  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.386109113693)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+