Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Hottop v. Behmor
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop v. Behmor  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 10 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dorkroast
dorkroast
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 4:44pm
Subject: Re: Hottop v. Behmor

Im looking to purchase a higher priced roaster and have been debating whether I would buy a Quest or a Hottop if I were to drop $1K for a roaster.

I know this thread started with Behmor vs Hottop....but over the years I think many of us have made a decision one way or the other on that topic....Now I'm more curious if my 1K would be better spent on a Quest or a Hottop.....or if I should stick with a Behmor....
 View Profile Link to this post
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 5:50pm

dorkroast Said:

Im looking to purchase a higher priced roaster and have been debating whether I would buy a Quest or a Hottop if I were to drop $1K for a roaster.

I know this thread started with Behmor vs Hottop....but over the years I think many of us have made a decision one way or the other on that topic....Now I'm more curious if my 1K would be better spent on a Quest or a Hottop.....or if I should stick with a Behmor....

Posted December 20, 2012 link

I think that they are two very different machines. The Hottop appears to be a little more home friendly, while the quest is more of a mini sample roaster. I think you need to weigh the pros and cons of both. Also, a Hottop B will run just a touch over 800 while the Quest is around $1,200 I believe.
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 6:26pm

Sam21 Said:

I think that they are two very different machines. The Hottop appears to be a little more home friendly, while the quest is more of a mini sample roaster. I think you need to weigh the pros and cons of both. Also, a Hottop B will run just a touch over 800 while the Quest is around $1,200 I believe.

Good points!  I like the features of the Hottop but I have seen very little about the cleaning of the chaff between roasts.  How easy, or difficult, is it?
Sam21

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 7:04pm

BLrdFX Said:

Good points!  I like the features of the Hottop but I have seen very little about the cleaning of the chaff between roasts.  How easy, or difficult, is it?

I remove the tray and dump in the garbage. I personall only roast one batch per session so I remove the faceplate after emptying the tray and blow a few times. That's all there is to it. Naturally, it makes a mess at times around the flow if there is the lightest breeze, but that's roasting!

You'll get a bean or two that wedge themselves in the agitation fins as well. I use a knife to poke them out, but they cause no issues. I believe that folks who do back to back batches after a cool down just empty the chaff tray and blow a few times.

Either way, chaff is messy. Roasting is not clean, but the Hottop does its job decently in the chaff department.
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 7:31pm

Sam21 Said:

Naturally, it makes a mess at times around the flow if there is the lightest breeze, but that's roasting!
Either way, chaff is messy. Roasting is not clean, but the Hottop does its job decently in the chaff department.

Thanks for the insight!  I assume that you roast outside?  What about roasting with it inside with a strong exhaust hood with two 700cfm fans with independent motors vented to the outside???   Under this hood??  Or I could just get a Behmor and roast with it sitting on top of the stove under the hood.  Might make sense since the stove is a fireproof surface as is the granite around the stove.

BLrdFX: 87528_14.jpg
(Click for larger image)
bucko

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 2:31am

I've done my homework, and I will be buying a Hottop soon.
That said, I am curious why everyone likes the "B" over the "P" model? I was leaning towards the "P" model and using RoastLogger with it.

What am I missing with B over P? Please help.
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 3:48am

BLrdFX Said:

Don't you have a Quest as well?  How do the Hottop & Behmor stack up against it?

Posted December 17, 2012 link

Love the Quest. Extremely high quality and robust design.

If you are feeling lazy,, you can just set it to one amperage and fan setting and pull the roast when the bean temp gets to 210C on the gauge. Or, you can tweak the power and fan to your heart's content. Very easy to add thermocouples and watch things like delta BT if that's your thing.

Small batch size was a worry at first, but I now see I prefer small 190g batch sizes (mason jar size) of several bean varieties over one big batch.

Only about $200 more than the HT, but well worth the extra $ (IMO). Looks better on the counter too, although sometimes friends ask what the "hampster wheel" is for. :-)
Sam21

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 4:34am

The Hottop B allows for use control over fam and power. The P is programmable, so once you hit start its off to te races with the program you set.

The Quest will allow more user input than the Hottop B, but both will do their job. Ultimately, you have to ask yourself what your wish list is. I will say that Hottop ha EXCELLENT customer service. I'm not saying that Quest does not, but won't comment just because I don't have experience with them. I have heard of users trading emails with the company though.

As for roasting location, I roast in my kitchen about a foot from a window and run a cheap 20 dollar two fan window fan. Handles the smoke and smell without issue. You'll get a residual smell that reminds me of baking bread, but its gone in 10-15 min for me if I leave the room and come back later.
bucko

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 5:14am

Thanks for the quick reply. But can't I change the program settings after starting a roast on the P? I thought you can overide them and even save the new changes after the roast is completed. Maybe I read this wrong.

Anyway, I wanted to do the PC mod with the HTC boards and have total control over the whole process. I thought this was only possible with the P model. Can it be done with the B?

Thanks
Sam21

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 5:18am

I believe that you can alter the time of the segments of the P program, but from what I understand of the heating profiles, the heater operates on an all or nothing equation. It will turn on and off to hit the temperature and maintain it. I could be COMPLETELY wrong, but when I was researching roasters over a year ago, I read something like that.

Not sure about the PC mod with the P and B.
showing page 10 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Hottop v. Behmor  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.363834857941)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+