Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Behmor and Thermocouple
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Oriondriver

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Magic Comfort+
Grinder: Cuisinart Burr Grinder
Vac Pot: Cory Vintage
Drip: Cuisinart Grind and Brew
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 7:22am
Subject: Behmor and Thermocouple

Greetings all... let me start by saying that I am brand new to this obsession and already hooked... as a long time homebrewer it was a natural evolution to get into coffee roasting... much like homebrewing I love the art and science behind coffee roasting and being a Type A, OCD kind of person I am driven by tracking measurements and statistics.... hence my questions...

I have spent a couple of days scouring the internet for ideas on how to best add the ability of tracking temperature in my new Behmor 1600.. which I already love... I have only done about a dozen roasts so far but the coffee has been really good and now I want to better understand what is going on so I can understand the nuances to taking good coffee to great coffee.... so...

1. What is the best method for adding temperature tracking to Behmor 1600?
  2. The K Type Thermocouple seems to fit the bill... what is everyone using?
  3. What is the best location for thermocouple?
  4. Are you using a logging system? Are you doing it manually?
  5. Do you use an app or software program to document your roast history?

Thanks in advance for any assistance is helping me passify my OCD tendencies...

Oriondriver
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 9:33am
Subject: Re: Behmor and Thermocouple

Welcome to the forum ...!!

Temperature tracking in the Behmor is difficult because it's VERY hard to fish a thermocouple into the drum.  However, maybe I'm 'over thinking' the problem; there might be good value to measuring the temperature of the exhaust air (square) duct through one of the holes on the top rear.  It would not be the real bean temperature but the ups-and-downs would be proportional.

On my previous roaster I used a type K thermocouple.  It is in the right range and there is a large variety of them at low cost.

At the time I used a TENMA model 72-7712 purchased on sale from MCM Electronics look here.  It is a thermocouple reader but it is also a flexible data logger.

The App Software I use is Roastmaster for the iPad (or iPhone or iPod Touch) made by Rainfrog, look here.  It is an exceptional piece of software that lets you track your roasting process and also minds your greens inventory.  

In Ver. 4, Danny Hall has provided a 'solution' for those who want to see both the appropriate Behmor profile ...and also temperature profiles.  He does it with 'Phidgets' PC on a board and WiFi and it is not cheap.  OTOH, if you have a yen to do a bit of programming as a learning experience (or you know how to do it already) it might be just right for you.  

However, bear in mind that the Behmor is a 'simple roaster' without much adjustability.  I do not need the extra expense and complication ...to produce a good roast.  

Nevertheless, remember:  Here in Coffee Geekdom we do all kinds of experiments that seem unlikely at first but end up advancing the art and science of making good coffee.  So if you are interested, jump in ...and don't forget to post your results.

Jerry
Oriondriver

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:07am

Thanks for the quick response... couple of thoughts....

1. I already had my eye on Roastmaster... even contacted the owner about option to convert to Android... not going to happen... so now I have an excuse to buy an iPad Mini... :-)
  2. Initial thoughts... getting the TC in the right spot will add more precision....
        a. Has anyone tried to drill out the end of the drum and insert a TC probe such that the drum spins around the TC which resides stationary in the middle of the drum?
        b. Would it better to drill a hole in the side of the Chaff Tray and insert a probe that would be suspended under the drum but protected from direct heat from the heating elements?

Thoughts?
efilive

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II
Grinder: Macap M4D/Rocky...
Drip: capresso aroma...
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 10:59am

A couple of people have done the hole in the drum mod. It's hard to say if it's possible to get meaningful information from a thermocouple  in a Behmor. I've done 100 roasts or so with 2 thermocouples in place as have a number of my users. it certainly makes roasting more interesting and has helped me better understand the roast cycle and get more consistent roasts. If you've a PC, I also have software for coffee roasting.

Ira

The guy who wrote RoasterThing
www.RoasterThing.com
Oriondriver

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 11:11am

Thanks Ira... been playing around with RT... couple of questions...

1. Where do you place your TCs in Behmor?
  2. I assume the TCs plug into the logging box?
  3. Then the box into a PC?
  4. Then info during a roast is automatically logged in RT?

Thanks!
efilive

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II
Grinder: Macap M4D/Rocky...
Drip: capresso aroma...
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 10:32pm

1. I have one hooked over the left edge of the old style chaff tray and one on the bottom just under the edge of the chaff tray.

2. Yes, there is a place for 2 thermocouples.

3. Into a USB port

4. Yes, the temperatures are displayed and logged. I believe if you look at some of the last roasts in the sample data you can see some of the logged roasts I did.

I've covered my chaff tray with foil to try and keep the heat in. Cut the roast time by over a minute.  I struggle a lot with consistency and so I  have recently started pre-heating till the machine won't re-start and then putting the beans in quickly at the instant it will start again. When I try to pre-heat till it will just start I fail too often.

Ira

The guy who wrote RoasterThing
www.RoasterThing.com
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 5:26pm

I use RoasterThing and thermocouples to monitor my roasts.  One thermocouple is mounted just below the bottom heating element, with the wire run under the chaff tray that allows me to get a bead on the max heat output.  For the longest time I just left the other thermocouple on my desk measuring outside air temp, but that's pretty boring so I recently stuck it in the vent of my Behmor to see what information I could get.

The exhaust fan doesn't run on the Behmor for five to seven or so minutes depending on the load size, but once it does, you start getting readings of the exhaust temps.  While I've only done maybe a dozen or so roasts with the thermocouple lazily stuck in the vent, the exhaust temp seems to be more directly proportional to bean temps than my other probe and for 1/2 # batch sizes most of the roasts hit first crack when this temp probe crosses 300F.

I chose this location because it's very easy to use, no mods needed, and it seems to provide some useful feedback.

yakster: ExhaustThermocouple.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rarebear
rarebear
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Fiorenzata Bricoletta
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: Yama 8C
Roaster: Hot Top B2
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 12:28am

I have a Roaster Thing Interface board for sale if I can find it..
Make me an offer..
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 1:35pm

I know a K-type probe fit's under the front door of the roaster.  Has anyone tried placing the probe under the drum close to or possibly touching the drum?  That's almost direct contact with the beans. Some thermal tape should hold it in place.  It would at least give drum temp.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
beananimal

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Bezerra Unica
Grinder: HG-one, Vario Home
Posted Mon Dec 30, 2013, 4:39pm
Subject: Re: Behmor and Thermocouple placement in the drum

Hello, I have read here at CG a lot and here somehow understood the profiles used.
Now I would like to give something back. If there is still interest in getting the bean temperature in the  Behmor drum, I think I can help (the thread has been sleeping since a while).

I have found a version with limited effort that works for me very well. At least for those who have already drilled a hole in the axis it is very easy. It is based on a large radius bend of a thin tube and using some flexibility of it. I would recommend it only for larger batch sizes as the blades may damage the probe.

I have roasted 330g batches and have logged the temperature but it seems that I can upload only one picture.

Peter

beananimal: Probe-in-yellow-beans_DSC06851-1.JPG
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Behmor and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.304718971252)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+