Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
roasting coffee with raw brown sugar?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > roasting coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Snaxx

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Fri Mar 16, 2012, 7:52pm
Subject: Re: roasting coffee with raw brown sugar?

A few years ago, not long after I began home roasting, I was listening to NPR's Splendid Table, and someone asked about Spanish Coffee, saying they had had some in Spain and thought it was interesting and different.   As I recall from that piece, it was explained that Spanish Coffee was made with green beans which were sprayed with sugar water before roasting.  I tried experimenting a bit with this process, but since I wasn't yet a very skilled coffee roaster and the whole sugar spray process wasn't described very well, the results from those attempts were just OK.  

Here is a link that I found that goes into some detail about Spanish Coffee with an explanation of the process:

http://www.orceserranohams.com/articles/spanish-coffee.htm

Ken
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Mar 16, 2012, 7:55pm

Andy,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It's intriguing to say the least, especially because I'm more of a softer earthier tone guy than the brighter notes.  I may try it some day, but I'll probably check out those links you and Craig provided first.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
VoodooChile
VoodooChile

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 2:32pm

yakster Said:

I've even heard of Malaysia white coffee from Ipoh which is roasted in margarine and said to have a caramelized flavor, but haven't tried it myself.

Posted March 16, 2012 link

I was lucky enough to be in Malaysia a couple years ago and the white coffee, either white or hot, is absolutely delicious.  There's an aspect of it (probably caused by roasting the beans in margarine) that is unlike any other coffee I've tried.  That, along with all the other great food in Malaysia, makes the trip worthwhile just from a culinary standpoint.
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 4:48pm

OK ... this got me curious enough I had to try it.  I searched and found several sites discussing "torrefacto" and there were many different descriptions about how it's done.  Anything from spraying sugar water on the green beans prior to roasting to dumping the roasted beans in hot caramelized sugar or sugar water to putting sugar in the roaster with the coffee.

I gave more weight to descriptions that said "my father used to roast it this way" or "my coffee roasting company roasts it like this" or "I saw them roasting it like this" ...

My first attempt .. probably not done correctly but it wasn't a total disaster and it smells great ... but I think I made it a bit messier than it needed to be.  Gonna wait a couple days to try an espresso but chewing the beans is pretty yummy right now.   I used "Sugar in the Raw" and roasted until second crack was just about to start - then I started sprinkling the sugar on the hot beans as they were just starting to crackle.  I use a BreadMachine roaster so the beans got a good stirring as the sugar was being sprinkled.  I put a bit too much I think as the beans quickly started to look like they were covered in honey and stuck together and the temp started to fall as I had the lid up and the heat off (though the beans were still crackling with second crack). I let it go like this for maybe 30 seconds and then cooled it.  (wish now that I'd kept the heat on it during this time)

And it cooled into a brick!  I had read that you stir the mass as it cools and then the beans all separate ... but my cooler works so quickly that it just instantly turned into a brick of coffee brittle (that really, really smelled good).  I grabbed a large stainless bowl and proceeded to manually break the brick apart into individual coffee beans. The sugar is not at all burnt - just nicely caramelized.  So the beans don't have that black, shiny surface I've seen (mine look more like they are glazed - like sugar pops)

So ... if I were doing this again (and I'm sure I will try it again) I would use less sugar (I used a couple of tablespoons for 400 grams of roasted coffee) and I would put it in a little sooner and put the heat back on it and let it burn the sugar a little.  Still not sure how I would cool it next time ... maybe on a cookie sheet with a fan blowing so I could separate the beans better.

I'll report back after I try brewing these ... I mixed them about 1 to 3 with regular roasted coffee.  I'll let you know how the grinder handles them and how it works as espresso.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 4:58pm

Awesome Andy,

I'm so glad you're experimenting with this.  I am extremely curious to hear how things go as you perfect the process.  I asked my mother-in-law, but she didn't know much about the process, and wouldn't you know it, she said I should have asked her nephew when he was here visiting from Venezuela to compete in the Houston Rodeo.  The saddest part is, I asked her about it two days after the nephew had left to go back to his ranch.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
wsikes
wsikes

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Promac MD-64 AT
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 5:23pm

I'm wondering what the effect would be on the grinder... wouldn't it tend to "gum up" the gears?

Bill
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 5:34pm

I read lots of stories at several websites ... only one guy mentioned that his grinder got gummed up but he indicated it was easy to clean up.  I suspect that if I were grinding nothing but these beans it would be more of a problem but I plan to grind a mixture of 1/3 of this coffee with 2/3 regular roast ... so I expect the regular roast will keep the burrs from gumming up.  But for sure I have considered the possibility that I'll be taking the burrs out and cleaning them one tooth at a time.  I'll let you know how it goes.

The beans don't feel the least bit sticky once cooled - unless you get them wet (or very hot) so I really don't expect the grinder to be bothered as it just doesn't get that hot (or wet).

But I do think I should have kept the heat on them after adding the sugar because all the pictures I've seen showed the beans looking glossy black and mine look like normal FC+ color but with a dull glaze.
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 6:23pm

AndyPanda Said:

But I do think I should have kept the heat on them after adding the sugar because all the pictures I've seen showed the beans looking glossy black and mine look like normal FC+ color but with a dull glaze.

Posted April 17, 2012 link

Traditionally most of this is very dark roasted but it was partly because of the poor defect village beans being used.
I think you got it about right. Plan the level of roast you want then add the sugar just so it will brown but not burn by dump time.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
piomike

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 5:14pm

Here is a link to and article about this type of coffee. I used to get one in mexico called Coffee Combate. Very nice stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrefacto
Snaxx

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 6:10pm

Making coffee healthier!!

Link to page describing recipe and procedure:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7705180_roast-torrefacto-coffee.html
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > roasting coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.324628829956)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+