Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
eBay Roaster-Does Anyone Know About it?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > eBay...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 5:55pm
Subject: Re: eBay Roaster-Does Anyone Know About it?

sesfinklbabyvox Said:

Something is wrong with BLD 1kg electric coffee roasters...

You can check 500g commercial electric coffee roaster as belows:
1.Batch capacity: 350g. Max:500g

2.Roasting time: 9-25minutes/Batch(Light/Middle/Deep)

Machine Dimension: 330*450*780mm

Machine NW:25kg

Cyclone Dimension:200*220*800mm

Cyclone NW:7kg

7.Voltage/Frequency: 110-220V/50-60Hz

8.Heating mode: Electric

Heating pipe: 800w 1pcs

10..Normal temperature rage: 0-230 degree

Main motor power:6w

12:Smoke extractor power: 70w

13.Cooling motor power:23w

14.All body is made of High temperature resistant

stainless steel.

Including chaff collector.

Flex pipe.

Two drums. One is for baking, another is cooling.

Drum thickness is 1.2mm, baking drum length is 200mm, cooling drum length is 170mm. Drum diameter: 120mm

Drum revolution is 65.

20.Temperature controller can adjust and set temp.

Posted July 8, 2013 link

What is wrong with BLD 1kb electric coffee roasters?  Are they 1/2 as bad as the one you are pushing?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Jul 28, 2013, 11:49am

My signature is BDL not BLD.  The roaster I bought from the E-Bay seller (who might not be on E-Bay any longer) is not a BLD either, it's an Amazon.  

This may come as a surprise to sesfinklbabyvox, but I've been completely honest and objective in discussing the Amazon and have not recommended it to other people over any other roaster, including the North roasters in particular.

The Amazon was slower than I'd expected; but at first it seemed that it wasn't too slow in that my initial roasts were all very good.  However, when the weather warms up in Southern California power supply gets iffy in my part of the San Gabriel Valley.      

Under normal conditions the Amazon has enough power to do great roasts for the 600g charge size I normally use -- and I got a couple dozen roasts to prove it.  But it doesn't have headroom to do it if the power is acting up -- summer is at least four months long here -- and I've got four or five roasts to prove that!

I tried using a 20A Variac, but the roaster's power spikes caused the Variac to blow fuses every or every-other roast.  Slo-blo fuses helped, but the as the fuse wasn't the only safety device on the circuit, the circuit breaker (dedicated 20A circuit) tripped all too often.

If I get up early, shut down our AC, and jump through a few other hoops, I can make the roaster work well enough to get good roasts. Alas, even then, it doesn't give me the scope to play with profiles in the ways I'd like, and the effect of the lousy electricity situation here is to make the roaster frustratingly inconsistent.

We don't have enough service for a sufficiently robust circuit to drive a "real" electric like the TJ-067 without adding another panel.  Because of the expense, as well as for some other reasons, an LPG-fired roaster is a more practical choice for our particular circumstances.  

I've ordered a US Roaster Corp Sample Roaster to replace the Amazon  While it's considerably more expensive than any of the "comparable" Chinese gas-fired roasters I decided that it was worthwhile to spend the extra money in order to:
(a)  Buy a known quantity (so much for being first);
(b)  Join a large and established user base whose members could and would help with profiling as well as hardware advice; and
(c)  Buy from a company whose reps actually roasted coffee themselves; and
(i)  Had an outstanding and proven track record of providing support, but
(ii) Which spoke English as a first language.  

That's not a way of saying that everyone should use the same criteria to reach the same conclusion.  There are plenty of good choices and plenty of right ways to reach any of several right destinations for the person making the choice.  The Amazon could work very well for many people, and so could many of the North machines.  

A final word to sesfinklbabyvox:  You're not helping yourself or your company.  Find some other way to advertise.   Your annoying sales pressure was one small reason I decided NOT to buy a North roaster.

BDL
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Aug 2, 2013, 7:54pm

Something in the Amazon -- chaff, residue, whatever -- was doing something to the smoke damper which allowed the machine to vent too much hot air.  When I cleaned it off, the roaster reverted to "barely fast enough," and I got what looks like excellent results.
  • 600g, 185C charging temp;
  • 16min 45sec charge to drop;
  • Slight drag in the drying period; and
  • A longer one in the interval between 1st and 2d C;
  • Appearance of the roasted beans -- smooth, evenly colored, with very few tippers or quakers;
  • FC/FC+.  

For a variety of reasons I'm still happy about the decision to move to a higher quality, gas fired roaster.  And, of course, I wish I'd skipped the Amazon and got what I really wanted all along.  At my age, I should know better.

But I think this goes to the point that there are lots of good roasters out there, and lots of different people roasting in lots of different ways.  The Amazon is a good choice for someone who is very hands-on, and wants to roast "slow and gentle," and/or in the slow and deep roasted "Latin" style.  

Best of all for me, there's no need fudge to sell it off, or feel bad for the buyer.  

BDL
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > eBay...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.223703861237)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+