Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Help me with my Behmor. PLEASE!
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Help me with my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Snaxx

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 6:12pm
Subject: Re: Help me with my Behmor. PLEASE!

Hi Jerry,

Good thoughts in your post with checking for differences in the phase to neutral volts right at the panel.  A loose connection or a bit of corrosion in any terminations in the panel could cause some of these issues, so having it checked out by a qualified person might be something to start with, though I doubt that the receptacle circuit in the garage is rated for 20 amp duty since there is such a difference between static voltage, and loaded with the roaster.    

JKalpin Said:

As a start, you might remove the front panel of your fuse-box and measure the phase-to-neutral voltages. (...Or, find a friend with a multimeter who is comfortable doing so.)  What you would find in the fuse-box is 3 wires coming in which might come off a municipal 208-Y-120 transformer.  So phase-to-phase might be 208V (for your stove and clothes-dryer) and phase-to neutral might be 120V (for your lighting and plug-in receptacles).

Posted December 21, 2012 link

What you're referring to with a 208v-Y, doesn't exist for common residential occupancies, that's only found in 3 phase installations for commercial and industrial purposes.  Residential services will have two phase wires coming in with 230-240v across the two phases and 115-120v from either phase to neutral.

Ken
 View Profile Link to this post
Rob989_69

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012, 5:42am

Thanks guys. I got everything to install the circuit. That I'm comfortable doing myself. However, I've decided I need an electrician. After looking at the box and the line in to it there is a good amount of corrosion in both areas. My basement leaks like nothing else and I know that has caused this. The circuit will get me by for now and I'm confident once I get everything else taken care of I'll have no problems whatsoever.

I did notice, while I was looking at the box last night, one side has a lot more fuses than the other. Now I don't think that's a "problem" but I do think it would be wise on my part to install the circuit onto the side that has less. Am I correct in thinking that?
Snaxx

Grinder: Capresso Infinity burr
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: I Roast2
Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012, 8:03am

Rob989_69 Said:

After looking at the box and the line in to it there is a good amount of corrosion in both areas.

I did notice, while I was looking at the box last night, one side has a lot more fuses than the other. Now I don't think that's a "problem" but I do think it would be wise on my part to install the circuit onto the side that has less. Am I correct in thinking that?

Posted December 22, 2012 link

Corrosion, if it's gotten into the terminations, either the main line, or on a breaker, could be a major concern causing the original low voltage problem, so that needs an inspection by someone qualified, just to keep you safe.

As to the number of breakers on one side of the panel or the other, that's unimportant, since the split phases alternate between A and B.  If you look at where the breakers plug onto the bus, phase A can feed a left and right breaker at the top slot , and phase B can feed a left and right breaker at second slot down, and so on down the panel.  Your added breaker for a new 120 volt circuit could go on either A or B.  If this was a 240 volt circuit for a stove or dryer or whatever, the breaker would be a 2 pole breaker and it would be fed by phase A and B.  

There could be an issue if your panel is unbalanced.  If you have a lot of load on one phase and little on the other, then that could  be an issue as to whether you would use phase A or B.  Likely, that won't be anything of concern in most homes unless you have a lot of heavy loads like little space heaters that draw lots of power plugged in to offset chilly rooms and they just happen to all be on the same line Phase.    

Ken
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012, 8:23am

I wonder if ...a little bit of 'cleanup' of the fusebox connections ...might solve your voltage problem without a new, dedicated circuit.  

Surely you could tell that with a multimeter reading a) line-side and b) load-side voltages.

Jerry
Rob989_69

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012, 4:30pm

Just wanted to report back. I installed a dedicated circuit, only 1 duplex receptacle directly to the box.

Initial reading is 117, drops to 113 under load which appears to be within the accepted tolerance. I ran a 1/4 lb setting and temp ran up to 388 in 10 minutes. Not sure what the normal ambient temp is inside during a roast but that's 25 degrees higher than the highest reading I got during a full lb roast on P1.

Long story short, much better, not great, but much better and I certainly think I'll be able to pull some good roasts out of this.

If anyone can get a reading of their ambient temp on a 10 minute P1 run I'd be interested to know. To get mine I used a meat thermometer which I placed on the bracket for the drum. I situated it such that it was not touching the side or any other metal and was level with the back of the drum.

As to the box, I've already been told the main needs replaced. And the box is in rough shape and needs to be replaced as well. i've been putting it off because I needed to finish other projects but it's time. I'll start the search for an electrician after the new year.
efilive

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II
Grinder: Macap M4D/Rocky...
Drip: capresso aroma...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012, 9:00pm

The only consistent test I can think of for a Behmor is to pick P1 1Lb and then check the time to the first time the element cycles off. If you listen carefully you can hear the relay click and the drum speed up slightly and then soon after the elements dim.
That number should tell you the relative difference between outlets and time of day.

Ira

The guy who wrote RoasterThing
www.RoasterThing.com
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 9:12am

My roasts are 10 oz. set for 1 lb.  After roasting, I net out 1/2 lb (which suits my usage).  But also, I get (roughly) 3 roasts from a 2 lb sample pack from Sweet Maria's.  But also, when I roast 10 oz set at 1 lb I don't have to preheat and I always complete the roast with 2 or 3 minutes before the Behmor would automatically go-to-cool.  I never have to add additional time ++'s, even when I start out below my normal voltage, say 118 instead of 120.  I have been roasting Monkey-Blend (P3) one full minute into the 2CR ...and still have time left over.

I suggest you do a few 10 oz roasts and report back on your low-voltage experience.  You might be just fine.

Jerry
obmcoffee
obmcoffee

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 12:41pm

I have just successfully roasted a batch of Kenya Kia-Ora Estate AA Organic (obtained through ).  I found this article helpful in the roasting process:  I also roasted the Mexico Altura Chiapas El Triunfo Organic... about 12 oz.  and used the 1lb. P3, B settings.  Keeping an eye on it, you can always add or subtract time on desired roast level.  I just thought I would throw in my experience with those two specific origins.
obmcoffee
obmcoffee

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 12:58pm

obtained through www.thecaptainscoffee.com and the article was: Click Here (eastcoastroasters.blogspot.com)
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 1:22pm

Prof Said:

One thing Joe mentions is that the time of day can mean different voltages.  Try in the AM or early PM and see what it reads.

Posted December 20, 2012 link

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Help me with my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.30982208252)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+