Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Home Roasting Talk
Stove top roasting for a freshie
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Stove top...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
krisfolde

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 6:16am
Subject: Stove top roasting for a freshie

Hi,
I spend way to much money on coffee beans and lately I have been drawn to the concept of home roasting. I think it is a good way to get great coffee and save some money as well..
anyway, here is my situation/question..

I live in an apartment and have been told that an electric popcorn roaster might cover my whole floor in chafe.. something I am not interested in;)
so I looked at stove top roasting with a popcorn pot ( he whierly pot to be more specific). That seemed like a cheap and good way for me to enter into the roasting community. The problem is, I have an induction stove top, so it wont take a basic aluminum pot like the whierly. Does anyone know if there is such a thing for an induction stove top, or perhaps there is a better way for me to enter the world of coffee roasting?

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 7:00am
Subject: Re: Stove top roasting for a freshie

Induction heat trasfer should help when roasting via stovetop because the slower the heat transfer the more control you have with temp changes if need be as well as less scortching of the coffee beans while roasting.  Here are the 2 best methods I have used and gotten PERFECT uniform roasted with amazing taste and aroma.

1. Stainless Steel Whirly POP
    Click Here

2. Tfal Skillet with a stovetop lid.
    Click Here

Both are solidly built to last. The Tfal you will have to shak manually and the Whirler POP you will have to crank.

Both are a bit of an arm workout but will give you great results.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
krisfolde

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 7:43am

Ok, good to know that the Whirly pop is a good way of roasting beans.

Hopefully it will work on an induction stove top. I have heard that if it is stainless steel then it should be ok.. but I  have contacted the manufacturor and hopefully they will be able to tell me.

Btw, did you notice a big difference in results with the two roasting techniques you've mentioned? If so, which one did you prefer and why?
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 8:56am

Yes I found that the Tfal was easier (shiffled the beans every 20-30sec).  Also a lot easier to clean.  The shuffling also aggitated the beans more so I got a better roast.  Cleaning was rince and repeat.  The whirley POP was a continuous churning of the beans.  If the induction turns out to be a problem a 700W portable electric burner works perfect! :)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
krisfolde

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 9:50am

I dont know what those are, a portable electric burner.. hm, could you eloborate a little?
Btw, thanks for your replies, I need all the help I can get at this time..:)
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 10:03am

Hi Kristen,

Welcome to the Coffeegeek forums! ;)

Google's your friend!, portable electric burners.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Lee_M
Lee_M

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: V60
Roaster: Popper
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 1:28pm

I wouldn't worry too much about chaff mess from an electric popper. If you use the lid, it's easily directed into a container. Even if you don't use a lid (I don't), it's only going to cover the surface you're roasting on, though it may also get in your hair. It only takes me five seconds to sweep the chaff off the counter I roast on into the trash. More importantly, I think, is what kind of roast you're looking for. An electric popper is going to give you a shorter, brighter roast, while the stovetop will tend to produce something smoother and fuller-bodied, but probably less even.
krisfolde

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 5:55am

Hi Lee_M
When I buy beans I tend to stick to a light to a medium roast because I find that the flavor of the beans come out more that way.
In my opinion, the body of the coffee is based in the the bean and maybe not so much in how dark the roast is, i.e. I can buy a light roast but still have tons of body.

Obviously I am new to roasting (in fact, I have never tried it:)) but are you saying that an electric popper is a quicker and hence influence how the coffee comes out (body, aroma, flavor)? When you say brighter roast, do you mean a lighter roast or a brighter body?

Btw, CraigA, thanks for the link and the welcome:)
dorkroast
dorkroast

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 9:08pm

I'd like to second that chaff shouldn't really be a problem. What I do is put a casserole dish/pan filled with a tiny bit of water out in front of the popper. The popper blows the vast majority of the chaff into the pan, the chaff then gets stuck in the water. Whatever is left over I just vacuum up. Chaff is so light that a vacuum easily sucks it up from quite a distance.

Also, there are certain beans that produce hardly any chaff at all. I roasted Malabar the other day and there was almost no chaff.

Definitely try home roasting, but I think a popper would be easier than using a pot on the stove (although truthfully I've only used a popper so I can't be sure).
brandonwagner

Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 12:20pm

Not sure if it's come up in your reading, but if you're concerned about covering your floor with chaff (which you won't), you may also want to consider how the smoke/smell may impact your apartment. If you have a good exhaust fan, you should be fine, but your apartment may start to smell like a roastery after not too long. It's not the worst thing in the world, in my opinion, but my wife may not agree.

For what it's worth, when I was an apartment-dweller I roasted on my balcony with a whirly pop and a camp stove and was pleased with the results.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Home Roast > Stove top...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.260627031326)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+